September/October 2021 Tasting Notes

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
sjw_11
Site Admin

September/October 2021 Tasting Notes

Post by sjw_11 »

How quickly this year seems to be disappearing ... time for another set of tasting notes.

Quite a few decent wines this time around, and oddly for me the stand out is probably a Pinot- the 2018 Domaine de Bellene Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Hommage à Jean Ferte which just shaded a more structured, less open 2017 Bouchard Père et Fils Vigne de L'Enfant Jesus although I suspect the latter will outshine it in another 5 years or so.

Two other honourable mentions: the 2016 Luigi Pira Barolo Vigna Rionda, a new producer for me but impressive, as was the 2014 Domaine de Chevalier, really in a good place right now. Oh and I should mention the 2019 Gérard Courbis St. Joseph, just a benchmark for the style and sub-€20.

• 2019 Château Le Puy Cuvée Emilien - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Francs Côtes de Bordeaux (10/29/2021)
    Mid red, with purple hues. Quite fresh on the nose, like newly crushed purple berries with deep plum and a distinctly mineral core, within a restrained, cedary oak frame. Sweet and juicy on the palate, with moderately firm, grainy tannin. Overall pretty good. Based on the Vin de France protest label and all the buzzwords I guess these guys are seeking some hype, but the value proposition on this seems just about fair. Better in a year or two I suspect, though I doubt it’s going to make old bones. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 Clos Triguedina Cahors Probus - France, Southwest France, Cahors (10/29/2021)
    Deep red. Striking nose- a heady bouquet of oak and black and dried fruit characters. The headmasters desk. Claims to be only 13pc abv, and certainly on the palate this is less over the top than the nose, but it does feel like either the oak is a touch heavy or the fruit a little dead to maintain real freshness. I kind of like this, but it won’t be everyone’s style. Will more time improve it? Hard to say, but I doubt it’s going to fall over any year soon. (90 pts.)
  • NV Bollinger Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (10/28/2021)
    It’s been awhile since I’ve had this, and what surprises me at first is how much this has held in price while the Laurent-Perrier seems to jump €5 every six months. Pale, onion skin pink. Assertive nose of strawberries, almost metallic except that makes no sense as a compliment. Full but with some strawberry and cream sweetness on the palate. Genuinely enjoyable and for c€60 chilled at Nicolas I would say it’s fair value. (90 pts.)
  • 2018 Eric Verdier Corbières Tuam Adoramus - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Corbières (10/26/2021)
    This is not the easiest wine to find information about. It could be a cult wine (hence the pricing) or just genuinely obscure, but certainly the maker (a long established French wine writer) seems eclectic (http://www.eric-verdier.com/…). 1,800 bottles made.

Deep, dark red. On the nose… what is this? I’ve seen it said this will fool people in a French blind line up but on this showing I strongly doubt that. This is patently from Languedoc Roussillon. The nose is ripe and rich, the fruit very much in the dried spectrum- prune, a touch of Xmas pudding, plum compote, plus a touch of barnyard. Almost reminds me of a King Valley Durif. With a lot of air the palate is definitely fresher than the nose might suggest, but this is still a full bodied, sun drenched style- the big surprise being the abv at just 14pc. Hardly budges even open for four days which suggest it will keep, but will it genuinely improve? Hard to say. (89 pts.)
  • 2020 Wein- und Sekthaus Volker und Bernd Schreieck Maikammer Sauvignon Blanc Baron - Germany, Pfalz (10/26/2021)
    Gifted to me by a friend’s father while attending a wedding in Heidelberg. Glowing yellow in colour, this smells quite rich and ripe, definitely there is some residual sugar there. I get notes of citrus, lime cordial and apricot, even a hint of petrol… typically varietal Sav B this ain’t. That said this is remarkably pleasant, with the sweetness well balanced by a fair whack of acid on the palate. This could be lethal in a blind tasting. (85 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine de Bellene Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Hommage à Jean Ferte - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (10/25/2021)
    This is a blend of two vineyards, with vines from 1974 and 1994 plantings. 4,326 bottles made. (I always love the extra info this producer gives on their labels).

Quite deep purple red. Rich but fragrant on the nose- deeply fruited with sweet cherry, purple floral notes, and a slight minerality. It feels ripe, but with real vibrancy and poise on the palate, which closes with fairly grippy tannins, and pleasant persistency. Unfurls slowly even when open for several days, suggesting plenty of time to burn in the cellar. Really impressive juice. 93+ pts. (93 pts.)
  • 2017 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Grèves Vigne de L'Enfant Jesus - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (10/25/2021)
    Clear, slightly pale red. Very structured nose. Plenty of oak influence, along with dense strawberry and light cherry, although the overall sense is more of coiled power and a wine that needs time to unveil its best. With plenty of air a swirl of fruit can be found on the palate, which finishes with firm, drying tannin. Give it at least another 3+ years and lets see if the fruit really comes through its oak frame, in which case this could score quite a bit higher. 92++ (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Beaune du Château - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (10/25/2021)
    Purpleish, deep red. Very fruit driven and pure on the nose, with juicy cherry aromas, sweet cherry confection and some floral elements. Fairly pretty, slightly ripe style. Fairly decent structure, but perhaps just wraps up a little short and simple to score higher. Still, very enjoyable wine for earlier drinking I would say. Decent value. (91 pts.)
  • 2019 Domaine Richaud Cairanne - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Cairanne (10/25/2021)
    This is a blend of 40% Grenache, 30% Mouvedre, 10% Carignan, 10% Counoise, and 10% Syrah. Dark purple red, this leaps out of the glass with sweet almost syrup like aromas. There is notes of raspberry, ripe strawberry, and cherry liqueur. There is also a slight spicy note which doesn't quite gel with the more confected fruit elements. The 15pc abv is not a surprise. Overall it is pleasant but a bit soupy, losing definition, which for c€20 makes the value a bit questionable. (87 pts.)
  • NV Franck Pascal Champagne Fluence - France, Champagne (10/22/2021)
    2014-15 harvest, 51% Pinot Meunier, 25% Pinot Noir and 24% Chardonnay. No dosage. Disgorged 21 Feb 2020... and thank you very much for the informative label! If only other producers were so accommodating.

Full yellow in colour, with a fairly vibrant mousse. Slightly masculine on the nose, the red grapes showing their influence, with some sherry like aldehydic notes as well. But there is citrus and yes strawberry as well. Nice balance and poise on the palate, finishing crisply. Good aperitif style, and if you can get this around c€30 pretty decent value. (92 pts.)
  • 2019 Jean-Michel Philippe Menetou-Salon Rouge - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Menetou-Salon (10/20/2021)
    Deep purple red. Incredibly fresh, juicy red and purple fruits. Strawberry, raspberry, vanilla. Smooth and frankly “gluggable”… an excellent easy drinking wine. (87 pts.)
  • 2016 Luigi Pira Barolo Vigna Rionda - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (10/18/2021)
    Mid, clear red. Sweet fruited and pure on the nose. Definitely in the vein of tar and roses, with lots of floral components and bright cherry and raspberry fruit. With more air this becomes quite fruit forward on the palate, with pretty red fruits, supported by classical firm tannins to close. Genuinely drinkable today, but I expect this will be better in 5+ years, even though I suspect this might be more of a mid term prospect rather than one for super long term aging. (94 pts.)
  • 2019 Gérard Courbis St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (10/18/2021)
    Deep purple, red. Incredibly pure and fragrant on the nose. Deep plum, purple flowers. Sweet fruited but with good balance. Rich and ripe but not cloying on the palate. Open for three days this only improves, suggesting excellent potential for mid term aging. This is a benchmark example of Saint-Joseph. Exceptional value at c€18. 92-93pts. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine de Chevalier - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (10/11/2021)
    Deep blood red. Immediately impressive on the nose, with structured red and dark fruits. Deep cherry, blackberry liqueur, vanilla, and cedary oak. Intense and complex, which carries through on the palate, which offers quite a juicy red fruit character followed by firm but not unyielding tannins. This is drinking really well now but clearly has the stuffing to age further. Overall, this is an impressive effort that is worth the price to play. (94 pts.)
  • 2017 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune (10/11/2021)
    Mid yellow. On the nose there is a mix of riper apricot/stone fruit and leaner citrus, grapefruit like characters. Good weight and depth on the palate. A little leaner/fresher in style than the Louis Jadot Beaune I had last week. Really enjoyable, ready to drink now although I am sure a couple years more won't hurt it. (90 pts.)
  • 2019 Massolino Barbera d'Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d'Alba (10/10/2021)
    No formal notes. Relatively lean/tart. Pleasant but not particularly memorable. 86-87pts (91 pts.)
  • 2019 Planeta Chardonnay Menfi - Italy, Sicily, Menfi DOC (10/10/2021)
    Deep yellow. Rich, buttery nose, with ripe apricot and cashew notes. Feels a bit worked and old fashioned, but I enjoy that style of Chardonnay from time to time. The oak influence is clear, but there is a decent line of acidity which keeps this reasonably fresh. Overall this is pretty good, but I’m not sure what the “lengthy aging” recommended on the back label would add to this. (88 pts.)
  • 2017 Maquina & Tabla Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y León Serapia - Spain, Castilla y León, Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y León (10/10/2021)
    Pale red, and slightly hazy, with quite a thick deposit of sediment. Cleatly a “natural” style wine. On the nose there is plenty of slightly sour red berries, sour cherry, and a bit of barnyard like complexity. The palate is quite juicy and fairly lean, carrying the nearly 15pc alcohol without becoming too heavy or hot. Not really my preferred style, but for what it is this is a pretty decent effort. (87 pts.)
  • 2017 Costador Trepat Metamorphika - Spain, Catalunya (10/8/2021)
    Where to start. So this comes packaged in a ceramic bottle, a first for me. It is clearly a "natural" themed wine, aged in amphorae. The internet suggests it is 100% Trepat from 60yo vines, which is indigenous to Iberia. Anyway suffice to say my BS meter was primed to maximum ... and I was pleasantly surprised. On first opening there is a whiff of chicken poo, but it fades to something you could call "barnyard" with more air. Underneath surprisingly rich cherry/raspberry notes emerge. In the mouth it's sweet, soft and juicy, with a melange of red and dark fruits and good acidity. I wouldn't age this and, if paying what seems full retail of >€20/$30, the value is questionable, but I genuinely like it. (89 pts.)
  • 2020 Fontanabianca Langhe Arneis - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (10/6/2021)
    No formal notes but this is pretty much everything I look for in Arneis from Langhe. Fresh, clean, light on the palate. Fresh as a daisy, crisp and with zippy acidity. And naturally good value. (87 pts.)
  • 2016 Bodegas Muga Rioja Selección Especial - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (10/4/2021)
    Deep, dark, red, this opens very fresh and dense with red and dark fruits and spicy, vanillin oak. Typical Muga style- still classically Rioja but with a modern sheen and glossy fruit. Nice purity and definition, with quite juicy fruits and well structured tannins. Should open up and improve over at least 5+ years, but it’s surprisingly drinkable now. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Louis Jadot Beaune Domaine Gagey - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune (10/3/2021)
    Mid yellow in the glass, this immediately asserts itself on the nose as what I would probably call an “old fashioned” style of Chardonnay. Ripe apricot and a touch of citrus wrapped up in a buttery, oak influenced package. The palate is fairly rich and full bodied but with enough acidity to stop is becoming too blousy. Hardly budges when open for three days, suggesting good potential for further aging but it drinks nicely today. Those who prefer a leaner style should look elsewhere, but I genuinely enjoy this a lot. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 M. Chapoutier Domaine de Bila-Haut Occultum Lapidem Blanc - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Côtes du Roussillon (10/3/2021)
    Mid yellow. The nose is not particularly expressive with some yellow fruit, maybe a touch of citrus. Almost strikes me as a touch sour. The palate is broad and somewhat coarse. It feels flat- either lacking acid, or lacking freshness? Not sure if this is a representative bottle but this underwhelms. (86 pts.)
  • 2018 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Gigondas Pierre Aiguille - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas (10/1/2021)
    Quite pale dark red. Grenache driven nose with bright cherry, red lollies, and spice- quite pure and clean in its expression. Mouth filling red fruits on the palate, with gentle fuzzy tannins. An excellent easy drinking style, a real crowd pleaser to drink now to five years. (87 pts.)
  • 2020 Domaine Henry Pellé Menetou-Salon - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Menetou-Salon (10/1/2021)
    Pale yellow. Restrained but typical Sav B aromas- a touch of tropical fruit, some gooseberry, a bit of citrus. Refreshing on the palate, with broad tropical fruit flavours, finishing pleasantly crisp. Enjoyable wine, and good value. (87 pts.)
  • 2018 Dönnhoff Roxheimer Höllenpfad Riesling trocken - Germany, Nahe (9/30/2021)
    Pale yellow. On the nose there is plenty of bright citrus and candied lime. Initially there is a touch of petrol, but this actually recedes with air and certainly doesn't detract. Lovely, crystalline balance in the mouth, melding racy acidity with a well judged level of sweetness. Really intense but balanced Riesling. Enjoyable now, but I feel sure this can improve for quite some time and should live (subject to the cork) for quite awhile indeed. 93 pts. (93 pts.)
  • 2019 Château Pesquié Ventoux Édition 1912m - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Ventoux (9/30/2021)
    Relatively light, purple red. On the nose this is clean, pure and inviting. An easy call as Grenache dominant (blended with Syrah), this has gentle purple fruit overlaid on darker fruits, thyme, and a certain smoky element. The palate is juicy and has excellent balance, with an even finish and crunchy acidity. Food friendly and great value. Reminds me actually of one or two Aussie Grenache Shiraz blends, like an old fashioned D’Arry’s original. I also expect this could cellar quite nicely for the mid term. (91 pts.)
  • 2017 Château Ricardelle Coteaux du Languedoc La Clape Cuvée vendredi XIII - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc La Clape (9/26/2021)
    Deep purple red, this has a ripe, intense nose of dark fruit, plum compote, spicy purple berries and a touch of vanilla. Sweet purple fruit and plush tannins dominate the palate, which, while ripe, maintains reasonable balance in a fairly full throttle style. Everything just remains in balance, as long as you don’t dislike this riper style of wine. 91-92pts. (92 pts.)
  • 2019 Bodegas Forjas del Salnes Rías Baixas Leirana - Spain, Galicia, Rías Baixas (9/26/2021)
    Pale yellow/green. Tart citrus, white flowers, and a touch of minerality on the nose. In the mouth this offers bracing acidity and bright citrus character. Pleasant drinking and a pretty textbook example of the style. This should gather weight and complexity over several years. (88 pts.)
  • 2020 Jean-Marie reverdy Sancerre la Villaudiere - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (9/24/2021)
    Pale yellow. Mildly pungent with tropical fruit on the nose. Expressive but not flamboyant. Nice definition and grip in the mouth. Altogether this is pretty good, and very drinkable. (88 pts.)
  • NV P. Louis Martin Champagne Grand Cru Extra-Brut Bouzy - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (9/24/2021)
    Mid yellow. Quite powerful and muscular on the nose, with some yeasty, aldehydic notes. Fairly complex, but quite balanced on the palate with a good line of acid. Very pleasant and for €25 less 30% the value is excellent. (88 pts.)
  • 2018 Dönnhoff Riesling trocken - Germany, Nahe (9/20/2021)
    Under screw cap. This pours quite pale yellow/green. The nose is very fresh and classical, with loads of bright citrus, lime, white flowers and just a teensy petroleum like hint. Extremely fresh and clean on the palate, with citrus driven flavors and bracing acidity. Exceptional entry level Riesling and for sub-€15 the value is superb. Especially with the screw cap, I expect this can improve for at least a decade and should drink well for three. 91-92pts. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 Tenuta Argentiera Bolgheri Villa Donoratico - Italy, Tuscany, Bolgheri (9/19/2021)
    Mid garnet in the glass, on first opening this is immediately impressive, with high toned red berry notes, varnish, and a touch of undergrowth or leafiness. Very fragrant and complex. Would be interesting to do as a blind against a mid level Bordeaux and a cooler climate Australian Bdx blend, maybe something from Victoria. On the palate this is still quite ripe and fruit driven, closing with firm, slightly gritty tannins. This is in a good place right now, but I also suspect it can hold on and maybe improve for at least another 5+ years. I somehow had in mind this was more expensive than it is and even so it didn’t disappoint, so that tells you the value proposition is pretty darn good. (92 pts.)
  • 2019 Emmanuel Darnaud Crozes-Hermitage Mise en bouche - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage (9/19/2021)
    Bright, dark purple red. Vibrant and lifted on the nose, with juicy purple fruit, dark plum, vanilla, pepper, and purple floral notes. Really fresh and enticing. In the mouth this is sweet but well defined, with ripe dark fruit flavor and smooth, mouth coating tannins. This offers a lot of enjoyment for drinking now, and I expect it could improve over another year or two and drink well for a couple more after that. (91 pts.)
  • 2019 Domaine Stéphane Aladame Montagny 1er Cru Les Coères Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Montagny 1er Cru (9/19/2021)
    Quite full yellow. On the nose there is notes of ripe nectarine, but also a sharper citrus element. It smells relatively lean, but not unbearably so. This impression carries through on the palate, which offers round stone fruit flavors allied to quite crisp acidity. Probably at its best allied with a good food match, maybe a creamy pasta dish or a lemony roast chicken. 89-90pts. (89 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine de la Taille aux Loups Montlouis-sur-Loire Clos de Mosny - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Montlouis-sur-Loire (9/19/2021)
    Mid yellow, quite full colour. Quite rich and ripe on the nose. Some stone fruit, a touch of lemon citrus. This carries through on the palate, which has pretty good weight and fresh acidity. Altogether it’s pretty decent but similar to its sibling (Clos du Hochet) which I tried earlier this year I am not sure the QPR really stacks up. (87 pts.)
  • 2019 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (9/17/2021)
    Mid garnet red, on the nose this is initially quite restrained. With air notes of red or sour cherry emerge, along with a hint of purple flowers and some mineral elements. Definitely a serious Beaujolais, almost Pinot like, with a slight sappy note coming through. In the mouth there is some juicy red fruits, but it’s also quite structure with layered, dusty tannins. I am a fan of this producer, and right now I think this needs more time to show its best, at which point it could be very good indeed. (91 pts.)
  • 2020 Château de la Terrière Régnié Lache Moi La Grrrrrappe - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Régnié (9/14/2021)
    “Sans soufre” i.e. with no added sulphur. Deep plum red. Spicy red berries, some purple confection, and a touch of artificial vanilla. Quite sweet and simple on the palate, but pretty drinkable. The aussies perfected “critter labels” for the masses, I’m not sure the roaring bear works here. In summary, fine but not memorable and can probably be beaten by others at the same price. (86 pts.)
  • 2020 Domaine Grégoire Hoppenot Fleurie Origines - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (9/14/2021)
    Lovely label. No formal notes. Pretty red and purple fruits and floral notes, but there is just a slight sourness or green note that detracts a shade for me. Seems good value, so I will probably try again to reassess.
  • 2019 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Roche Calcaire - France, Alsace (9/12/2021)
    Mid yellow, tinged with green, this has a classical Riesling nose, with notes of lime/lime cordial, just a hint of petrol and a slight floral element as well. The first thing you notice on the palate is the bracing acidity, but with air the delicate citrus fruit and a slight sweetness put this fully into balance. It’s only 5.5g/l of residual sugar but there is a certain honeyed richness there. The fiche technique describes this wine as a “marathonien” or marathon runner, and I agree- this will surely improve for at least five years and keep for a decade or more. Really impressive. 92-93pts. (93 pts.)
  • 2019 Domaine Gauby Vin de Pays des Côtes Catalanes Les Calcinaires Blanc - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Vin de Pays des Côtes Catalanes (9/12/2021)
    The exact blend of this is a little unclear but it seems to be 50pc Muscat with Macabeo and Chardonnay. In the glass this is pale green/yellow. Initially the profile on the nose seems slightly savoury, even sour, but it freshens up with air, offering notes of citrus, fruit salad, and grapefruit. On the palate there is some round, tropical style fruit and pretty crisp acidity. Overall it’s pretty good, but for €19 I think the value is a bit questionable. (87 pts.)
  • 2019 Valérie Courréges Cahors Zinzolin - France, Southwest France, Cahors (9/9/2021)
    Not sure why this is listed as Cab Franc? I believe it is a blend of Malbec, syrah, cabernet sauvignon, and merlot. This is very reminiscent of its sibling the “Ocrement Dit” that I had the other day (which is slightly more expensive and is labeled Cahors). Rich and ripe dark/purple fruit. A touch of funk. Full bodied and warm on the palate. As with its sibling, if you like the style it’s pretty enjoyable. (87 pts.)
  • 2020 Delas Frères Crozes-Hermitage Blanc Les Launes - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage (9/9/2021)
    This is a blend of 80% Marsanne and 20% Roussane. Quite a full yellow in the glass, but flecked with green. On the nose this offers oily citrus, honeysuckle, and a slightly grassy note. The palate is quite fresh, but a touch broad and round, maybe just lacking a touch of acidity to freshen it up. Still, a perfectly enjoyable and decent value white Rhone blend for drinking now or over the next three years. (87 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Verret Bourgogne Côtes d'Auxerre Rouge - France, Burgundy, Côtes d'Auxerre, Bourgogne Côtes d'Auxerre (9/8/2021)
    Deep purple red. The nose initially shows quite purple, almost confectionary fruit. I wrongly called Gamay as a blind. With air (and knowing what it was) the Pinot character is more obvious, this is still seems a sweeter, prettier style. Very drinkable and for c€12 it’s excellent value.
  • 2015 Fontanafredda Barolo Serralunga d'Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (9/6/2021)
    Clear garnet red, with just a hint of fading. Quite pretty on the nose, with perfumed red berry characters. Reasonable definition and complexity. On the palate this is quite ready to go, especially with plenty of air, offering loose knit red fruit and firm but not overt tannin. It is not the most complex or beguiling Barolo, but offers solid drinking today and I am sure will keep and maybe develop over a few more years.

I certainly question the 96 points from Decanter which is proudly displayed on the neck of the bottle (both in terms of the score and the garishness of a Barolo producer using score stickers to shift their wine...). (91 pts.)
  • 2018 La Tour Chambert Cahors Cuvée des Hauts Coteaux - France, Southwest France, Cahors (9/6/2021)
    No formal notes, but remarkably similar to the Red2019 Valérie Courréges Cahors Ocrement-Dit (https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=3958129) I had the day before. Dark/purple fruits, just a hint of funk. Again, pretty enjoyable if you like the style. (87 pts.)
  • 2019 M. Chapoutier Côtes du Roussillon Les Vignes de Bila-Haut Blanc - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Côtes du Roussillon (9/6/2021)
    This is a blend of Grenache Blanc, Grenache Gris and Macabeu. In the glass this is green flecked yellow, and the nose is an appealingly fresh mix of grapefruit, white flowers and citrus pith. In the mouth this is wonderfully fresh and clean, with crisp acidity. A delicious summer wine to have as an aperitif or with seafood, and for c€8 it is cracking value. (87 pts.)
  • 2019 Valérie Courréges Cahors Ocrement-Dit - France, Southwest France, Cahors (9/6/2021)
    No formal notes, but this was a dark and slightly brooding wine that nevertheless maintains sufficient freshness. Deep purple to black fruit character. Just a hint of what seems to me to be a brett-like funk as well. Pretty good if you like a richer, warmer style of wine. 87-88pts. (87 pts.)
  • 2019 Miren & Nicolas de Lorgeril Côtes du Roussillon Mas de Montagnes Terroirs d'Altitude - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Côtes du Roussillon (9/4/2021)
    This is a very pleasant little wine for sub €10. There is crisp citrus, grapefruit, and some rounder stone fruit. There is a touch of grippy phenolics but nothing too detracting. Overall, very drinkable. (87 pts.)
  • 2020 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (9/3/2021)
    Another excellent vintage of this label. Bright purple red. Expressive and pure nose of purple flowers, purple lollies, and raspberry. In the mouth there is lashings of sweet fruit. Closes with good acid balance and mild tannins, keeping things in balance. Overall it’s a lovely pure expression of Gamay fruit that kills a bunch of other Beaujolais at higher prices. Maybe a touch more ripe and “pretty” than the 2019? (91 pts.)
  • 2019 Cave de Saint-Désirat St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (9/2/2021)
    Deep purple red. Ripe, rich and lifted on the nose- plenty of purple fruits, a bit of alcohol... unmistakably Syrah, of which this is in fact exclusively composed. With air more nuance emerges, with an almost floral perfumed note and some spicy character. This carries through on the palate, where the 14.5% abv just about stays the right side of being warm, although its definitely a ripe, intense wine. The finish is a shade short, with quite grippy tannins. Is it a bit simple or does it just need more time to unwind? Hard to say, but for c€16, the value seems fair. Drink now with a smoky BBQ or give it 2-3 years and try again. 88+ pts. (88 pts.)
  • 2019 Cave de Ribeauvillé Riesling Constance Muller - France, Alsace (9/1/2021)
    Bright yellow green. Crisp citrus and green apple character on the nose. Dry and refreshing on the palate, with some nice apple and white flower notes and decent acidity. Punches above its weight value wise. 86-87pts. (86 pts.)
Posted from [url=https://www.cellartracker.com/]CellarTracker[/url]
------------------------------------
Sam