We won the league!!

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Mike Hawkins

We won the league!!

Post by Mike Hawkins »

30 years is a long time to wait, but time to open some nice bottles to celebrate Liverpool FC.

1996 Dom Perignon... this is on song. Limey, nutty and floral with a hint of toast and butter. Great acid, great length, with many years to go.

Next up, 1990 Rockford BP and 1990 Penfolds Bin 90a.

To all the Reds supporters on the board, open something great and enjoy! YNWA

Lincoln

Re: We won the league!!

Post by Lincoln »

Congrats to LFC - they've been a great side to watch the past few seasons....

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

At first, seeing the mention of a 1996 DP as a 30 year celebratory drink, I thought Liverpool fans were truly bad at mathematics, but the subsequent mention of the 1990 Rockford and Penfold's has reassured me.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

It's been a long time between drinks with regards to the league. I did shed a few tears of joy this morning. Klopp has put together an incredible team and he is the single most important signing FSG have made. With the fans unable to be a part of the celebrations, it just doesn't feel the same. But our name is on the trophy and that's all that counts. My family in Liverpool didn't get a lot of sleep last night either!

I'm having a 2012 Claymore "You'll Never Walk Alone" GSM with my lamb tonight.

YNWA
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

rens

Post by rens »

I definitely expect a note on the 1990 90A.
Congratulations to all Liverpudlians and their supporters!
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

ticklenow1 wrote:It's been a long time between drinks with regards to the league. I did shed a few tears of joy this morning. Klopp has put together an incredible team and he is the single most important signing FSG have made. With the fans unable to be a part of the celebrations, it just doesn't feel the same. But our name is on the trophy and that's all that counts. My family in Liverpool didn't get a lot of sleep last night either!

I'm having a 2012 Claymore "You'll Never Walk Alone" GSM with my lamb tonight.

YNWA
Ian
Ian, I thought you were either dead or drunk, perhaps you just spent today soaking it in.
It will probably 30+ for long suffering Carlton Fans...and if or when it happens, I will certainly be inebriated beyond vertical.

Well done and enjoy the win :D
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

... and as discussed on another wine forum, he's not just a great manager, but also a wonderful ambassador / comes across as a very decent and compassionate human being.

TommyB

Post by TommyB »

Klopp pinot from Mornington probably the most appropriate.

https://www.vivino.com/klopp-pinot-noir/w/6851197

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

I am also a Liverpool FC fan, so I was in celebration mode on Friday.

I opened up a bottle of Wynns Coonwarra Estate Black Label Shiraz 2010. Medium bodied with lovely spicy nose and plums hovering in the background. The palate was all about red and dark fruits, smoked meats, and some blueberry. Long finish. The secondary flavours have started to take over. Will easily go another 10 years.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

1990 Penfolds Bin 90a... This is the 11th time with this wine and other than one weak bottle, every other one has been superb. For my palate, this is close to the best Aussie wine from the past 30 years.

Say what you like about Penfolds, but when they get it right with special bin blends, they Hit it out the park (choose your analogy). This had a slightly more floral nose (violets and rose), interspersed with cedar and tobacco. The mouthfeel is one of richness, but not in a bad way, with an endless, velvety finish. George Costanza would love to be draped in it.... If I did not know the blend I’d say it was 80% Cabernet. An outstanding showing and a suitable wine to drink to celebrate an outstanding team.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

No ones doubting the ability of Pennies making great wines, and yes the only 90A/920 that I had were each drunk 15 years ago and were fabulous :cry: :cry:
That and their re-corking clinic, I cannot fault
Special Bins back then were indeed special, only released every 10 years or so, now there seems to be something new every vintage.

Where they have it badly wrong is marketing, pricing and bending over backwards offshore at the expense of domestic consumers.
Can't think of any other Australian brand that does that so well....they have gold medal form in that department :shock: :shock:

Cheers Craig

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Wonderful news. Been waking up at odd hours for years supporting LFC. A pity the fans cant be in attendance.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Cactus wrote:Wonderful news. Been waking up at odd hours for years supporting LFC. A pity the fans cant be in attendance.
Trouble is many of them did meet to celebrate, and considering the levels of Covid-19 still prevalent, they came in for legitimate criticism for doing so.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Ian S wrote:
Cactus wrote:Wonderful news. Been waking up at odd hours for years supporting LFC. A pity the fans cant be in attendance.
Trouble is many of them did meet to celebrate, and considering the levels of Covid-19 still prevalent, they came in for legitimate criticism for doing so.
First cases in over a month...with the greatest respect and i understand people want/need to get home, but why oh why a flight from Mumbai!!??
Cheers craig

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Cactus wrote:Yeah maybe. But authorities allowed and or encouraged BLM protests. Ever since then I think people have decided the lock ups weren't as important and or being enforced etc. Plus it's 30 long years for LFC supporters, that's a hell of a lot of pent up emotion.
Not to mention, you should have seen the pictures of Bournemouth beach on the weekend. It looked like thousands and thousands of people were crammed on there like sardines. But it's very easy for the Tory media to have a crack at Liverpool fans (and other teams fans for that matter). It wouldn't have mattered who won the league, the fans were going to go out and celebrate. Yes, it was a wee bit stupid, but it's been a long time coming and it's hard to have too much of a crack at the fans.

Cheers
Ian

YNWA
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

bdellabosca

Post by bdellabosca »

Last edited by bdellabosca on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Barney

Post by Barney »

I feel it might be time to shut this one down, can see where this could go and think we all need to take a breath or take it offline. How we got to this from a celebration of maybe the most outstanding EPL performance in history is beyond me

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Yeah - lets get back to wine

bdellabosca

Post by bdellabosca »

Barney wrote:...the most outstanding EPL performance in history...
Obviously the G.O.A.T EPL performance is from Arsenal who completed a season undefeated! :P

p.s. go the Gunners, why can't you bring the glory days back so I can stop crying?...
Last edited by bdellabosca on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Wine please gentlemen, I guess EPL is OK, but escalation into the personal simply is NOT.

regards

Gavin Trott

bdellabosca

Post by bdellabosca »

Right. Got it. Escalation into the personal simply is NOT ok. Sorry everyone. I've edited to delete the personal comments. Hope that's an improvement.
I can't edit other people's posts so there may be some additional tidy up to be done.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Just so you know Mr bdellabosca, some critics are saying it's the most outstanding performance because of the points scored, won the league with 7 games to go etc, etc, etc. Records galore are tumbling. This Liverpool team is simply outstanding if you look at the last 2 seasons. 97 points last season, 2 Champions League finals winning one and a great age profile and who knows how many points this season.

Jamie, I remember watching the 2016 GF with your Dad and I'm sure he shed a tear or two. We drank a 2005 Burge Family Homestead Cabernet (amongst others) that day and it was amazing. Real shame the levels have dropped off with Burge Family.

Cheers
Ian

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Congrats to Liverpool, the team has been playing some amazing and enjoyable football and the win is very well deserved.
(happy that Arsenal can at least cling to the fact we remain the only invincibles, I suspect it might be more than 30 yrs before we get near another title)

Liverpool fans might enjoy David Squire's latest:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-inte ... ague-title
------------------------------------
Sam

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

sjw_11 wrote:Congrats to Liverpool, the team has been playing some amazing and enjoyable football and the win is very well deserved.
(happy that Arsenal can at least cling to the fact we remain the only invincibles, I suspect it might be more than 30 yrs before we get near another title)

Actually gave me a giggle that. Can't hide from the facts. There have been a lot of false dawns, close calls etc. But Klopp is certainly building something special on a relatively meagre net spend while the owner expand Anfield and build a new training facility.

As for Arsenal, apart from my beloved Liverpool, they were my favourite team to watch as a neutral for many years during Wenger's reign. Bergkamp was even my favourite player outside of LFC. What a first touch and vision he had. Sometimes you don't get what you wish for, surely getting rid of Wenger was not a good move. You've just gone backwards since he left. And when you consider he got you Champions League football year after year on a small budget (due to the cost of building of the Emirates Stadium), maybe change isn't always for the best.

Cheers
Ian

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Hi All

Just had a few problems with aspects of this thread, heading personal and a bit political, which is not what this forum is for.

Hence, I will be 'pruning' or deleting a few of the posts to return to wine, and wine alone.

Not attempting to take any sides, hence will be deleting what I think may be necessary, trust all will understand.

Now, back to wine!

regards

Gavin Trott

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

ticklenow1 wrote:
Jamie, I remember watching the 2016 GF with your Dad and I'm sure he shed a tear or two. We drank a 2005 Burge Family Homestead Cabernet (amongst others) that day and it was amazing. Real shame the levels have dropped off with Burge Family.

Cheers
Ian
Haha

Sure it was just one bottle? I'm sure I called after the game and he was far gone.It was surreal in the MCG stands afterward. Old supporters were still sitting in their seats staring blankly hours after the game. A beautiful peace.

I actually had a try of the 98 Burge Family Draycott Reserve last year in HKG. Very nice. I think it was a RP 99 pointer at a stage when this rare. I rember selling my magnums to US buyers for $2000AUD. Felt bad to have profited so handsomely and I've never sold wine since. I have been a supporter of Burge Family over the years which quells the guilt. Hope Rick travelling OK.

"I stopped making Draycott Reserve because I couldn’t communicate with many of the people who wanted to buy it."
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

JamieBahrain wrote:
ticklenow1 wrote:

Cheers
Ian
Haha

Sure it was just one bottle? I'm sure I called after the game and he was far gone.It was surreal in the MCG stands afterward. Old supporters were still sitting in their seats staring blankly hours after the game. A beautiful peace.

I actually had a try of the 98 Burge Family Draycott Reserve last year in HKG. Very nice. I think it was a RP 99 pointer at a stage when this rare. I rember selling my magnums to US buyers for $2000AUD. Felt bad to have profited so handsomely and I've never sold wine since. I have been a supporter of Burge Family over the years which quells the guilt. Hope Rick travelling OK.

"I stopped making Draycott Reserve because I couldn’t communicate with many of the people who wanted to buy it."
I supported Rick for quite a while as well and had an unbelievable tasting with him once where he opened some CDP to compare to his wines. But when he sold the winery, he sold some older Draycott Shiraz. Sadly it was mostly cooked or faulty. I rang and was basically told it wasn't (not by Rick). I had bought a few dozen and 80% of it was shot. I no longer buy from Burge Family. I still have quite a bit in my cellar of the 10's and 12's. Both exceptional wines.

Cheers
Ian

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

ticklenow1 wrote:
sjw_11 wrote:Congrats to Liverpool, the team has been playing some amazing and enjoyable football and the win is very well deserved.

Actually gave me a giggle that. Can't hide from the facts. There have been a lot of false dawns, close calls etc. But Klopp is certainly building something special on a relatively meagre net spend while the owner expand Anfield and build a new training facility.

As for Arsenal, apart from my beloved Liverpool, they were my favourite team to watch as a neutral for many years during Wenger's reign. Bergkamp was even my favourite player outside of LFC. What a first touch and vision he had. Sometimes you don't get what you wish for, surely getting rid of Wenger was not a good move. You've just gone backwards since he left. And when you consider he got you Champions League football year after year on a small budget (due to the cost of building of the Emirates Stadium), maybe change isn't always for the best.

Cheers
Ian
I lived in Singapore during the 2013/14 season... EPL is the main sport people follow there and Liverpool is the pick of approx 70% of supporters (go figure). I watched "that game" against Chelsea on a big open air screen at a bar underneath my apartment building, with a crowd of probably 200 people. Even as a neutral it was just heart breaking... Klopp has done an immense job, for me he is the best in the world.

I managed to get tickets to Arsene's farewell at the Emirates, it was sad to see him go. I think probably the club did need a change or some fresh ideas and Wenger was too much of a control freak to allow it. But it may well mean quite some time in the wilderness, especially given our owner is not very keen on putting in major resources and recent contract decisions are frankly baffling!

OK we can go back to the wine talk now :lol:
------------------------------------
Sam