TN: Perticaia Grechetto (Montefalco) 2016 DOC

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Waiters Friend

TN: Perticaia Grechetto (Montefalco) 2016 DOC

Post by Waiters Friend »

Many Tuscan whites comprise two or more of these grape varieties: Malvasia, Trebbiano and Grechetto. We stumbled across a delightful wine at a café in the Montefalco central piazza which was arguably the best white wine we had in Italy. Alas, we cannot remember the brand - however, it was a straight Grechetto.

I also purchased, and was quite impressed by, the Perticaia Sagrantino I purchased from a wine merchant in Montefalco. So, arriving back in Perth I discovered that the Perticaia Grechetto was available here, so we had to try it out.

Quite golden in colour, especially for a 2016, and this did not bode well. The nose is unctuous, with waxy overtones and a range of fruits: fresh apricots, a little guava or kiwi-fruit, grapefruit. There's a freshness that belies the colour. The palate is glossy with rich fruit flavours and reminds us of a viognier - balance between apricot fruit, textured mouthfeel and supporting acid. Good length.

After the initial foreboding, we were quite impressed by this. It's not quite the wine we remember from Montefalco - but it's not far off. Drink soon, though, in case the colour is really telling us something :)

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.