2018 Cantina Petrelli Primitivo

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Benchmark

2018 Cantina Petrelli Primitivo

Post by Benchmark »

It is dark cherries and fresh green herbs on the nose. There is a nice minerality in the background that gives it some interest with a little floral note coming through after some time. On the palate, more cherries and some terrific acidity to tie it together. Perhaps a little too much as it is leaning on being unbalanced. Certainly not a fault. The finish is long. The acid is tempered by the ragù, making this a food wine.

A good wine without being great, made excellent due to the company, the food and the music.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/HnXTZr3DFD ... authuser=0[/img]
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

Ian S

Re: 2018 Cantina Petrelli Primitivo

Post by Ian S »

Looking at the price in Italy ~ €10, then that sounds like pretty decent value. I tend to check the alc% with Apulian Primitivo wines, as there are some that pursue the US 'Zin' model a little too enthusiastically. At 14% it's definitely more in my buying sphere than those at 16 and 17%

marsalla

Post by marsalla »

HI Ian,
It can be a variety that is hard to keep under 14%. :)

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

marsalla wrote:HI Ian,
It can be a variety that is hard to keep under 14%. :)
I'm sure it can be, though I've certainly enjoyed bottles with alc% below that. Perhaps a variety where the viticulture needs to focus on keeping the ripening / build up of sugars in check? However I get the distinct impression that many are actively pursuing the potential riches of being (possibly) the origins of Zinfandel. Not sure I can blame them - I'm sure 13.5% Primitivo can be a hard sell into double figures at retail, even if it would interest me. The prospect of a €30+ bottling would have clear appeal to a producer, and to get that sort of money it feels like bigger is better.

marsalla

Post by marsalla »

HI Ian,

I think primitivo is a very underrated gem. On the best soils (terra rossa) old vine alberello (bush vine) has produced one of the best parcels of fruit I have seen, and went into a stonking wine.

If a wealthy investor wanted to dump some money in my lap to do something special Puglian primitivo mould be high on my 'check out' list. Other than an ideal climate, (not as hot as some think, moderating influence of a peninsula, cracking soils and a variety that has the potential to deliver from A to E grade (rarer than you might think) it is also within cooee of the beach, great cuisine and Lecce in close proximity. Plus all those masseria waiting to be repaired.

The wealthy investor is the hard part...

Pick early is hard, as it is the first cab off the rank, and can catch you out, and invariably the first fruit in is generally the best, and hand picking means larger parcels can dribble in over a week.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

If I ever discover great wealth, I'll give you a call :)

I was sad to miss out on a day trip to Lecce (my partner was really struggling with flu picked up in Ferrara, and hadn't shaken it off). It sounds such an interesting place, even if possibly a little 'out of place' vs. the local area. I'm not sure we'll ever make it back, as she's got a strong preference for the North (both North-west and North-east) and both also appeal to me.

marsalla

Post by marsalla »

Shame you missed Lecce Ian, it really is a beautiful city, as is Oria, Sava, Mesagne...

Country a bit flat/dull though.

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

This talk is giving me huge wunderlust.

Based in KL we used to travel 4 times a year, this lockdown is painful.

Is there an end in sight?
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Benchmark wrote:This talk is giving me huge wunderlust.

Based in KL we used to travel 4 times a year, this lockdown is painful.

Is there an end in sight?
Potentially, though I am personally still against unnecessary travel and especially the levels of international travel we had before the virus (and this from someone who adores time spent in Italy). I'm also not enthused about an Italy hidden behind plastic screens and masks. It just wouldn't be the same.

Greece are already making preparations for international holiday visitors and are keen to have a summer tourism season.

It seems bi-lateral arrangements are being drawn up for many countries, with travel allowed (potentially subject to on the spot testing), but for a quarantine period of 2 weeks (potentially in both directions) where such agreements are not in place.

So if you are still itching to go, and are prepared to accept compromise and risk, then I think the opportunity will be there. I'll happily read about your holiday, even if I'm not willing to go myself.

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

I would happily take the risk.

Not in a high risk age group, no comorbidities. Very likely to have had, or get the virus and not even realise.

Quarantine is the killer. Holidays are mostly two week, three week and one eight week... not going to work.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking