Wendouree 2021 Mailer

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Matt@5453

Wendouree 2021 Mailer

Post by Matt@5453 »

xwwines wrote:Anyone else out there waiting by the letter box ?!?!?!?!?!
Should be an interesting week.

A_Steady

Re: Wendouree 2021 Mailer

Post by A_Steady »

A_Steady wrote:I’ve made a few trips out to check, picked up an express post envelope on my way home and decided what my order will be (subject to any unforeseen limits) in anticipation of a speedy return

xwwines

Post by xwwines »

A_Steady wrote:
A_Steady wrote:I’ve made a few trips out to check, picked up an express post envelope on my way home and decided what my order will be (subject to any unforeseen limits) in anticipation of a speedy return
Yes - I bought an express post envelope a few weeks ago too!

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

You know that if everyone uses express post envelopes we are all back on an even playing field ….

xwwines

Post by xwwines »

wiggum wrote:You know that if everyone uses express post envelopes we are all back on an even playing field ….
Sssshhh - Don’t tell everyone :cry:

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

wiggum wrote:You know that if everyone uses express post envelopes we are all back on an even playing field ….
And Australia Post has a nice source of extra revenue...

This thread gets funnier every year.
------------------------------------
Sam

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

Seriously, I'm not sure if the contributors to this thread are being serious or are actually taking the pi$$.
In all honesty, are these Wendouree Mailer lists comedy? (I assume so, but I'm just not sure)

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

The annual mailer is a very serious event.. I always thought - but now I'm just not sure either

xwwines

Post by xwwines »

felixp21 wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure if the contributors to this thread are being serious or are actually taking the pi$$.
In all honesty, are these Wendouree Mailer lists comedy? (I assume so, but I'm just not sure)
I am extremely serious in anticipating receiving the letter as well as waiting with patience to see what my allocation might be. Last year I checked my bank account several times a day over a period of 2.5 months until a figure was finally withdrawn. I am not quite sure how to describe how I feel about the same prospects this year - Excited and nervous I guess!

Pat

Post by Pat »

There nothing wrong with being excited about a mailing list, which you’ve tried to get on, being sent out. Sometimes people are knobs, and everything is relative.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

What is the vintage like in 2019 in Clare? Not that it is going to influence me much.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Hacker wrote:What is the vintage like in 2019 in Clare? Not that it is going to influence me much.
Generally speaking, was a dry year. Small crop, great ripening period. Seeing reds with excellent colour and intensity.
Cabernet in particular was low yielding.
Given age of these vines, expect extra low yields and small volumes. Should be some very good wines on offer.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

felixp21 wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure if the contributors to this thread are being serious or are actually taking the pi$$.
To quote Gary Walsh - the Wine Front

“The years roll on, circumstances change, yet Wendouree remains something of a constant. Tasting the new releases from Wendouree is a highlight on my little wine calendar. Like sands through the hourglass…”

No sign of the letter yet here in Tassie….

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

A_Steady wrote:

“The years roll on, circumstances change, yet Wendouree remains something of a constant. Tasting the new releases from Wendouree is a highlight on my little wine calendar. Like sands through the hourglass…”

Xavier is over excited. No mailer out yet
How many phone calls has he made?

xwwines

Post by xwwines »

Matt@5453 wrote:
A_Steady wrote:

Xavier is over excited. No mailer out yet
How many phone calls has he made?
I’m patient and certainly don’t make phone calls. I know this game.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Haven't seen yet. Last year it arrived on July 2nd so I'd say it's imminent. Either way I think 2019 and 2020 were pretty low yields so how they carve up the cake thru these periods will be interesting. Last year was the first time i didn't get everything and I'm expecting the same result over the next two vintages. I can sheepishly raise my hand and say i, like most, bought into the Wendouree mystique. Its hard not to lets be fair. But since then I've really been able to put that aside and enjoy these wines for what they are. The Cab Malbec for example, across most vintages, is just stunning. It's up there with some of my most memorable wine moments.

Those laughing and poking fun at the rookies and newbies for getting excited. ? C'mon? Can't we/they have a little fun and excitement in their lives considering the current climate?
Let's face It's good to have a distraction from some of the crap we've had to deal with.

If I see the mailer I'll try and post a pic.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

bdellabosca

Post by bdellabosca »

Couldn't agree more with the above comments and I'm checking the mailbox every day. Lovely wines at fair prices imho, although I'm relatively new to the list so no exposure to older vintages.

I don't understand their allocation system, as it does not appear to be simply first in, best dressed or longest on the list. But I think that's a good thing as everyone seems to get at least some wines (even if not their full order) each year which is a nice outcome. Share the love. :)

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Mailer arrived this morning
Shi/Mat, Shi/Mal, Malbec all $55
Shiraz $70
Cab/Mal $65
No Cabernet
Muscat is a blend of 16,17,18 $25

*6 bottle limit on all wines
Last edited by Matt@5453 on Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

mailer arrived. RED stripe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

The eagle has landed in Sydney, and a good omen for me...I just caught the postman emptying the postbox down the road so hopefully it will get back to the Bradys in lickety split time. Although I don't think it is a 'time is of the essence' thing. I do have the black initials but I don't necessarily think that gives me an advantage. In some years, like last year, I was cut back. Happy to share the love though.
Sounds like a strong vintage but with crop losses. I certainly agree that the cabernet blends, as with the shiraz blends are the better product.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

tarija

Post by tarija »

Starting to panic, no mailer received as yet. Sydney.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

tarija wrote:Starting to panic, no mailer received as yet. Sydney.
Don't panic Mr Mannering. Don't panic!!! :D

They get sent out quite randomly it seems.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

The eagle made it to Tassie today

xwwines

Post by xwwines »

A_Steady wrote:The eagle made it to Tassie today
Congratulations - I feel good about tomorrow (Friday) to end the week on a positive note.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

xwwines wrote:
Congratulations - I feel good about tomorrow (Friday) to end the week on a positive note.
Thanks, mail deliveries in rural Tassie are hit n miss - seems this time was a hit with it being delivered only a few days after SA and Vic/NSW

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

I did a running receive and mailed it straight back with dreams of a full allo.

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Just curious, what quantities are people ordering? Case lots or a few bottles of each?

xwwines

Post by xwwines »

A_Steady wrote:
xwwines wrote:
Thanks, mail deliveries in rural Tassie are hit n miss - seems this time was a hit with it being delivered only a few days after SA and Vic/NSW
It did actually arrive today! Rather than going to the PO BOX, the postie just dropped it in directly to the office.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

kenzo wrote:Just curious, what quantities are people ordering? Case lots or a few bottles of each?
I stuck with the same amount as I have since getting on the list - 18 bottles

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

Got mine today. Ordered 12 in all. 2 each of the Shiraz based wines and 3 each of the Malbecs. No Muscat.