Mount Edelstone

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
JamieAdelaide

Mount Edelstone

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Down the back of my cellar I’m finding unopened boxes of Mt Edelstone from the early 90’s, broken boxes from earlier and odd bottles from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. You can’t take them with you so I thought I’d do a large vertical in Hong Kong in January to get through many of them.

Just thought I’d start a thread on what’s been an incredible wine for me over the years. World Class! Be interested in folks experiences as I draw up which vintages I’ll put in the event. I work in the USA so if you think $140USD a bottle is expensive for this sort after wine, it may not be the thread for you.

So last night I cracked a 2001. Atypical of my experience with Mt Ed ( hot vintage ). I’ll put three bottles of ten 01 outside the tasting line-up and with dinner. What was typical was the room filling with beautiful spice and plum notes as the wine decanted.

Mike Hawkins

Re: Mount Edelstone

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Now you’re talking Jamie! My favourite Aussie wine, though it’s getting more expensive these days. The 82, 86, 90 and 91 are right at their apogee for my tastes. That said, I think Henschke whiffed 98-01 with lots of Brett. Hopefully your bottles will be ok

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

With age (25+ years) some of my American friends were blown away with the elegance and complexity of ME not often seen in SA Shiraz

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Yep, one of my favourite Aussie wines as well. ‘96 was special. Only have a few bottles in the cellar but did lash out on a couple of bottles of ‘18.
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I have a 96 standing up for then the weather cools here in ADL. I had it recently and it is now in the domain Mike alluded to. It’s Burgundy-like as much as SA Shiraz could be- best served in a Zalto Burgundy glass.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Concur totally with your sentiments Mike. I don’t have the 86 and am reluctant to source off the secondary market. It should be a capital offence home cellaring Mount Edelstone! So many weepers at auction now. I don’t believe it’s as durable as many wines, say the Penfolds clan, no doubt due Mt Edelstone being so beautifully nuanced and ethereal when aged and at its best!