Sami Watch

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
mychurch

Sami Watch

Post by mychurch »

I think a fairly large percentage of the Sami-Odi production is bought by board members - as a percentage it’s probably higher than the percentage of sales we generate for Wendouree.

Email must be due very soon as the info about the bottles are on the web. Scary statistic of the Our Hill production - 287 bottles filled.

I think I am in the 2nd days batch of emails, so I doubt I’ll get any of the Our Hill. Last year it was 3 of each, the previous year it was 6 of the Little and 3 each of the other 2. Not sure what to do for this year - the wines are now an ever present at auction, albeit for a price. I think 3n3 will be the order, but that will depend on the pricing . Will the Hoffman Dallwitz break the $100 barrier ?
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Hacker

Re: Sami Watch

Post by Hacker »

The website says available in January, last year it was 8 Jan. The OH wines seem to be in 3 packs, as are the others. The Hoffmann is $95pb, OH $75 and LW13 $65.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Will be my fourth year...happy with whatever I get.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Asked to join the mailer a few years ago got sent a reply which was quite mocking saying good luck, at least 5 years wait. Ah well. Cheers Ed

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

Dutch tulips. When it happens at home, much easier to understand why all the craziness in Burgundy has happened. Anyone for a glass of Bizot?? :roll:

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Had a number of friends by property in Burgundy to holiday in. I seriously joked with them would they go there to drink Rhone wines? Stupid prices for local wines otherwise! Now they are very wealthy people and when I caught up with them in Hong Kong they are selling their Burgundy cellars to buy more real estate- can’t justify drinking them. Burgundy is a curse! Sami sounds cheap and a more affordable epiphany!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Thanks, just had a look on the website... certainly won't be many punters getting any sort of allocation of the OH...only 23 dozen in total.
I will be very happy to get a couple or so of the other two.
Cheers Craig

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

What Sami Odi ordering level is everyone?

I know they have 6 levels

1 - tahi
2 - rua
3 - toru
4 - whā
5 - rima
6 - ono

I'm guessing 1 is the top. If anyone is a 1, when did you first start ordering?

They are numbers in Maori.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

As I said in the other thread, I’m RUA. Been on the list since 2014.

lew_drinks

Post by lew_drinks »

I’m Rima and this will be my fourth vintage…
Instagram: lew_drinks

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

email just sent out - so no one misses it on here.

no OH for me with the small quantity.

I'm Toru and the 2015 is my first vintage I have so this is vintage 8 for me.
Looking back it seems I bought first in Jan 2017.

Order placed got 9 DH and 3 Little #13

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

I'm Toru, only a newby- 5th vintage

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Rua, and 2012 was my first vintage. I grabbed 3 of each.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

I’m a Rua. Been ordering since 2014 (2012 was the first vintage I received).

I ordered 6 Dallwitz, 3 Little wine and 3 Our Hill.

Along with Standish, probably the mailer I look forward to the most. Absolutely incredible wines and the fact that Fraser is such a nice guy probably helps a bit too. Fraser has put me onto some other great wineries and experiences too, which is a mark of the man.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Rua for me too ... first order was 2014 (2012 first vintage and Little Wine #3). Been able to source Little Wine #2 since but still trying to find #1 on the secondary market to complete the vertical!
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

ticklenow1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:41 pm I’m a Rua. Been ordering since 2014 (2012 was the first vintage I received).

Along with Standish, probably the mailer I look forward to the most. Absolutely incredible wines and the fact that Fraser is such a nice guy probably helps a bit too. Fraser has put me onto some other great wineries and experiences too, which is a mark of the man.

Cheers
Ian
Hi Ticklenow1

Which wineries did Fraser put you on to ?

I spoke to him early on and he put me on to Brett at Eperosa.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Happy with what I was able to order this year, a few for me and a bottle or so for a fellow forumite :wink: :wink:
Received the "official" email this morning and had a lovely chat to Fraser, as I was not aware I was offered more wine this year, and could have purchased more, than in previous years.
Lesson for 2025 is there is no need to rush in straight away, unless one is offered the OH, which I wasn't.
Fraser indicated that 2023 release was looking favourable in terms of quantity.

Cheers Craig

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Frser has written some positive comments about Ruggabellus on WineFront and I think he is a fan. I know he brought some wierd aged semillon wine to a tasting in Sydney with Mike Bennie a while back - not sure if it was his attempt to do the same or not.

Always good to get insider information, but its hard now to get in before everyone else because news travels so fast - imagine a high proportion of us Sami Fans also have Setiono in the cellar, even though Sam has only made 2 vintages.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Think the jury is out for me at least re Setiono. A bottle from last years release had a distinctly bitter note and the level of acid was overpowering. I had somebody who works in the BV have a look at it, and their comment was around ripeness and picking at the right time, getting things right in the vineyard. Sam replaced the bottle which was good of her, so will be leaving the rest for some time, as they really need to settle.
I am looking at a few small BV labels before I sign off...Eperosa, Travis Earth, Stonegarten, Max and me, Quin and possibly Izway, Agricola...too many to choose from.
Cheers Craig

gwyn

Post by gwyn »

Rua for me. My first order was in 2011 (2009 vintage).

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Craig, were you able to up your order? I was also offered more, but had already put my order in on the assumption I'd be allocated the same as last year...

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

kenzo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:03 am Craig, were you able to up your order? I was also offered more, but had already put my order in on the assumption I'd be allocated the same as last year...
No. Fraser advised that I was unable to put in an update/second order. That's OK, got more this year than I ever had, but yes left a 3 pack behind. Yes agree the assumption has left us both short, lesson learned for next year. At least I am in the system now, so I will go for a full order next year.
the lad had indicated he would like a few in the future.

Cheers Craig

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

phillisc wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:17 am Think the jury is out for me at least re Setiono. A bottle from last years release had a distinctly bitter note and the level of acid was overpowering. I had somebody who works in the BV have a look at it, and their comment was around ripeness and picking at the right time, getting things right in the vineyard. Sam replaced the bottle which was good of her, so will be leaving the rest for some time, as they really need to settle.
I am looking at a few small BV labels before I sign off...Eperosa, Travis Earth, Stonegarten, Max and me, Quin and possibly Izway, Agricola...too many to choose from.
Cheers Craig
I got both the Setiono wines from 22 to try.

I have a bit of Eperosa but picked up some that had very high levels of Brett (ironic given that's its both the winemaker and my name). It's been a bit hit and miss. I should get some more and try them again. Long and multiple decants didn't do anything.

I have some Agricola that I picked up as well.

Given all the SO here we should arrange a vertical offline. If Fraser was around I'm sure he'd be up to attend.
Thoughts?

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Croquet King wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:15 am
ticklenow1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:41 pm I’m a Rua. Been ordering since 2014 (2012 was the first vintage I received).

Cheers
Ian
Hi Ticklenow1

Which wineries did Fraser put you on to ?

I spoke to him early on and he put me on to Brett at Eperosa.
Agricola, when Callum first started out on his own. When I told Fraser I love Grenache he organised a tasting with Marco Cirillo.
Fraser is one of the true nice guys of not just the wine world, but the world in general.
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

I haven't met Fraser, but have sent him many an email and have spoken to him a number of times and yes he seems very level headed and generous with his time.

He reminds me a bit of Drew Noon, another gentleman of the industry.
cheers Craig

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

ticklenow1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:38 pm Fraser is one of the true nice guys of not just the wine world, but the world in general.
Couldn't agree with you more ... can remember back in the day when Fraser was the Sydney Torbreck rep and he used to turn up now and again to the monthly Gladesville Brown Paper Bag club organised by the owner of the Gladesville Porters ... his name escapes me, the store no longer exists unfortunately. :( Anyway, Fraser would bring some very interesting bottles which most of us had never heard of ... and even then he used to talk about his dream of moving to the Barossa and making his own wine. Fantastic it has all worked out for him as we are all now enjoying his dream as well :D
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

I got the offer today, used to be on his list. Might take a pack of the little wine just for fun, got a mate who loves the stuff. As good as any if you are into Barossa shiraz that doesn't taste like a blueberry milkshake. Sad its becoming a cult wine, nothing good ever comes from those transformations.

Speaking of other great wines, if you get a chance, try the new DC Shaw stuff, absolutely brilliant. The Piccadilly chardonnay is an absolute cracker, as good a white out of SA as I've seen. The bad news is he only made 98 dozen of it.

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

felixp21 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:43 pm I got the offer today, used to be on his list. Might take a pack of the little wine just for fun, got a mate who loves the stuff. As good as any if you are into Barossa shiraz that doesn't taste like a blueberry milkshake. Sad its becoming a cult wine, nothing good ever comes from those transformations.

Speaking of other great wines, if you get a chance, try the new DC Shaw stuff, absolutely brilliant. The Piccadilly chardonnay is an absolute cracker, as good a white out of SA as I've seen. The bad news is he only made 98 dozen of it.
Based on your recommendation I've just purchased the mixed 6 pack from DC Shaw. 2 each of the 2 chardonnays and shiraz.
I have a feeling that he worked at Pooley for while and looked after me at cellar door when they were busy.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

mychurch wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:16 pm As I said in the other thread, I’m RUA. Been on the list since 2014.
I note you are the same as me, RUA, yet your email landed Sunday night and mine at 8.30am Monday morning. I’m not complaining, I’m very happy with timing etc. but there seems to be a slight difference in emails landing.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

mychurch wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:16 pm As I said in the other thread, I’m RUA. Been on the list since 2014.
I note you are the same as me, RUA, yet your email landed Sunday night and mine at 8.30am Monday morning. I’m not complaining, I’m very happy with timing etc. but there seems to be a slight difference in emails landing.