covid-19 lockdown and my wine buying madness

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
brodie

covid-19 lockdown and my wine buying madness

Post by brodie »

I am alone here?

Prior to the level 4 Covid-19 lockdown on 25th March (here in NZ), my YTD purchases was a measly 12 bottles. Then things kind of went off the rails and I mean way off the rails. Too much time on my hands in front of the computer I guess.

So here is how it played out......

6th April: Decided I needed to support a local winery: 3 x 2017 Home Block PN and 3 x 2017 Damsteep PN from Black Estate in Nth Canterbury

7th April: Annual Raveneau allocation: 3 x 2017 Montee de Tonnerre, 1 x 2017 Mdt magnum & 1 x2017 Petit Chablis magnum

17th April: Annual Bell Hill mailing list purchase: 3 x 2016 Bell Hill PN, 2 x 2016 Bell Chardonnay & 1 x 2016 Old Weka Pass PN

17th April: after a magic bottle of 2008 Felsina CCR, decided I need more Chianti: 4 x 2016 Felsina CCR, 4 x 2016 Felsina Rancia & 4 x 2016 Fontodi CC

21st April: Decided needed to backfill more Felsina: 4 x 2013 Felsina CCR, 2 x 2015 Felsina CC, 2 x 2015 Felsina CCR & 4 x 2015 Felsina Rancia

24 April: Bloody Hell, Glengarrry put their entire wine list on 20% off: 1 x 2007 Ch Rayas CNDP, 3 x 2006 Ch Fonsalette & 3 x 2009 Ch. Fonsalette

29 April: Annual Jamet allocation: 3 x 2017 Cote Rotie and 1 x 2017 Cote Brune

Headcount for April: 52 bottles. Yikes.

No regrets but so much for my not buying discipline I have practiced so far this year.

Brodie

Wizz

Re: covid-19 lockdown and my wine buying madness

Post by Wizz »

Ha ha... if you just change the names it kind looks like how March and April played out for me too :)

And I'm not done yet...

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Brodie, I too share your concerns, took 54 bottles down to the cellar on the weekend.
It all rests on how much spent, (est. $23-2500) and whether these are chasing bargains or must buys of your favourite producers.

I have Marius (helped with the 2018 harvest, so will certainly want to enjoy the spoils), Wendouree, Standish to come shortly and are thinking about Yarra Yering.
I have current regret on purchases, but long term that fades, and if going hard over the next two years to then have a decline is the plan, then there is a job that must be done.
I do know and keep telling myself that there are a few on here and other forums who buy what we have purchased over a month...in just a few days!!
I take comfort and solace in these times that a few wines keep me happy, but could argue a pandemic doesn't make any difference :shock: :shock:
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

My buying has certainly been on the increase for this time of year.

We have a moral responsibility to ensure the economy moves forward.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

these stories are being repeated by wine-lovers the World over.
I know that Skurnik wines based in NYC are doing a ridiculous amount of business in a city that has been torn apart.

I'm in the same boat, can't stop buying wines from offers that are ridiculous!!!

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

And nobody is going on expensive holidays? More fat in the budget.

If you have a safe and secure job, buy up!
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

JamieBahrain wrote:And nobody is going on expensive holidays? More fat in the budget.

If you have a safe and secure job, buy up!
Absolutely.

We usually travel every term break. Have already missed March. Likely to miss July. Possible to miss September... bank account thankful.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

asajoseph

Post by asajoseph »

I keep getting emails / messages from friends with the 'helpful' news that wine prices are set to plummet with much of the European 2019 harvest set to be distilled for industrial alcohol.

I'm not sure the case of 2010 Montrose I've been on the look out for a while stands much risk of distillation, but I'll start buying if that happens.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Seems like a box a day here atm, I can hear the van pull up from my study (while ostensibly working from home), box gets dropped, he rings the wifi doorbell and buggers off and I race through the front door to try to get the box before my wife wakes up to the fact that the doorbell app on her phone is ringing and there's more wine that has arrived. :lol: :lol:
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

asajoseph

Post by asajoseph »

As for more specifically - not bought that much since February this year, but I did panic at the prospect of running out of booze while on lockdown at the start of the pandemic, and bought maybe 30 bottles of every day wine online. Normally I buy everyday wine in dribs & drabs, but the prospect of being left high & dry terrified me into some uncharacteristic purchases. Even threw in some prosecco for the wife. As things stand, I think I have 6 bottles left.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Not buying for the most part, just drinking what I have cellared. Since I am not going around to many of the shops I have not been tempted to buy anything. However since we're not meeting up with friends at the pub I am buying more beer, as well as plenty of Boodles Gin that we found for a mouth watering C$30.

AdamR

Post by AdamR »

I’ve bought more than normal. My discipline was pretty good this year. However I don’t regret my purchases. I did the help a small winery thing, I did the taste a Barolo and buy a bunch, I also did the I’ll throw a couple of low ball bids on Langton and won many. Typical.
There was one bottle I regret otherwise I’m happy with my purchases. I bid on the wrong bottle of Barolo. Hopefully it’s not bad but it isn’t the one I wanted. Oh well.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

I'm perhaps buying a little bit more than usual (definitely drinking more) however where I'm spending my money, has vastly changed. Pretty much stopped buying from auction and have found some amazing retailers/importers. Now whether that's because everyone is bidding on the various auction sites and value simply isn't there at the moment (plus commission and delivery fees), or whether discounting by retailers has made their product more appealing or whether subconsciously I'm trying to support small business in these hard times, I'm not sure. Maybe all 3? However even so, I'm spending more $$ per bottle than pre-virus. (quality of what I'm buying has gone up as well)

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Even with some of the bargins going around, I’ve dropped right off buying wine for a bit. Normally I jump at great deals but I’ve been strong and resisited this month. I bought a couple of 6 packs of Grenache in early March, but nothing since. It’s mainly due to employment uncertainty heading into the later parts of the year and next year as well.
I will purchase wines off mailing lists that I am on such as Standish, Wendouree (for the better half) and a few others. But that is mostly it for the year. I guess I am lucky in that my cellar is chock full wine that we really like after a couple of purges.
I have noticed that our consumption has spiked significantly during the loose lockdown. We are also drinking higher quality wine as well, which is a good thing!
Stay safe forumites.
Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Raymo

Post by Raymo »

mjs wrote:Seems like a box a day here atm, I can hear the van pull up from my study (while ostensibly working from home), box gets dropped, he rings the wifi doorbell and buggers off and I race through the front door to try to get the box before my wife wakes up to the fact that the doorbell app on her phone is ringing and there's more wine that has arrived. :lol: :lol:
:lol:

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

mjs wrote:Seems like a box a day here atm, I can hear the van pull up from my study (while ostensibly working from home), box gets dropped, he rings the wifi doorbell and buggers off and I race through the front door to try to get the box before my wife wakes up to the fact that the doorbell app on her phone is ringing and there's more wine that has arrived. :lol: :lol:
There really needs to be a like function on this board. Your post made me laugh more than any other post on here as this is me normally! :D
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

mjs

Post by mjs »

ticklenow1 wrote:
There really needs to be a like function on this board. Your post made me laugh more than any other post on here as this is me normally! :D
Well, we've gotta laugh, haven't we, this world is a bit mad atm :shock: :lol:
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Bought none so far. It's been a good opportunity to make a little space and in no way would any purchases be necessary. I have plenty to drink.

That said, I'm conscious that the UK government is still hell-bent on Brexit, so I will buy some more Italian wines whilst I still have access to the range on the continent

Redav

Post by Redav »

I keep intending on buying some but haven't yet :lol:

brodie

Post by brodie »

felixp21 wrote:I'm in the same boat, can't stop buying wines from offers that are ridiculous!!!
Yes – hard to resist some of these offers indeed. Never thought I would see Ch. Rayas on sale, rare as hens teeth in NZ.

But is good to support the businesses.
JamieBahrain wrote:And nobody is going on expensive holidays? More fat in the budget.
!
Well yes, I had considered this briefly. But then I realised it would only be true is there was any such thing as a “wine budget”!
Hah, another one trying to hide purchases from the wife! Luckily in NZ, there is no doorbell ringing. This means I keep an eye out for the courier (normally mid-afternoon for some reason) and then quietly slip the wine into the cellar. No one needs to know…..

Great to see how everyone else is dealing with the situation.

Brodie

via collins

Post by via collins »

One of the collateral damages at my house was when my partner went to trim spending and noted my wine storage fee each month.

That has arguably been our worst scenario to deal with. And happily, as per others above, one of the unintended consequences has been an upswing in cellar raids, and some very fine drinking indeed. Last week a 2006 Mt Ed was cracked as it happened to be handy. Thank-you Covid-19.

It was superb.

cheers,

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

via collins wrote:One of the collateral damages at my house was when my partner went to trim spending and noted my wine storage fee each month.

That has arguably been our worst scenario to deal with. And happily, as per others above, one of the unintended consequences has been an upswing in cellar raids, and some very fine drinking indeed. Last week a 2006 Mt Ed was cracked as it happened to be handy. Thank-you Covid-19.

It was superb.

cheers,
VC, that's why I pay yearly and a year in advance, best rates, can forget about it and the pain only happens annually. Plus as you say reducing the evidence of monthly statements/letters is always a good thing :wink:
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

via collins

Post by via collins »

Very wise advice indeed. File under "If I knew then what I know now :)"