First time in Adelaide and Barossa Valley

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
tuxy85

First time in Adelaide and Barossa Valley

Post by tuxy85 »

If the border between QLD and SA is still open in September, I am planning a to visit Adelaide and the Barossa for the first time for a long weekend. I'll be visiting a mate, who happens to be a school teacher, so I'll need to entertain myself on the Friday. As a solo traveller I am thinking of joining a winery tour. However at present the smaller operators that I have contacted have advised me that they don't have any tours that I could join.

Do any of you have any recommendations on small winery tours in the Barossa? I'd like something that is flexible enough to cater to the wishes of the group - also pick up from Adelaide.

If I can't get on a tour I'll probably hire a car and visit less wineries. For example - winery in the morning - lunch and then a winery in the afternoon. Do any of you have any tips on places for lunch?

Anything else that you would recommend for my first time in the Barossa and in Adelaide and SA for that matter.

Thanks in advance. Cheers, David

Nick

Re: First time in Adelaide and Barossa Valley

Post by Nick »

G'day David
I hope you have a great trip, and that your travels aren't cut short by the dreaded virus. There's a few threads floating around on Adelaide/Barossa travels; I think this (http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16128) is probably the most recent.
One note of caution is that I've heard from friends that cellar door experiences have changed substantially post-COVID, in that plenty of places are now charging $20-40/person for structured tastings.
Feel free to message any specific questions.
Cheers
Nick

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Hopefully you can make this happen!

I think your best bet is to call the Barossa Tourism Centre and ask which tours will be running (as I assume they would know).

If you need ideas on where to visit, the old threads are great, but there are some newer wineries also worth a look so feel free to ask for recommendations.

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

I was there about 18 months ago and a couple of newer ones were Eperosa and Atze's.
Really enjoyed them both.

You'll need to ring or email Brett Grocke from Eperosa.
They are right next door to Rockford.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.