Gamay

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Matt

Gamay

Post by Matt »

Having found a new appreciation for lighter reds I was hoping a few if you could recommend some inexpensive gamay’s. Ie good midweek value.

Cheers

felixp21

Re: Gamay

Post by felixp21 »

Sorrenberg. Australia's most interesting red, and amongst it's best.

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

I know it's a blend but the DeBortoli 'La Boheme' Shiraz-Gamay is a great, light bodied but flavoursome red, and at $22 is a steal.
There are also a host of good value Pinot Noirs around, in the $25 - 30 range.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Keep they coming - will def try those two. Thx

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

You should be able to find Beaujolais at fair prices....Maybe not the top producers but there are plenty of good ones that are affordable..

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Polymer wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:55 am You should be able to find Beaujolais at fair prices....Maybe not the top producers but there are plenty of good ones that are affordable..
If you're going down the Beaujolais path, beware of the examples of lesser communes and / or lesser vintages, that might not have travelled well and / or the Freight and tax charges that makes the prices unjustifiable. Look for more full-bodied communes like Moulin A Vent or Morgon from a good year, from a good producer. Beaujolais is really a bottled 'jug' wine to be enjoyed fresh and young in a close by, French bistro.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

I love Gamay as an easy drinking mid-week type of wine.

I just had a look what would be available at Uncle Dan's for example, because I suspect a lot of what I drink in France for €8-15 is probably disproportionately more expensive in Aus. Sadly, not a wide range (only 28 wines). From that some suggestions:

Georges Duboeuf is a reliable cheap producer, but I would probably balk paying over $20 for any of their entry wines.
Mommessin - I have had the Fleurie and thought it was pretty decent ... $23.80 in any six doesn't seem too far off the mark. I haven't tried the others but they could also be worth a look at that type of pricing.
I did not know Te Mata do a Gamay... any one tried this?

Apart from that, producers I really like (but which might not fit the mid-week price goal in Oz) would be:
Daniel Bouland (really excellent wines across the sub-regions)
Château des Jacques (a Louis Jadot property)
Clos de la Roilette (fantastic value, at least in FR, old school charm)
Jean Foillard (a little more exxy but quality wines)
------------------------------------
Sam

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Cloudwine currently have a 3-bottle Beaujolais offer for 3 Jadot wines, although the Villages wine would make the other two rather expensive.
Also, don't overlook the reds of the Loire if you're looking for lighter, flavoursome reds, principally from Cab. Franc - Chinon reds from a good year are usually good value.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

agree on Loire reds.
Some good options in Italy, e.g. Bardolino, some of the lesser known Piemontese grapes e.g. Freisa & Grignolino and Aostan nebbiolo
Might also be worth trying German reds if they ever make it to Aus/NZ

Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks all. V much appreciated. I will explore all recommendations and regions.

Matt

Post by Matt »

sjw_11 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:58 pm I love Gamay as an easy drinking mid-week type of wine.

I just had a look what would be available at Uncle Dan's for example, because I suspect a lot of what I drink in France for €8-15 is probably disproportionately more expensive in Aus. Sadly, not a wide range (only 28 wines). From that some suggestions:

Georges Duboeuf is a reliable cheap producer, but I would probably balk paying over $20 for any of their entry wines.
Mommessin - I have had the Fleurie and thought it was pretty decent ... $23.80 in any six doesn't seem too far off the mark. I haven't tried the others but they could also be worth a look at that type of pricing.
I did not know Te Mata do a Gamay... any one tried this?

Apart from that, producers I really like (but which might not fit the mid-week price goal in Oz) would be:
Daniel Bouland (really excellent wines across the sub-regions)
Château des Jacques (a Louis Jadot property)
Clos de la Roilette (fantastic value, at least in FR, old school charm)
Jean Foillard (a little more exxy but quality wines)
I can confirm the Te Mata is a goody. I found them for $20 - very subtle rose petal notes. Not overly complex. Perfect for when you don’t want to think about what your drinking. I imagine chilled down in summer would be good.

This has been my fave thus far;
2021 La Ficelle de Saint-Pourcain Gamay Pinot Noir