TN: Peel Estate Shiraz 2017

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Peel Estate Shiraz 2017

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

After there was no Peel Estate Shiraz in 2014-2016, it's good to see it return with the 2017 vintage. Peel Estate does not release the wine until it's 6 years post-vintage. A vertical tasting of PE Shiraz I hosted back in 2015 came to the conclusion that the wines are best drunk between 10-14 years of age, so this is possibly being opened too young. Too late now.

Decanted 3 hours before service and the decanter returned to the cellar. Purple black in colour and quite dense. Intense nose of juicy black plums, blackberry, a little graphite, cedary oak, cloves and furniture polish. The palate is rich and mouthfilling, with grippy tannins underneath plush dark fruits and slightly tingly acid. Very long finish, and powerful without being too heavy.

Experience tells me this will get better with age, but it is looking pretty good now. I have most of a dozen, so will explore these over the next decade.

Cheers
Allan

PE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.