TN: Poliziano Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2019 and 2020

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Waiters Friend

TN: Poliziano Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2019 and 2020

Post by Waiters Friend »

Purchased at restaurants in Lucca (and consumed on separate nights!).

2019: Crimson in the glass. Dark and red cherry, cocoa powder, mocha, and dried herbs on the nose. The palate is moderately rich, with ripe cherry fruits, a little leather, dark chocolate, and more of the herbs. Tannins are drying, and acid is freshening the wine. Good length and overall very satisfying. This has everything, without being too heavy or big. Well balanced and should hold well.

2020: Similar notes to 2019, just not quite as balanced and without quite the same level of intensity. Good wine, but the 2019 outshines it.

I would happily buy both wines in Australia, but they are hard to come by (in Perth, anyway).

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Ian S

Re: TN: Poliziano Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2019 and 2020

Post by Ian S »

I just had a quick web search, and I think the only VNdiM I could find in Perth were auction lots!! That's a shame, as I love the wines from here, often leaner/bonier than the Poliziano. They're definitely one of the big names in the region, vying with Avignonesi for the most prestigious Stazione Montepulciano wineries and possibly Dei & Boscarelli when including those in Montepulciano itself. Contucci also worth a mention, for proudly doing it their own way. Others I've enjoyed are more under the radar - Crociani in the town, plus Daviddi nr. Stazione Montepulciano. Plenty of other good producers, and I very much doubt I've even tasted half of what's there, so there are probably some other gems.

Waiters Friend

Re: TN: Poliziano Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2019 and 2020

Post by Waiters Friend »

Ian S wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:57 am I just had a quick web search, and I think the only VNdiM I could find in Perth were auction lots!! That's a shame, as I love the wines from here, often leaner/bonier than the Poliziano. They're definitely one of the big names in the region, vying with Avignonesi for the most prestigious Stazione Montepulciano wineries and possibly Dei & Boscarelli when including those in Montepulciano itself. Contucci also worth a mention, for proudly doing it their own way. Others I've enjoyed are more under the radar - Crociani in the town, plus Daviddi nr. Stazione Montepulciano. Plenty of other good producers, and I very much doubt I've even tasted half of what's there, so there are probably some other gems.
Thanks Ian.

I'm also a fan of Ercolani (which has a shopfront and caves our in the lower end of the old city) and have imported their wines back o Australia after dealing direct (they cover the freight costs as well). A commercial operation, but I like their Riserva and Apostole wines.

Agree with Dei, Avignonesi and Boscarelli (the latter of which I can buy in Perth for $80) but Poliziano still is a cut above for my money.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.