Wedding anniversary Shiraz suggestions

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Roundhogg

Wedding anniversary Shiraz suggestions

Post by Roundhogg »

Hey all.

Not very knowledgeable when it comes to wines, so hoping to get some guidance. I bought a bottle of Penfolds St Henri 2009 on our wedding day to drink on our 10th anniversary, which was July 2023 (it was really nice). Now looking to replace that for something for our 20th. Was looking at a bottle of Penfolds Grange 2013 but the price tag has me questioning that choice. I’ve been told Grange is overpriced/overhyped for what it is. Is this true? The list is probably endless, but is there a Shiraz that matches it with Grange for lesser price that I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

DJ

Re: Wedding anniversary Shiraz suggestions

Post by DJ »

If you like St Henri find a 2013 - should be singing in 2033 - bought a few on release which I have managed to keep my hands off to date - a birth year wine for 2 godsons - could easily be a 21st wine but I might just have to drink it myself :-)
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Most of the 13s I’ve tried were underwhelming, perhaps because many of the 10s and 12s were so good.

I know you asked for Shiraz, but an alternative would be a BdB from Champagne. Stay away from the Pinot dominant ones.

Roundhogg

Post by Roundhogg »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Appreciate it! Maybe the 2013 St Henri might be the go.

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

2013 seems to be a great vintage for Coonawarra - how about a Wynns Michael?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

kenzo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:30 pm 2013 seems to be a great vintage for Coonawarra - how about a Wynns Michael?
Of course I am completely biased...do have a soft spot for Wynns Michael. A 2019 last year was stunning.
Interestingly there was a '55 Michael at auction tonight...very low shoulder, (probably fu*ked then) at $3800. Long way from a bottle a few years back in far better condition, but equally a long way from $180 I paid for one 40 years ago :D :D :wink: :wink:
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

mjs

Post by mjs »

As much as I am a bit biased like phillisc, mate, it’s your wedding anniversary! Go the 2013 Grange, pick up one at auction, that would likely be the cheapest route, you’ve got time. Make sure you’ve got some idea of provenance, eg storage in professional facility, or underground cellar. It’s an occasion that demands a generous gesture!

If you don’t want to go the full tilt, then Henschke Mt Edelstone perhaps, or Standish The Standish, or Wynns Michael, or St Henri.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Roundhogg

Post by Roundhogg »

mjs wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:47 pm As much as I am a bit biased like phillisc, mate, it’s your wedding anniversary! Go the 2013 Grange, pick up one at auction, that would likely be the cheapest route, you’ve got time. Make sure you’ve got some idea of provenance, eg storage in professional facility, or underground cellar. It’s an occasion that demands a generous gesture!

If you don’t want to go the full tilt, then Henschke Mt Edelstone perhaps, or Standish The Standish, or Wynns Michael, or St Henri.
What are the best auction sites to keep an eye on?

I got a bit indecisive and bought both the St Henri and Michael 😅. But wouldn’t mind keeping an eye out for the Grange as well.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Mainstream auction houses Langton's and MW Wines, then Oddbins and Wickmans

https://www.langtons.com.au/auctions.html

https://www.mwwineauctions.com

https://auctions.oddbins.com.au/home/auctions

https://www.wickman.net.au

I have used them all, probably prefer MW for buying, but the others are good as well

[I suspect the above links are not loaded correctly, but you get the gist}
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Redav

Post by Redav »

Another vote for Mt Edelstone here, it's the nicest wine I've enjoyed. I picked up two 2010's for our anniversary, had one young and the other is waiting for our 20th. The price jumped a few years ago but it's still a lot cheaper than Grange.