Sydney Single Vineyard Shiraz (Barossa/Eden Valley) Offline 24/10@Paesanella, Marrickville

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Alex F

Sydney Single Vineyard Shiraz (Barossa/Eden Valley) Offline 24/10@Paesanella, Marrickville

Post by Alex F »

Would anyone be interested in having dinner in Marrickville or surrounds (i.e. inner west) matched to Barossan shiraz in the next month or so? I have succumbed to the temptation/hype of Standish and Ruggabellus but my opinion is that any of the recent releases will be a waste to drink so young for one or two people. It will be much more interesting if I could compare them with some of the other Barossan shirazes. If the theme is too narrow I would be interested in expanding to any single vineyard shiraz.
Last edited by Alex F on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dave vino

Re: Sydney Single Vineyard Shiraz (Barossa) Offline

Post by dave vino »

Yeah why not, I'd be interested. Old school tasting. Maybe keep it casual and hit up Via Napoli or something.

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

Interested pending date!
instagram.com/wine_pug

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

It will be great to catch up! Yes, it might be old school, although I am hoping that we will get to see some wines that break the big, bold, Barossan mould.

Agree on something low key, pizza is good, there are at least two good places in Marrickville that does byo and takes bookings, Rosso Pomodorino and Paesenella.

I am easy regarding dates, say sometime next month after the long weekend, is there a preference between midweek or the weekend?

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

yeah after the long weekend is good - midweek is best for me
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

I have started compiling a list of single vineyard shirazes from the Barossa/Eden Valleys, mostly by manually going down the wineries at barossa.com in alphabetical order. The cheapest one (Tanunda Matthews Road) seems to be $15 and Hill of Grace is I guess around $800? I haven't got to Torbreck yet so the upper bound might move. I have never heard of God's Hill but they seem to have some exxy shiraz as well. It is interesting to see big companies that have lots of single vineyard wines, e.g. Grant Burge.

Partial list as follows ('?' indicates a label I am unsure about and ',' separates labels from the same winery):

Torzi Matthews Frost Dodger
Epsilon
Dutschke St Jakobi
Ballycroft Small Berry
Teusner The Wark 
Hutton Vale Farm
Henschke Mt Edelstone, Hill of Grace
Chateau Tanunda The Chateau, Matthews Road Shiraz
Standish all labels?
Eperosa all labels?
Elderton Command?
Edenmae Cooper
Flaxman Estate Shiraz?
Greenock Creek Roennfeldt Road, Seven Acre, Apricot Block, Alices, Casey's Block
God's Hill Menzel
Grant Burge Filsell?, Miamba, The Natural
Hart of the Barossa Ye Brave?, Old Vine?
Hayes Limited Release
Hemera Estate Home Block (+ others)
Hewitson Mad Hatter, 66 Seppeltsfield Rd?, Monopole Mother Vine,
Hentley Farm Shiraz, The Beauty, The Beast
Jacob's Creek Old Vine
Kies Klauber Block, Dedication
Kellermeister Threefold Farm, Black Sash?, The Meister
Kaesler Alte Reben, Old Bastard
Kalleske Greenock, Moppa, Johann Georg
Liebich Leveret, The Darkie?
Laughing Jack Moppa, Greenock, Vintage Fortified Shiraz
Langmeil Orphan Bank?, Pure Eden, Freedom?
Rockford Shiraz VP
Last edited by Alex F on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.

mjs

Post by mjs »

What is it with Sydneysiders from at least a couple of forums having a penchant for Barossa Shiraz :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I’d add

Laughing Jack Moppa and others
Sami Odi Hoffmann
Poonawatta various
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Rockford...Two Hands..Head...Kaesler...If you look hard enough almost everyone has at least one or has had at least some single vineyard bottlings...

I would also recommend somewhere reasonably close to a train station. We've had a few where it was a bit of a trek, bus ride or uber to a train station...but it is a pain...That said, BYO is getting harder to find so it is what it is..

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

How about doing a BV vs EV single vineyard battle?

One thought on that, if anyone has them you could even include different vintages of Head Wines The Contrarian in this as it is a SV wine but some years have come from EV and more recently from Greenock!
------------------------------------
Sam

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

sjw_11 wrote:How about doing a BV vs EV single vineyard battle?

One thought on that, if anyone has them you could even include different vintages of Head Wines The Contrarian in this as it is a SV wine but some years have come from EV and more recently from Greenock!
I am keen to do BV vs EV blind and see whether we can pick the difference. Most of the wines I have are from the Eden Valley (which is officially, strangely, classified as Barossa).
mjs wrote:What is it with Sydneysiders from at least a couple of forums having a penchant for Barossa Shiraz :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think I actually prefer Mclaren Vale/Clare/Hunter shiraz, but all the hype revolves around the Barossa lately! I would like to assess the Standish Lamella for instance, to see whether I should keep collecting wines from the Hutton Vale vineyard.
Polymer wrote: I would also recommend somewhere reasonably close to a train station... That said, BYO is getting harder to find so it is what it is..
Paesenella is under 10 min (sober!?) walk from Sydenham station. One other place I have always wanted to BYO to is Spice Alley next to Central station, you can even book rooms ahead if you have more than 10 people (and $30 a head spend). Up the road is Via Napoli as suggested by Dave and Vacanza. But I agree, close to transport is a big plus. I will shortly contact the people who have expressed interest in going to try and lock down a date/location, so please make your preferences know asap here if anyone else has anything to say about location in this thread.

Hacker

Re: Sydney Single Vineyard Shiraz (Barossa/Eden Valley) Offline

Post by Hacker »

I would be keen if venue and timing works. There is an Italian near me called Mangia e Bevi which has close to the worlds best pizzas and veal, chicken and sublime pasta. It’s on the bus line but not near a train though at Rose Bay on New South Head Rd.
https://www.mangiaebevi.com.au/ Outside courtyard should keep us happy.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Took a look at the wine menu and am shocked at some of the prices. The Poliziano is a regular Chiani, and at $70 it is almost highway robbery. Besides Poliziano is known for their Vino Nobilo di Montepulciano so their Chianti is pretty much their leftovers.

cleanskinlover

Post by cleanskinlover »

dave vino wrote:Yeah why not, I'd be interested. Old school tasting. Maybe keep it casual and hit up Via Napoli or something.
Is that the Via Napoli that is basically on top of Bardwall Park Train Station? If so I can confirm these are some of the best Pizza's I've ever had.

I would definitely go Via Napoli with a fat Shiraz. :D :D :D

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

That pizza place above Bardwell park looks good, but not sure how many people will be keen. Same goes for Rose bay!

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

Also, in Summer Hill, One Penny Red does byo for $85 (tailored five course meal) on the last Tuesday of every month. Maybe a bit much for a casual get together but certainly intrigues me.

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

Didn't know where Bardwell Park was but it seems close to the airport. If its above the station that sounds good.

I've got some young Eperosa and the 3 hair coloured head reds.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

Croquet King wrote:Didn't know where Bardwell Park was but it seems close to the airport. If its above the station that sounds good.

I've got some young Eperosa and the 3 hair coloured head reds.
I have sent everyone pms regarding time/location. I am not fussed on the wines as long as they conform to "Single Vineyard Barossa/Eden" if that is what we end up deciding to do. :p I'll probably get everyone to send me a list of wines they are willing to bring and I'll just reject any that will cause duplicates.

However, Ruggabellus is here so I'll bring the Archaeus as I know you are keen :p

mse

Post by mse »

Hi Alex,

I would be keen for the tasting if there are any spots left. :)

Michael

Alex F

Re: Sydney Single Vineyard Shiraz (Barossa/Eden Valley) Offline 24/10@Paesanella, Marrickville

Post by Alex F »

Thank you to everyone who replied to the PMs regarding location and time, Croquet King, dave vino, and myself have now locked down a time and location as follows for the bring a bottle of Barossa/Eden Valley single vineyard shiraz offline.

Location: Paesanella. 150-152 Marrickville Rd, Marrickville, the closest train station is Sydenham which is 600m away. It is also close to the bus line running through Newtown to the city.
Time: Tasting starting at 7 pm, Thursday, 24th of October.

The menu can be found here: https://paesanella.com.au/lunch-dinner-menu/. Plenty of antipasti that will be suitable and pizzas run at round $20-25 a pizza. BYO is about $4 a person, I will reconfirm when I book.

The restaurant shuts at 10 pm so we'll keep it small and casual, but I reckon there is room for up to three more people (since pizza is divided into six!) if there are any more people interested :)

So far wines pencilled in the line-up:

- Head Redhead 2012
- Hutton Vale 2012
- Standish Lamella 2017
- Eperosa 2017
- Ruggabellus Archaeus 2018

dave vino

Re: Sydney Single Vineyard Shiraz (Barossa/Eden Valley) Offline 24/10@Paesanella, Marrickville

Post by dave vino »

Really fun night, some cracking wines. Food was about $160 for 5 of us (anti-pasti platter, garlic bread, pizzas, calzone, byo etc) Nice little restaurant. They seemed to warm to us as the night went on. Huge thanks to Alex for organising. Also thanks to everyone's generosity and great conversation.

Was good to see Alex again! I have no idea how many years it has been, and there is never a dull moment with CK on board, notwithstanding he and Bachaebabe actually kind of/sort of worked together in years gone past so they were talking up a QA/Testing storm :-) Alex and I discussed the finer points non-commutative ring theory just to keep him on his toes, oh and there were wines!! Lots of them.

Burges would have been happy as not a single white wine was had during the night.

There were some seriously good wines with the 06 Dutschke Oscar Semmler one of the standouts for me, along with the Head The Redhead, very moreish and supple with lashings of chocolate. The Standish Lamella was a brutish monster (in a good way) with years ahead of it. A lovely 02 Turkey Flat Shiraz which was hitting the secondary part of its life and just a lovely old girl to drink. The Eperosa was punching way above its weight and certainly one to hunt down, like a younger sibling of the RedHead but only a third of the price I believe. I also liked the 02 Dutchske Jakobi but it would have fared better under screwcap methinks. The 15 Sami-Odi Mahe was also showing really well, albeit still a touch green in its infancy.

Some nicely thought out, bit off the radar producers made this such a great tasting. Barossan Shiraz made with great skill and respect to the vines can produce thoughtful wines that are not the stereotypical big Barossan ooze monsters of yore.

I think the final line-up was…

Alex Head Redhead 2012
Eperosa Magnolia 2017
Standish Lamella 2017
Hutton Vale Shiraz 2012
Ruggabellus Archaeus 2018
Kalleske Greenock 2005
Kalleske Greenock 2007
Dutschke St Jakobi 2002
Dutschke Oscar Semmler 2006
Sami-Odi Mahe 2015

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Dave that sounds like a great night, lovely wines and great value for money on the food.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

Thank you to those who attended for being so generous with wines and time travelling to somewhere local to me :) It was a privilege to be able to compare the wines of Ruggabellus, Eperosa, Standish, Sami Odi, and Alex Head; my impression of which are the "up and coming" Barossan winemakers. I had a great night and enjoyed everyone's company very much. Usually I lose my tasting notes but this time I forgot the paper napkin on which Dave and I solved one of the world's hardest problems. Ah well, P = NP will have to wait till the next onee.

The wines were all mostly amazing. I think some testament to this is that no one poured any out until maybe the 8th wine :). The absolute standout for me was the Dutschke Oscar Semmler 2006. I also really enjoyed Sami Odi, Head, the other Dutschke, the Turkey Flat, and the Standish. The two Kalleskes did not show well, neither did the Hutton Vale. I do not think that there is any point in drinking the Ruggabellus early: for the price, I would take two of the Fluus right now. I am going to leave my remaining bottle alone for fifteen years and pray something miraculous happens. The Standish, Sami Odi need to be left for a very long time due to the tannins. For me, this tasting reaffirmed that I should continue collecting Barossan shiraz and (mostly) trust winemakers to put wine in the bottle that is adequately described by the back label. That is, the hype is (mostly) justified (if you like big wines). I am not terribly happy with the choice of cork for Standish/Sami Odi/Eperosa. Does zero defect eliminate bottle variation as well as cork taint?

My tasting notes in the order the wines were tasted:

We started with the Ruggabellus Archaeus 2018 (4/5 stars). It was a blazingly hot day and we wanted something light to start the evening with. This was poured and everyone remarked on its beautiful colour - garnet/amethyst; One could propose with a gemstone of such clarity and brilliance. Beyond the plummy primary fruit, I got spice - cloves, cinnammon on the nose. Very very light bodied (especially revisiting after all the 'big' wines had been done). Does have more concentration and length compared to the Fluus 2018, but at this stage not substantially different, including notes of vinegar (in a good way). I do not get this wine at this stage of its life, it needs a really long decant, the wine was only really hitting its straps (amazing chewy texture!) on the second/third days after opening. I am going to trust the winemaker on this one and lay it down for a while and hope for the best - https://www.ruggabellus.com.au/august-2018-tasting-notes/

Then going from old to new, starting with the Turkey Flat 2002 (4/5 stars): A wine to restore one's faith in aged Barossan shiraz. Cork broke into two. Still quite a dark colour (i.e. darker than the 2002 Dutschke). Some leatheriness that seems to blow away with air. Secondary flavours of cedar and spice shine through. Delicious wine, medium weight, good balance and finishes long with medium intensity and good supporting acid. Fully ready to go for me.

We did the two Dutschke's next. This was a very interesting and rewarding comparison of two wines from the same vineyard, but the Oscar Semmler is the top X barrels selected. On the evidence in front of us, the barrel selection clearly works. Or, maybe, it is to do with the different closures, cork for the older wine, and screwcap for the younger. Or, the difference between 2006, and 2002 (a cooler vintage). This pair were highlights of the evening for me. Both wines had a texture like liqueur and shared a terrific acid line to the finish. I have no hesitation naming the Oscar Semmler 2006 (5/5 stars) as my favourite wine of the evening, it was a dark, impenetratable colour, still brimming with rich primary black fruits. I think age has lent it terrific balance and linearity throughout the entire palate and I am sure it will continue being stunning for the next 10 years. On the other hand, the St Jakobi 2002 (4.5/5 stars) was a much lighter colour, barely beyond red, bricking extending quite far in from the edges. Lots of secondary flavours, the nose hints at a wine that is about to go into decline. Kirsch like palate with supporting tannins still on the finish. Impressively unchanged the next day (after using the winesave). As an aside, this great bottle was by far the best one I've had from my six-pack.

After some thought, I have come to the conclusion that the two Kalleske's that followed were not favoured by the cork gods. The Greenock Shiraz 2005 (3/5 stars) was a pretty dark colour, especially compared to the Greenock 2007 (3/5 stars) which was as light as the 2002 Dutschke. However, it was very hollow in comparison to other wines. Very charry oak/savoury notes on the nose, seems to hit you upfront in the mouth, then drops completely away before finishing acidic, hot (15.5% alcohol!), and a bit tannic. Much worse than the previous bottle. Some people thought that the 2007 was a bit oxidised, I thought that maybe the vintage may not have done it any favours; for me, it was dominated by oak. Both corks presented perfectly. Such is the insidious nature of this closure.

The Head Redhead 2012 (4.5/5 stars) was up next. After smelling the menthol, mint, eucalypt, I knew that I was going to like this wine. Still manages to be a bit sweet at an astoundingly restrained 14% alcohol. Flavours were linear and finished very long.

The next two glasses pitted the Sami Odi Mahe 2015 (4.5/5 stars) against the Eperosa Magnolia (4/5 stars). The Sami Odi was quite herbaceous on the nose (despite the 14.8% alcohol), a character which I liked as I thought it lent plenty of interest. It also had brilliant tannin structure with oodles of oomph, finishing long with a bitter, savoury edge. The Eperosa was very gamey/sour on the nose, it was only the next day that I remembered that they use wild yeast ferments so it makes sense. Apart from this, this seeems to be a very pure, sweet fruited, almost a bit too sweet for me, Barossan shiraz, with just enough tannins at the back to suggest that it will be good to see where it goes after the puppy fat is shedded.

Finally, to wrap up the tasting, the Hutton Vale 2012 (3.5/5 stars) versus the Standish Lamella 2017 (4.5/5 stars). These two wines come from the same vineyard and I have always wondered how much of it will be the terroir versus the wine making (Tuesner made the first one). Unfortunately, I really do not like the Hutton Vale. It was remarked upon that it had a strange nose. This I agree with, for me I got really dominant charry oak, and the palate seems all out of whack, with a texture, maybe from the tannins, which was a bit like boiled milk. Not any better the next day. I am fervently hoping this is in a dumb phase, for I cannot see Halliday's 98/100 rating on this. The Lamella was incredibly concentrated both on the nose and palate. Very spicy: pepper, eucalypt, five spice, very much so on the nose and leading onto the front palate. A very very rich dark fruited wine finishing with incredible tannins. Has incredible intensity and length to the finish. It was nice to have a tasting of it but very hard drinking at the moment, especially after fruit seems to subside after the second day open.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Always had a soft spot for Dutschke. Remember ordering the 99 and the 2000 vintages from Gavin and having them delivered to Rotterdam. My exwife still has a few bottles, but mine have long gone.

Thanks for the warning on the Archeaus - I bought a couple as well and they won’t be touched for a while.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Even though I no longer yearn for that style of wine, the Dutschke Oscar Semmler will always be very special to me. In August 2011, a friend gifted me a bottle of the 2008 vintage as a birthday present. That was the wine that started my journey into the wonderful world of wine. It opened my eyes (and my wallet) that there was so much more to wine than the $10-$15 plonk I was drinking prior to that.