Australian Nero D'Avola - whats good?

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Wizz

Australian Nero D'Avola - whats good?

Post by Wizz »

Spawned from a discussion on the Vietti thread.

Whats good in Australian Nero D'Avola? There are a heap of them appearing on the shelves. Some I have tried, all 2018s I think:

Coriole: (I have a ntoe that Iv'e jsut copied the Winefront note as it is spot on) Purple, stony, floral, spicy, dark chocolate almond. Medium-bodied, distinctly ‘mineral’ feel here, good fruit, but not specifically fruity, with a raft of other more savoury flavours in the mix. Finish is gently chalky in tannin, with an ‘inky’ aftertaste

Unico Zelo: Didnt write down which one this was. Pretty ordinary. no faults, but to call it elegant is doing it a kindness. Its just lacking punch or any real character, Orange rind and red berries, dusted with spices, reminiscent of sangria in some ways. $15 would have been fairer that the $50 (!!) asking price

S C Pannell Diavolo: This is a bit of a beast that has seen some winemaking attention. Raw and young and needs time to settle. It’s a big juicy thing, and seems to have seen some work too - graphite and mocha to go with fat juicy ripe cherries and a lick of tannin to close it out. Leave to settle. Will be a versatile food wine.

Cheers

Andrew

Benchmark

Re: Australian Nero D'Avola - whats good?

Post by Benchmark »

I am 0/3.

In fairness to Nero D'Avola, they have been spontaneous purchases and certainly leaning on the inexpensive side.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

marsalla

Post by marsalla »

I have a fair bit of experiance with NdA and have yet to see a great example of Australian wine. Might sound counterintuitive but I reckon we are planting it in too hot/too irrigated regions.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Sipping the Primo Estate version now.

Yikes. 14.5% alcohol and nothing varietal going on here. Its a very nice Shiraz :P

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

You've reminded me. I've got a 6-pack of Brown Brothers Nero D'Avola from about 2009 sitting in there somewhere. The first 6-pack went down so well I thought I'd better hide the second one. And then they had some sort of issue at the vineyard where they were growing it and it didn't come out for a couple of years.
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I've not tried too many Australian Nero D'Avola's, but I quite like a local - grown and made in the Perth metropolitan area by Paul Conti Wines:

https://www.paulcontiwines.com.au/wp-content ... Davola.pdf

Pretty good for $20.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.