Amaro - My new curiosity

The forum for lovers of Gin, Whiskey, Malts, Rums and more to get together, discuss, share and enjoy!
PaulG

Amaro - My new curiosity

Post by PaulG »

Hi everyone,

I've recently discovered Amaro Montenegro (an Italian digestive for those who haven't come across it). I love the semi-sweet, slightly bitter citrus notes on this beautiful drink which led me to be curious about other Amaros out there.

As a fan on Never Never's gins, I thought I'd give their interpretation a try, but found it too sickly for me.

Before I spend a bunch of cash on amaros that I might not enjoy, I wondered if anyone had experience with these beautiful beverages, and what you would suggest I try in the vein of Montenegro?

Mahmoud Ali

Re: Amaro - My new curiosity

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I enjoy vermouths, not just the commercial brands but also the ones on the more bitter end of the spectrum, so although I haven't had an amaro I imagine I would very much like them. I look forward to hearing any advice that might appear here.

Cheers .................... Mahmoud.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Hi Paul
Just noticed this.
I'm a fan, though it took a while to adjust to them and develop a taste for them.
I would say taste widely as there are many different ones out there, and not just from big firms. Piemonte certainly has many and some very fine ones using alpine herbs. However I've had good ones from elsewhere in Italy, including Sicily. I don't have a favourite, but enjoy pretty much all of them.

Have you tried the soft drink 'Chinotto'? That might be worth giving a try if you can find it (I do recall there was some in Australia a while back). It's a bitter citrus fruit, which I find very appetising. Oddly most has colour added to make it look like Coke, but a few producers have now dropped the colouring, which I'm glad about. I'm also told it makes an interesting alternative to tonic for Gin (though I'm not a Gin drinker so can't confirm that).

Regards
Ian

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Ian,

I quite like Chinotto, though I've not had it for some time now, but will definitely take up your suggestion to try in with gin instead of tonic.

Thanks .................... Mahmoud.