Craiglee Vertical Adelaide

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
JamieAdelaide

Craiglee Vertical Adelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Just a heads up I’m planning to open a bunch of these back to the late 80’s and including my fav vintages 90 & 97. I’ll do the vertical at my place on North Adelaide ( near Kentish pub ) and take a few bottles to Lezizz on Melbourne St afterward, to match with Persian food. Anyone in ADL interested more than welcome. 13/10.

Gavin Trott

Re: Craiglee Vertical Adelaide

Post by Gavin Trott »

Jamie

Sounds like fun, but I've finished all my Craiglee's quite some time ago, and not gathered more.
regards

Gavin Trott

Con J

Post by Con J »

Wish I was in Adelaide :cry:

Cheers Con.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

How’s the 84 Con? Come over anyways. Adelaide is a great town ( ex~MEL here )

I was in my cellar today there’s at least 12 vintages. I’ll open the lot if enough folks here.

Great Gavin I’ll be in touch. Round up a few of the old timers.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

I’m in SA a week later for a Rockford lunch, it’s a shame I’m missing out by a week

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

What a pity. More the merrier for Craiglee as I’d open more bottles to broaden the tasting. A few bottles over dinner with cuisine from Shiraz kind of novel too.

Rockford lunches are fantastic. Often it’s about the food & company as ny last the wines were pretty youthful.

I’ve got a stack of Rockfords needing drinking too. 😎

Con J

Post by Con J »

I would have seriously considered making the trip for this but I’m going to the Yarra Valley on the 14th. Going to Wantirna Estate open day to pick up my order, lunch and few other wineries, I think Mount Mary might be open too.

Haven’t been to Adelaide for few years, might have to organise trip very soon.

The Craglee is a 1981, level is in the neck and no sign of leakage. Hard to see in the bottle because the whole bottle is stained inside.

Cheers Con.

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

I wish I could make it Jamie. Will be a lot of fun as Craiglee Shiraz ages wonderfully.

I love Craiglee wines, not just the Shiraz. I also happen to only live 20-25 minutes from the winery.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I started buying them early 90’s and worked at the airport lived in Macedon Ranges, driving past the winery most days. Craiglee and Langi at $18 a bottle and boy were they wonderful styles.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

We lived in Sunbury for the past five years or so until about nine months ago, so did visit the cellar door occasionally. Was always a bit of a buzz down there on open days. Still only a very short drive from town. You wouldn't recognise the back road to the airport from Sunbury now, Jamie. It's being heavily developed. Especially the Sunbury side of Bulla. Not the dream-run it once was.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Oh boy, that would be awesome. Just flew back to Canberra today after a week in the Barossa visiting relatives. I've got a couple in the cellar but have never opened them. 😁

mjs

Post by mjs »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:58 am Just a heads up I’m planning to open a bunch of these back to the late 80’s and including my fav vintages 90 & 97. I’ll do the vertical at my place on North Adelaide ( near Kentish pub ) and take a few bottles to Lezizz on Melbourne St afterward, to match with Persian food. Anyone in ADL interested more than welcome. 13/10.
Jamie,
Thanks, great initiative. As I said in the other thread, unfortunately I will be in Coonawarra all weekend. Maybe some other time
cheers Malcolm

ps: just out of interest, my son is flying 747's for Atlas atm
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Ah that’s fantastic. Hope it works out for him. It is the place to be for aviation and a much better career choice than flying in Australia! Hope he brings you some nice Cal wines.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:18 pm How’s the 84 Con? Come over anyways. Adelaide is a great town ( ex~MEL here )

I was in my cellar today there’s at least 12 vintages. I’ll open the lot if enough folks here.

Great Gavin I’ll be in touch. Round up a few of the old timers.
OK sounds great.
regards

Gavin Trott

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

1730-ish I’ll text the address

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Really happy with Craiglee. I was very impressed and the highlight a 99 Craiglee magnum that was up against good company in magnums of 89 and 93 Grange, 96 and 99 Basket Press, 98 Turkey Flat, 02 Coriole Lloyd Reserve and a few foreigners.

Regular bottles of Craiglee back to 90 I thought excellent. Professional cellaring kicked in and upstaged those which were not IMO.

Nice to catch up with a small group and hopefully wet the whistle for an occasional ADL catch up with outstanding wines. I know there’s something else in the wind but I’d be happy to do a small but amazing Barolo event. I’ll open anything with 20 + years except Monfortino and Crichet Paje. So could do Mascarello ( both ) or Cappellano.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:14 am Really happy with Craiglee. I was very impressed and the highlight a 99 Craiglee magnum that was up against good company in magnums of 89 and 93 Grange, 96 and 99 Basket Press, 98 Turkey Flat, 02 Coriole Lloyd Reserve and a few foreigners.

Regular bottles of Craiglee back to 90 I thought excellent. Professional cellaring kicked in and upstaged those which were not IMO.

Nice to catch up with a small group and hopefully wet the whistle for an occasional ADL catch up with outstanding wines. I know there’s something else in the wind but I’d be happy to do a small but amazing Barolo event. I’ll open anything with 20 + years except Monfortino and Crichet Paje. So could do Mascarello ( both ) or Cappellano.
Great night, thanks Jamie, wines showed well, and nice catch up and meal after, thanks again!

Love to do a Barolo event. Can contribute 'reasonably' well, that is, good producers, good vineyards, probably from 2010, or 2013, or 2016.

However, could not do 20+ years old, or the G Rinaldi and Mascarellos of this world, out of my league ($), and not in my cellar.

So may not do, but happy to bring Cavalotto, or F Rinaldi, or Sordo or Oddero or Massolino etc.

Let's see the interest, and the potential wines?
regards

Gavin Trott

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

G’day Gavin. I’d be happy to do a small horizontal of rare Barolo from my cellar and then a free for all at dinner where we all contribute a bottle from our cellar. Or if someone doesn’t have anything to contribute and not comfortable with turning up empty handed, they can take something from my cellar at the cost I bought ( bugger all compared to here ) I did this in Hong Kong with Burgundy drinking. I wasn’t comfortable with not being able to contribute to some events with friends who had Burgundy cellars. I’d insist in paying for a bottle for what they paid. They’d try to shrug it off but it made me feel like I’d contributed and at least not look like a mug for not trying.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

G'day Jamie

Sounds great to me, I'd be keen, and a great chance to try a properly aged Barolo, as I've not tried anything older than say 12 or 13 years.

Great opportunity, count me, 'in'.
regards

Gavin Trott

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Had my last bottle of 2004 Craiglee Shiraz the other day - gee what a good wine!

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Beautiful wine the 04. Had an 03 last night which was average. Craiglee’s expression suffers in hot years.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Gavin Trott wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:38 am G'day Jamie

Sounds great to me, I'd be keen, and a great chance to try a properly aged Barolo, as I've not tried anything older than say 12 or 13 years.

Great opportunity, count me, 'in'.

I’ve got to sort my cellar out. I’ve enjoyed the catch-ups and I know Mark has something planned in Feb. I come off rotation in two weeks but have to host a Grange event in HKG.

I’m keen to look at my Brunellos. I bought a big amount on early 2000’s and need to see what’s going on. Top ones including Soldare, Biondi Santi and my favourites Salvioni. Plus many others I really need to assess. That’s my next event and we can kick on to modest Adelaide Italian fare!