Sicily trip planning

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
winetastic

Sicily trip planning

Post by winetastic »

My partner and I are planning a trip to Sicily in mid Oct, planning to visit the wine makers of Etna of course, as well as venturing farther afield.

Was wondering if anyone has any advice on specific wineries that are worth visiting, as well as any recommendations around accommodation or even which town(s) might be worth staying in?

Here is the list of producers we are hoping to visit so far:

Etna
Passopisciaro
SRC
Frank Cornelissen
Graci
Pietradolce
Girolamo Russo
Vini Biondi
Planeta
Salvo Foti
Benanti

Elsewhere
Lamoresca
Arianna Occhipinti
COS
Last edited by winetastic on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian S

Re: Sicily trip planning

Post by Ian S »

Hoping Sean (Marsalla) will chime in, having worked out there as a winemaker.

We've only been to Aeloian Islands plus a brief stop in Catania, so comments will be general

Do start mapping these wineries out on Google maps. Then search for other nearby wineries. Use these to pick up lesser known producers that seem interesting via website or other reading material or Cellartracker etc. I suggest this for the following reasons

1) By the time they are famous, they tend to be fully priced and regularly visited. Not necessarily a bad thing, but visiting a good solid (or up and coming) family winery can be a very special experience. Of all our winery visits, those are the ones that tend to stand out. Planeta is an interesting one - I would say include them by way of comparison. They are big and the few big places we've visited have been pretty disappointing.

2) Logistics: Whilst driving around can be enjoyable, zig-zagging here there and everywhere whilst watching the clock against the next scheduled appointment is less enjoyable. Conversely finding a couple of wineries next to each other, where you can simply walk from one to the other is more enjoyable. If there is a restaurant in walking distance, then better still. Park at the restaurant and then walk to the winery / wineries and the designated driver can indulge fully in the tasting.

When contacting wineries for appointments, bear in mind that for some lunch is still very important, so 1-4pm might be off-limits for them. However a tasting at 5:30 or 6pm might be perfectly reasonable. Whilst it's possible to squeeze in more, we'd aim for at most 4 per day, 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon (separated by a solid lunch). 90 mins per visit is a useful target and that includes time for a short trip (say 5-10 mins) between wineries.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

p.s. interesting that you don't have Benanti or Salvatore Foti on your list - not a fan?

via collins

Post by via collins »

Sicily remains one of my favourite places on earth - and I have only taken in a small amount of it! The fact that I have distributed Inspector Montalbano in Australia and NZ for 15 years plays in a little, but i'd adore it regardless of that.

CATANIA is an incredibly great town that hets overlooked - you know, airport, industrial (sort of) - all bollocks - lots of history, great cuisine.

PALERMO similar, but tons more actual history - and it also is the meeting place of Africa, Middle East and European cultures - physically, spiritually and on the dinner plate!

SYRACUSE/ORTIGIA - spent a fair amount of time staying on the island , feeling like I'd left the rest of the world entirely. Brilliant food, people, music, and lots of mythology and legends.

TAORMINA - brilliant - don't stay there. Stay in Giardini Naxos below, and transit up to enjoy the stunning beauty of Taormina - but pay about 1/3 of the accom costs. And be in a chilled environment with normal Sicilians.

You'll have a ball there,

Cheers.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

Ian S wrote:p.s. interesting that you don't have Benanti or Salvatore Foti on your list - not a fan?
From memory I have tasted a Benanti wine only once, so they were just not at the forefront of my mind, will add to the list.

Have never heard of Salvatore Foti, likewise onto the list.
Last edited by winetastic on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

via collins wrote:Sicily remains one of my favourite places on earth - and I have only taken in a small amount of it! The fact that I have distributed Inspector Montalbano in Australia and NZ for 15 years plays in a little, but i'd adore it regardless of that.

CATANIA is an incredibly great town that hets overlooked - you know, airport, industrial (sort of) - all bollocks - lots of history, great cuisine.

PALERMO similar, but tons more actual history - and it also is the meeting place of Africa, Middle East and European cultures - physically, spiritually and on the dinner plate!

SYRACUSE/ORTIGIA - spent a fair amount of time staying on the island , feeling like I'd left the rest of the world entirely. Brilliant food, people, music, and lots of mythology and legends.

TAORMINA - brilliant - don't stay there. Stay in Giardini Naxos below, and transit up to enjoy the stunning beauty of Taormina - but pay about 1/3 of the accom costs. And be in a chilled environment with normal Sicilians.

You'll have a ball there,

Cheers.
Thanks for the tips!

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

winetastic wrote:
Ian S wrote:p.s. interesting that you don't have Benanti or Salvatore Foti on your list - not a fan?
From memory I have tasted a Benanti wine only once, so they were just not at the forefront of my mind, will add to the list.

Have never heard of Salvatore Foti, likewise onto the list.
He was their winemaker, and now has his own operation under the name "I Vigneri di Salvo Foti - Vinupetra"