Brisbane Verticals Tasting - Notes

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Michael McNally

Brisbane Verticals Tasting - Notes

Post by Michael McNally »

Thanks for all the feedback on the Verticals threads. Here is what I have decided to go with and the rough format. Any Brisbane forumites are welcome to join us for dinner or to just come and have a taste of the wines. PM me for the address. So far we have 8 attendees and too much wine. :shock:

5.30/6.00pm start
Seppelt Drumborg Vineyard Riesling - 2017, 2015, 2012
Hoddles Creek Chardonnay - 2017, 2015, 2013

I think we taste through these six wines together either in three flights of two (by vintage) or two flights of three (by wine). Then enjoy a glass or two of our favourites with the entree/nibbles of cheeses, olives, jamon serrano, etc.

Then I think it's red time:
Marius Wines Simpatico Shiraz – 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2004
Majella Cabernet Sauvignon – 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2004

That way people can do retrospectives of a single wine or vintage by vintage comparisons (thanks for the idea Dave). The choice is yours!

At some point in the red tasting (about 7.30/8.00) I will fire up the BBQ and cook some steaks for those that have RSVPed, so that when the tasting is done we can sit down and eat with our favourites from the tasting. There will be a couple of simple salads.

Maybe some more cheeses, and Yasmin is making a pavlova.

Kick people out about 10.00/10.30 (it is a school night :D )

Go on - you know you want to!

Cheers

Michael
Last edited by Michael McNally on Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Luke W

Re: Brisbane Tasting - Verticals - Sunday 15 December - All welcome

Post by Luke W »

Have a great night guys, I'll be thinking of you from the deep south and raising a glass of good Tassie bubbles or pinot....
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Yes, enjoy the evening. Sadly work calls.
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Michael McNally

Sorry you two can't make it.

Wine update - went to the cellar and couldn't find my 2016s. Marius because it is buried at the back; Majella because I haven't bought them yet! :shock:

Have consulted the crew and we will just be doing the 4 older vintages: 2013, 2010, 2007 and 2004. Should give us enough perspective.

Cheers

Michael

Michael McNally

Re: Brisbane Verticals Tasting - Notes

Seven plucky tasters lined up for a look at 4 mini verticals. I didn't take detailed notes as it was mainly a social occasion with the wine geekery a sideline.

Before getting into the verticals we shared a lovely bottle of Charles Heidsiek Brut Reserve. Great fine bead. Plenty of bready goodness (thought this might have been BdB but its a standard PN/PM/CH). Beautiful Champers - thanks Nick!

The Seppelts Drumborg Rieslings are certainly of a style with a strong core of lemon fruit and soft persistent acid. The 17 was Semillon-like in its acid profile, but the lemon curd that carries the wine was very moreish. The 15 was fatter through the palate and the 12 was really starting to show some age with a bit of kero/lanolin. Most prefered the older wines, but there was some love for the 15. Nice start.

The Hoddles Creek Chardonnays are a similarly impressive trio given their relative youth. Again, the similarities lie in the fruit profile, with a peach/nectarine and guava (Nick thought custard apple). Also a common lees aspect that starts out almost cheesy, but becomes more 'struck match' as the wines age. The 13 was the clear favourite but the common thread is the quality for the price. (This is part of the problem with aging them - it's easy to pull one out of the cellar saying to oneself "it's only 20 odd bucks")

As an interlude we had another bottle of bubbles - 2010 Majella Sparkling Shiraz. Really good drop thanks Nick! We also tried a 2017 Allies Assemblage Mornington Pinot that Rens had brought along. None too shabby with good mushoomy complexity and a focus on structure and savouriness rather than trying too hard. Thanks Rens!

Onto the red verticals (all had been double decanted 4 hours prior) and first was the Marius Simpatico Shiraz. Some variation, but the common theme here for me was a kirsch-like cherry to the nose and dark cherry/blabk plum fruit with spice. As the wines got older the main difference was the resolution of the tannin and the length. Softer and longer as the wines get older. the 2010 was a bit of a standout in that it was noticably bigger than the other wines, even the 2004 which is no shrinking violet. The 2007 did not reflect the poor reputation of the vintage and was probably the most savoury and approachable wine on the day. The 2010 will be better than the 2004 in time.

To the Majella Cabernet. If anything these wines are stylistically more consistent than the Simpaticos. Cassis, blackberry, a touch of mint and milk chocolate. Here there was a clear winner with the 2004 standing out with the depth and power of the fruit and the persistence of the finish. All four wines were excellent and would grace any meal (particularly with the steak we ate!). Not sure the 2010 will surpass the 2004 even with time.

I count votes for WOTN, but most thought the Majellas edged the Simpaticos as a group, but not by much and a couple of folks prefered the Marius.

For dessert Yasmin had made a Latvian Honey Cake and the 1986 Toro Albalá Don PX Gran Reserva Pedro Ximinez that Rens had brought was sublime with the not quite sweet flavours of the cake. Thanks Rens!

Fabulous fun and great catching up as always. Highly recommend this as an excuse to open multiple bottles from the cellar!

Cheers

Michael
Last edited by Michael McNally on Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael McNally

Michael McNally wrote:Seven plucky tasters lined up for a look at 4 mini verticals. I didn't take detailed notes as it was mainly a social occasion with the wine geekery a sideline.

Before getting into the verticals we shared a lovely bottle of Charles Heidsiek Brut Reserve. Great fine bead. Plenty of bready goodness (thought this might have been BdB but its a standard PN/PM/CH). Beautiful Champers - thanks Nick!

The Seppelts Drumborg Rieslings are certainly of a style with a strong core of lemon fruit and soft persistent acid. The 17 was Semillon-like in its acid profile, but the lemon curd that carries the wine was very moreish. The 15 was fatter through the palate and the 12 was really starting to show some age with a bit of kero/lanolin. Most prefered the older wines, but there was some love for the 15. Nice start.

The Hoddles Creek Chardonnays are a similarly impressive trio given their relative youth. Again, the similarities lie in the fruit profile, with a peach/nectarine and guava (Nick thought custard apple). Also a common lees aspect that starts out almost cheesy, but becomes more 'struck match' as the wines age. The 13 was the clear favourite but the common thread is the quality for the price. (This is part of the problem with aging them - it's easy to pull one out of the cellar saying to oneself "it's only 20 odd bucks")

As an interlude we had another bottle of bubbles - 2010 Majella Sparkling Shiraz. Really good drop thanks Nick! We also tried a 2017 Allies Assemblage Mornington Pinot that Rens had brought along. None too shabby with good mushoomy complexity and a focus on structure and savouriness rather than trying too hard. Thanks Rens!

Onto the red verticals (all had been double decanted 4 hours prior) and first was the Marius Simpatico Shiraz. Some variation, but the common theme here for me was a kirsch-like cherry to the nose and dark cherry/blabk plum fruit with spice. As the wines got older the main difference was the resolution of the tannin and the length. Softer and longer as the wines get older. the 2010 was a bit of a standout in that it was noticably bigger than the other wines, even the 2004 which is no shrinking violet. The 2007 did not reflect the poor reputation of the vintage and was probably the most savoury and approachable wine on the day. The 2010 will be better than the 2004 in time.

To the Majella Cabernet. If anything these wines are stylistically more consistent than the Simpaticos. Cassis, blackberry, a touch of mint and milk chocolate. Here there was a clear winner with the 2004 standing out with the depth and power of the fruit and the persistence of the finish. All four wines were excellent and would grace any meal (particularly with the steak we ate!). Not sure the 2010 will surpass the 2004 even with time.

I count votes for WOTN, but most thought the Majellas edged the Simpaticos as a group, but not by much and a couple of folks prefered the Marius.

For dessert Yasmin had made a Latvian Honey Cake and the 1986 Toro Albalá Don PX Gran Reserva Pedro Ximinez that Rens had brought was sublime with the not quite sweet flavours of the cake. Thanks Rens!

Fabulous fun and great catching up as always. Highly recommend this as an excuse to open multiple bottles from the cellar!

Cheers

Michael

rens

Post by rens »

Thanks again Michael for your generosity and a great evening and a beautifully cooked steak.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity