TN: John Kosovich Reserve Chardonnay 2016

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: John Kosovich Reserve Chardonnay 2016

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

I've been a long term purchaser of this Swan Valley winery's product, and have a particular fondness for their Cabernet Malbec, as well as their Chardonnay. Much of the fruit (especially the chardonnay) is sourced from Pemberton, and the chardonnays I have been buying for years have had the Pemberton fruit source. However, the Kosovichs also grow chardonnay on their upper Swan Valley vineyard, and it's usually gone into their unwooded chardonnay.

I was therefore surprised when I popped into their cellar door (an underground cellar, reeking of history) to find a Reserve Swan Valley chardonnay on offer. This has been vinified in a similar fashion to the Pemberton chardonnays usually on offer; and the oak provides a lovely vanilla backdrop to the back palate.

Yellow in the glass with gold flashes. Lots of nectarines and peaches on the nose, along with vanillan oak and cashew nut. The fruits persist through the palate, a combination of rich soft fleshy peach and tangy nectarine. The aforementioned oak and freshening acid supports the fruit without dominating or making the wine too full. The finish, however, lingers quite long.

Who says you can't make excellent chardonnay in a warm climate. Kosovich has got the balance right with this one.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.