Granite Belt Wineries.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TravisW

Granite Belt Wineries.

Post by TravisW »

Any wineries worth popping into up there?

Cheers,

Travis

Wizz

Re: Granite Belt Wineries.

Post by Wizz »

Yes. My picks, all quite different:

Tobin
Ridgemill Estate
Symphony Hill
Pyramids Road

Also:
Robert Channon
Ravenscroft
Not sure if La Petite Mort has a local outlet on the granite belt itself but their wines are good
Others seem quite fond of Ballandean Estate but I'm not so much,

Willard

Post by Willard »

I was passing through last year, the only stop I made was Tobin Estate (I think it was due to reading a old, glowing recommendation on here from Wizz himself if I remember correctly, so a belated thank you).

And so pleased I did. We arrived on a Thursday afternoon, no one else there and Adrian Tobin pouring, chatting and tasting and getting his view on the wine world and beyond, a very interesting person. The wines were terrific also, long-lived aged Semillon, Chardonnay, couple of Tempranillo which were super and probably deserve more age. I was really impressed. Fresh Riedel for every pour.

I don't have any other recommendations sorry, but Tobin should be on your list.

Will
wills.wines

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Robert Channon - check out the restaurant menu also before you go. It's been a few years since I was there
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Travis
As Willard says Tobin has to be on your list. Plan at least 2 hours there and try all the wines as they are surprisingly good. The aged semillons are stunning, the chardy is like LEAS, the reds are wonderful. If u love ur wine make sure you talk to Adrian as he'll love to talk to you about his wine and viticulture. His wines are no longer cheap though, generally around 70 bucks a bottle although u get 25% off by becoming a member.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

dingozegan

Post by dingozegan »

No love for Boireann?

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

dingozegan wrote:No love for Boireann?
Good pickup. Probably worth a visit still, although I didnt enjoy them quite so much the last time I visited - the cellar door was stinking hot, and the wines showed badly too :(

Also don't know how the sale went and whether the Starks are still there?

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Another recommendation for Tobin - also if you want somewhere nice for lunch I can recommend the Queensland College of Wine Tourism

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Thanks guys. I've passed this thread on to a few friends who are heading up that way. I'll press them for feedback. Cheers again.

Redav

Post by Redav »

Rednick wrote:Another recommendation for Tobin - also if you want somewhere nice for lunch I can recommend the Queensland College of Wine Tourism
I'd concur. We went to two degaustations there when Alastair McLeod was involved. It was very good but that was close to ten years ago.