Rare “barn” find

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Crocokoala

Rare “barn” find

Post by Crocokoala »

Came across a rare bottle of Wynns John Riddock limited release from 1982, the first year it was made. It’s too good for me to open - what do I do with it? Label is damaged but it was stored wrapped in the original case

mychurch

Re: Rare “barn” find

Post by mychurch »

Where it was stored and level are more important than the original case. Given that it’s not cost you anything, just open and drink it - stand it up for a day and then pop and pour.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Crocokoala wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:59 pm Came across a rare bottle of Wynns John Riddock limited release from 1982, the first year it was made. It’s too good for me to open - what do I do with it? Label is damaged but it was stored wrapped in the original case
If you decide to sell, have a look at Langtons.com.au, and see what they've been going for. It will sell. You might get $500 for it if you're lucky. It's a sought-after wine.

What's the fill level like ? Into the neck or base of neck? That's a pretty good fill level for this wine, from what I've been seeing.

If it's in good condition, you could, as mychurch suggested, open and enjoy. It's an all-time great Australian wine.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

mjs

Post by mjs »

It's not exactly clear, but I assume you have acquired the JR at no cost. In any event, there's no reason not to drink it in my mind. Just be interesting to see if it is a good or exceptional bottle and enjoy it for what it is anyway. It's been an icon for many years.

It's 42 years old, so how it has been stored will be important to its current condition. If the fill levels are good, that's a good start, eg maybe no lower than just into the shoulder, base of neck as cuttlefish says. I would stand it up for a day before drinking, take care getting the cork out, old Wynns are notorious for crumbly corks ime, then carefully decant to get rid of any sediment, then get into it! Enjoy!

Sadly, I have just a single bottle left in the cellar, one of a couple of dozen purchased on release, have enjoyed dozens over the years. Waiting for a significant birthday later this year!
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short