Valpolicella recommendations

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Waiters Friend

Valpolicella recommendations

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

Further to the discussion that has taken place on the "Anyone Travelling to Italy" thread, we have largely planned our forthcoming Italian trip, but still have a week to explore. We would like to explore the area around Verona / Lake Garda, and perhaps up into the Alto Adige (especially as we will be heading into Austria from there). Valpolicella holds some interest for me, as do the aromatic whites in the Italian Alps.

Please let me have your recommendations for places to stay - preferably those that fall into the 'wine resort' category, where we can tour the cellars and vineyard (or someone else's winery and vineyard) and with a decent restaurant (onsite or locally). Alternatively, places to visit that have hit the spot for you on your visits.

Ian S, thank you for your thoughts already, on another post. Plenty to work with.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Ian S

Re: Valpolicella recommendations

Post by Ian S »

Hi Allan
I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but we stayed nr Mezzane di Sotto, to the north-east of Verona, and the place we stayed in ticks most, but not all the boxes for you. It's Massimago https://massimago.com/massimago-wine-relais/:

+ very classy setting with pool, sauna, charming grounds with fruit trees, gardens, walks through the vineyards etc.
+/- The self-catering apartments were well fitted, but not particularly large
+ Breakfast included was exceptional by Italian standards, and delivered to your patio seating outside the front door of the apartment
+ They are winemakers and the wines were good, though not the very best we tasted (which were Gini for Soave, Roccolo Grassi for Valpolicella, Marco Mosconi for Recioto della Valpolicella)
-/+ No onsite restaurant, but walkable to a modest selection of places to eat in Mezzane di Sotto

There's also a games room which had an old billiards table and a few other things, though it was all a little tired

Also of note that in September, the mozzies were especially voracious, though we got some good cream from a farmacia in Verona that worked brilliantly post-bite.

jimv

Post by jimv »

We stayed here a few years ago, part of Tommasi winery, very good:

https://www.expedia.com.au/Verona-Hotels-Vil ... nformation

The Rossetto supermarket nearby has a good selection of local wines at very good prices:
Via Case Sparse Conca d'Oro, 15, 37015 Sant'Ambrogio di Valpolicella VR, Italy
There are a number of these in the Verona area.

Can also recommend Hotel Relais in Soave
https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/relais.en-g ... tal;ucfs=1&

Hotel Le Palme on Lake Garda
https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/le-palme-li ... tal;ucfs=1&

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

jimv wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:12 pm Hotel Le Palme on Lake Garda
G'day Jim. My partner has selected Limone Sul Garda as our place to be on the lake, and after much research, Hotel Le Palme got the nod, for four nights. Thanks for the recommendatiuon.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

jimv

Post by jimv »

Waiters Friend wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:07 am
jimv wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:12 pm Hotel Le Palme on Lake Garda
G'day Jim. My partner has selected Limone Sul Garda as our place to be on the lake, and after much research, Hotel Le Palme got the nod, for four nights. Thanks for the recommendatiuon.

Cheers
Allan
That's good to hear Allan. Parking is an experience, you need to go to their sister hotel which is on the main road and then the assistant takes you and your belongings down the narrow alley way in a golf buggy to the hotel. Lots of fun.