January 2022 Purchases

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
phillisc

January 2022 Purchases

Post by phillisc »

Well, I will kick off the new year.
Mixed dozen Bondar 2019 Rayner Shiraz and 2020 Midnight Hour Shiraz
6 2021 Riesling Freak No 12
Aware that a couple of posters have referred to Sami Odi purchases, but think these all occurred in the last 48 hours.
Been on the mailer for just two years, happy to start the journey with a mixed sixer of Dallwitz and Little wine.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

mjs

Re: January 2022 Purchases

Post by mjs »

Modest purchase on the secondary market ...

4 x 1997 Majella The Malleea Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Lucky enough to pick up some of the latest Sami-Odi offerings.
6 x 2020 Hoff/Dal shiraz
3 x Little 11
3 x 2020 Our Hill Shiraz
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

6 x 2017 Mt Pleasant 'Philip' Shiraz at a silly price
4 x 2020 Domaine Naturaliste 'Artus' Chardonnay
Some half bottles of 2015 Kaesler Avignon and 2018 Nick O'leary Chardonnay
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Michael McNally wrote:6 x 2017 Mt Pleasant 'Philip' Shiraz at a silly price
I love finding wine at silly prices, they are one of the best part about wine hunting, though it can get to be a problem if spoken about too loudly.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

12 x 2012 Dom Perignon… can’t wait to try it

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Went for some plush wines at an auction, managed to pick up:

Mouton Rothschild 1970 x 1
Grange Hermitage 1975 x 1
Château D'Issan 2001 x 6

brodie

Post by brodie »

Dragzworthy wrote:Went for some plush wines at an auction, managed to pick up:

Château D'Issan 2001 x 6
Nice.

Had the 1970 Mouton out of magnum on Saturday. it was magnificent in an old school claret kind of way. Vibrant and long with just a touch of dried herbs to add interest

Brodie

brodie

Post by brodie »

6 x 2011 Ch. Magdelaine
1x 2006 Ch. Magdelaine
1 x 2010 Ch. Rayas

Con J

Post by Con J »

A few auction buys from last week.

1 X 1971 – Hardys – Bin C986 Cabernet Sauvignon Claret.
1 X 1971 – Kaiser Stuhl – Red Ribbon Shiraz.
1 X 1962 – Lindemans – Bin 3080 Show Reserve Porphyry Semillon.
2 X 1991 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
2 X 1996 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
2 X 1999 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
1 X 2000 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
2 X 1966 – Wynns – Cabernet Sauvignon.
1 X 1957 – Wynns – Claret.

Cheers Con.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Con,

I saw those two Wynns lots. hope they are in good nick, have had them before and they have been great. My modest purchases were:

2 x 2004 Katnook Odyssey Cabernet Sauvignon
6 x 1999 Vasse Felix Classic Dry Red (was a bargain I couldn't pass up)
3 x 2013 Yalumba The Menzies Cabernet Sauvignon
1 x 2005 Ch Giscours 3me Cru Bordeaux

cheers, Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Con J wrote:A few auction buys from last week.

1 X 1971 – Hardys – Bin C986 Cabernet Sauvignon Claret.
1 X 1971 – Kaiser Stuhl – Red Ribbon Shiraz.
1 X 1962 – Lindemans – Bin 3080 Show Reserve Porphyry Semillon.
2 X 1991 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
2 X 1996 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
2 X 1999 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
1 X 2000 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
2 X 1966 – Wynns – Cabernet Sauvignon.
1 X 1957 – Wynns – Claret.

Cheers Con.
I had my eye on a few of those, particularly the Lindemans. They've waited though to sell when the vintage becomes significant, and I dont really want to pay that extra premium. Mute point though as for the 2nd auction in a row I missed the last 10 minutes when all the action happens - really wanted those 04 Pavillion Blanc
Last edited by mychurch on Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Con, think I have asked you before, was the auction house MW?
I have 66 and 68 will open one of each at some point.
Langton's had a 65 (birth year) in a December auction last year, think the bid was $360ish and I missed out.
Good pick up on the Menzies and the Katnook Malcolm

Cheers Craig

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

16 x 2003 Pichon Lalande - auction.
Thought I'd be 'pinked out' on a number of them well before 6pm, but because of the huge Bordeaux component of the auction ( from a collector on the Mornington Peninsula apparently ) ended up with the lot!
Still, next year they will be 20 years old.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Bought a bunch of wines at Auction last night. Noting ridiculously expensive or of note. Just under-$30 for entertaining and keeping uninterested folks away from my good stuff. Some Reserve Wild Duck Shiraz and a magnum of Lindemans commemorative 1990 Cabernet of note
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

mjs

Post by mjs »

JamieBahrain wrote:Bought a bunch of wines at Auction last night. Noting ridiculously expensive or of note. Just under-$30 for entertaining and keeping uninterested folks away from my good stuff. Some Reserve Wild Duck Shiraz and a magnum of Lindemans commemorative 1990 Cabernet of note
Jamie,
Good luck with the Lindemans, hope it’s ok. Have had several mags of this over the years. Hasn’t really been getting any better for some years now, so much so that I don’t think I’d go there again.
Cheers, Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Ah what a bugger Malcom. I’m a massive fan of old Coonawarra in magnum. Had some fantastic experiences. I’ll present this one to the in-laws :lol:
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

mjs

Post by mjs »

JamieBahrain wrote:Ah what a bugger Malcom. I’m a massive fan of old Coonawarra in magnum. Had some fantastic experiences. I’ll present this one to the in-laws :lol:
Goes without saying that I am a similar fan! :lol: :lol:

A few examples sitting in the cellar atm. Probably the best recent mag from that category was a 91 Wynns Centenary, just wonderful. Some Katnook (double mags), Redman, Balnaves, Rymill and Wynns to come :D :D
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes indeed, forgot that I have 72 and 82 BL in magnum format. Still curse myself that I never purchased Centenary magnums on release (around $80 IIRC). See that there were 2 at auction recently for $390...don't know if that's a good buy??

A few JR and Michael magnums too.
Missed out on the '19 Redman cab, but will start looking at the Katnook cabernet...too many wines to consider :oops: :oops:

Cheers Craig

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

72 being a birth year I did pick up a 750ml bottle of Wynss BL to try for my 50th, along with the usual Penfolds and Henschke suspects. A magnum would of course be much better! Only problem is that my wines are over there and I'm over here...
The only remaining Coonawarra mags I have are 1 Hollick Ravenswood, and 1 Wynns Centenary.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes, I seem to remember about 20+ years ago I rang the winery direct and spoke to Sue Hodder. Under southcorp ownership, things may have been a bit more relaxed. I enquired if they had any old BLs and was pleasantly surprised with an offer on some 72/75/77/78 and 82 vintages. I purchased a mix dozen, 72 was the only magnum. Think the dozen was about $500 all up...not too bad considering. Have knocked nearly all of them off, all pretty good.
Cheers Craig
Ps. Remember getting 6 Hollick Wilgha Shiraz 1990 magnums at the CD...$20 each :shock:
:shock: :shock: drank one the next day and the others not long after.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

phillisc wrote:Yes indeed, forgot that I have 72 and 82 BL in magnum format. Still curse myself that I never purchased Centenary magnums on release (around $80 IIRC). See that there were 2 at auction recently for $390...don't know if that's a good buy??

Missed out on the '19 Redman cab, but will start looking at the Katnook cabernet...too many wines to consider :oops: :oops:

Cheers Craig
I bought a Centenary Magnum straight from Wynn's a few years back and paid about $340. Yes it's silly money, but I really wanted one to drink for my 50th (drinking it on Saturday night) as it's still my favorite Aussie wine. I should elaborate, it may not be the "best" Aussie wine I've had, but it's my favorite.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

6 x 2018 Massena Stonegarden Shiraz
3 each of the Sami Odi releases
3 x 2021 SC Pannel Cluster F**k Grenache. Just had to buy it because of the name and label. After all, 2021 was a .....

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

mjs

Post by mjs »

ticklenow1 wrote:6 x 2018 Massena Stonegarden Shiraz
3 each of the Sami Odi releases
3 x 2021 SC Pannel Cluster F**k Grenache. Just had to buy it because of the name and label. After all, 2021 was a .....

Cheers
Ian
A bit like another McLV wine ... Chester's ... Botryotinia F**keliana

https://www.darenberg.com.au/the-noble-botry ... blanc-2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botryotinia_fuckeliana
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

brodie wrote:

Château D'Issan 2001 x 6
Nice.

Had the 1970 Mouton out of magnum on Saturday. it was magnificent in an old school claret kind of way. Vibrant and long with just a touch of dried herbs to add interest

Brodie
Awesome, thanks for the reply on this Brodie. Hard to compare a magnum with a standard 75cl after 50yrs but what do you suggest I do to serve the wine? Decant, slow ox or pop n pour?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

ticklenow1 wrote:
phillisc wrote:Yes indeed, forgot that I have 72 and 82 BL in magnum format. Still curse myself that I never purchased Centenary magnums on release (around $80 IIRC). See that there were 2 at auction recently for $390...don't know if that's a good buy??

Cheers Craig
I bought a Centenary Magnum straight from Wynn's a few years back and paid about $340. Yes it's silly money, but I really wanted one to drink for my 50th (drinking it on Saturday night) as it's still my favorite Aussie wine. I should elaborate, it may not be the "best" Aussie wine I've had, but it's my favorite.

Cheers
Ian
Probably my favourite too Ian.
Could always do a 60/40 Michael/JR blend from the remaining 1991 bottles that I have :wink:
Will have to hunt one down on the secondary market this year...suspect there are a few punters chasing them.

Cheers Craig

brodie

Post by brodie »

Dragzworthy wrote:
brodie wrote:

Château D'Issan 2001 x 6
Nice.

Brodie
Awesome, thanks for the reply on this Brodie. Hard to compare a magnum with a standard 75cl after 50yrs but what do you suggest I do to serve the wine? Decant, slow ox or pop n pour?
My preference for a wine like this (older 1st growth Bdx ) is to slow ox for about 6 hours then decant 30-60mins before serving (or double decant if taking to a restaurant). Personally I have found older Bdx to be robust strong wines that enormously benefit from decanting.

I had a 1970 Haut Brion last year that had a rather alarming looking mid to high shoulder fill. It was double decanted and drunk over 3 hours and got better and better.

Cheers Brodie

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

brodie wrote:
Dragzworthy wrote:
brodie wrote:
Nice.

Brodie
My preference for a wine like this (older 1st growth Bdx ) is to slow ox for about 6 hours then decant 30-60mins before serving (or double decant if taking to a restaurant). Personally I have found older Bdx to be robust strong wines that enormously benefit from decanting.

I had a 1970 Haut Brion last year that had a rather alarming looking mid to high shoulder fill. It was double decanted and drunk over 3 hours and got better and better.

Cheers Brodie
Nice, I will try that. I had a Mouton 1955 pre Xmas that was pop n pour, great wine but clear to me that the first glass was nowhere near as good as the last.

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

ticklenow1 wrote: I bought a Centenary Magnum straight from Wynn's a few years back and paid about $340. Yes it's silly money, but I really wanted one to drink for my 50th (drinking it on Saturday night) as it's still my favorite Aussie wine. I should elaborate, it may not be the "best" Aussie wine I've had, but it's my favorite.
Happy Birthday, Ian! How was the Centenary, and what other treasures did you open?

Simon

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

kenzo wrote:
ticklenow1 wrote: I bought a Centenary Magnum straight from Wynn's a few years back and paid about $340. Yes it's silly money, but I really wanted one to drink for my 50th (drinking it on Saturday night) as it's still my favorite Aussie wine. I should elaborate, it may not be the "best" Aussie wine I've had, but it's my favorite.
Happy Birthday, Ian! How was the Centenary, and what other treasures did you open?

Simon
Thanks Simon. We had Magnums of:
1991 Wynn’s Centenary
2002 Fox Creek Reserve Shiraz
2005 Rockord Home Block Cabernet
2007 Rockford Basket Press
2008 John Duval Plexus GSM
2013 Domaine Naturaliste Remus Cabernet
2013 Greenock Creek Cabernet
+ plus multiple bottles of 2015 Fraser Gallop Paterre Chardonnay, 2016 Chard Farm Te Mata Pinot, 2016 Hoddles Creek Pinot Gris, 2011 Bottling of Turkey Flat Sparkling Shiraz and 2009 SC Panell Grenache.
For me the Centenary was sublime. Cork was absolutely stuffed, so was surprised when the wine showed so well. Will be hard to beat for WOTY. All the others were great, blessed by the cork gods (the Fox Creek I thought was ever so slightly corked but it seemed to blow off quickly). The two Rockfords were the next best.

Cheers
Ian