TN: Howard Park Chardonnay 2018

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Howard Park Chardonnay 2018

Post by Waiters Friend »

In previous years, the Howard Park Chardonnay was labelled "Western Australia" as the grapes were sourced from Margaret River and the Great Southern regions. Since 2017, it's been simply "Margaret River".

The 2018 is a pale yellow in colour. The nose shows fresh and clean citrus flavours (lemon, grapefruit) and some melon (rockmelon, honeydew). There's some cashew nut indicating judicious use of oak.

The palate is fuller and richer than the nose would indicate. There's more intense fruit, with nectarine and peach adding to the citrus. There's a slight creaminess indicating some time on lees and a modest drying character presumably from oak tannins.

Balanced now, and should improve over 5-6 years. I'll be leaving it a couple of years before trying the next one.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Waiters Friend

Re: TN: Howard Park Chardonnay 2018

Post by Waiters Friend »

I have to admit it's not been possible to keep my hands off this one, and my partner thinks its the best for 3-4 years as well.

This has darkened a little in colour, and is definitely now a pale yellow. On the nose, peach and nectarine are starting to emerge from the original citrus, and the oak remains as it was - supporting and nutty. The palate is as it was in 2019, almost to a tee.

Just as well I bought a few more of these. I generally don't drink my chardonnays this young, but I will make an exception for this.

Cheers
Allan

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

A year on, and we have some development in this wine. It's darkened somewhat (again) but is still on the paler side of yellow.

Savoury notes are starting to come out more. Peach and nectarine, with a little grapefruit, are the prominent fruits, and the oak is still supporting (despite the emergence of savoury notes). The palate reflects this, with cedary flavours almost equal in intensity with the fruit, and the wine has some textural grip. Excellent length and a very satisfying finish.

Oh dear, the bottle's empty - my partner may have slipped a couple of large glasses in while I was typing this.

It will be interesting to continue to observe the development of what is perennially a very good wine, and in this case from a top vintage.

Cheers
Allan

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

A further update from a couple of years ago. The photo will show the colour - its yellow with gold tinges.

The nose is fairly evenly split between peach, nectarine and a little grapefruit on one hand, and cedary oak and savoury notes on the other. The palate is where the more substantial development lays, with the fruit and cedar somehow more rich and mouthfilling, while the acid feels softer in proportion.

I've long considered the 2018 vintage to be one of the best in Margaret River, and this wine gives me more evidence to support this. No hurry to drink up, as this will go for some years yet. It just depends on how developed you like your chardonnays.

Cheers
Allan
HP 18.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.