Lowest Price for 2001 707 and RWT

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
jacques

Lowest Price for 2001 707 and RWT

Post by jacques »

The price for these two wines rise significantly this year,
What is the lowest price you can get in Australia?
I paid $A120 per bottle and I bought half dozen of each.
How about you guys?
Last edited by jacques on Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Billy Bolonski

Post by Billy Bolonski »

Find a friend in retail. I pay cost. It is the only way to go.

I found the price jump to be well accepted by the market unfortunately. Looks like that will be the way of the future.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Billy,

I disagree. I'd have to say the price rises have not been well accepted by the market. Everyone I've spoken to is either (a) significantly reducing their normal purchase levels of 707 & RWT or (b) like me, not buying either one at all.

Southcorp have some strange ideas, and I think they will continue to struggle while they disenfranchise customers that once bought their super-premium wines. After all, there are heaps of wines just as good at roughly half the price.

Post by Guest »

Billy Bolonski wrote:Find a friend in retail. I pay cost. It is the only way to go.

I found the price jump to be well accepted by the market unfortunately. Looks like that will be the way of the future.

So how much is the cost?

jacques

Post by jacques »

Mike Hawkins wrote:Billy,

I disagree. I'd have to say the price rises have not been well accepted by the market. Everyone I've spoken to is either (a) significantly reducing their normal purchase levels of 707 & RWT or (b) like me, not buying either one at all.

Agreed, I used to buy at least two dozens of each in the past few years when it only cost me around $80 per bottle. :evil:
Moreover, I didn't buy any Grange this year too... :evil: :evil:

TORB

Post by TORB »

Mike Hawkins wrote:Southcorp have some strange ideas, and I think they will continue to struggle while they disenfranchise customers that once bought their super-premium wines. After all, there are heaps of wines just as good at roughly half the price.

Mike,

I do not disagree with the sentiment, but I doubt that SC cares about the "disenfranchise customers" as they now with export markets, the excess just goes overseas. I wrote an article that touched on this topic here http://www.torbwine.com/index.htm?..//pa/2004/A%20Better%20Way%20to%20Distribute%20Grange.htm and will have more to say about it in Chapter 3 of the Tour Diary which will be out next week.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

merlot 128

Post by merlot 128 »

They are both selling in Perth at about $150
The good fine wine store have given up trying to get stock from SC and are going around buying all thay can get as SC only gives them a few 6 packs of each. This is when you see it for arount the $120 mark

what do you think of the wines?

I have tried twice and was not impressed they are both all fruit nice oak but not what they were. The RWT is now a fruit bomb and I think that is a shame as the 98 and 99 style were some of the best Shz in OZ.

also SC have must be starting to worry as there are large amounts of Grange in the auction market at good prices from the UK and US markets coming back to OZ.

The store i work in is looking at a 300 bottle lot of 98 grange at about $395 so we can keep some back vintages .

Billy Bolonski

Post by Billy Bolonski »

Yes, my point was about the market, not traditional customers.

Most retail outlets have more demand than supply, that I have seen.

I can remember 98 707 going for $75 retail only a couple of years ago. I can't see those sorts of prices ever returning.

Several of my friends have been able to pick up some real bargains in the US. Much cheaper that you can get in OZ. I am sure some of it will find its way back here.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I recall 1990 Bin 707 could be aquired for $30 on release. Things have changed somewhat and so has the competition. Be careful SC.

Chuck