IGA

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Waiters Friend

IGA

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

In Australia, IGA is a chain of independent grocery stores. In Italy, it stands for something much tastier - Italian Grape Ale.

The one I tried today is made from vermentino, with malt and hops, and tastes much like a beer. Pretty good (to someone like me who doesn't drink much beer).

Cheers
Allan
IGA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Ian S

Re: IGA

Post by Ian S »

Interesting.

I've certainly had beers with grape juice in them e.g. l'uva beer made using (IIRC) Barbera grape must. It seems the idea has pocked up speed.

I guess I had reservations of 'mixing grape and grain' / 'wine then beer makes you feel queer', but it was very enjoyable. I've long enjoyed beers with fruit in, including a wonderful orange accented beer made by the father of a school friend.

Regards
Ian

p.s. I'm guessing you were sitting up high in the middle village of the cinque terre. Are the coastal paths back open again? They often take a pounding from the weather and get closed for months on end.

p.p.s. Sciacchetrà spritz?? That sounds sacriligious, but then the prestigious wine of the region can either be brilliant or poor, so for the latter I sort of get the idea. Still sounds weird and I suspect the old-timers feel that even more so.

p.p.p.s If you get the chance, head over to La Spezia for the evening passeggiata. It's not a place to get excited about normally, but they have a lovely spacious area for the early evening stroll and it's very enjoyable to share it.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Ian S wrote:
p.s. I'm guessing you were sitting up high in the middle village of the cinque terre. Are the coastal paths back open again? They often take a pounding from the weather and get closed for months on end.
Ian, the main one between Riomaggiore and Manarola (Via Dell'Amore or Lovers Lane) was closed some time ago apparently (an Australian walker was killed in a landslide), and the local government/s have not started repairs yet.

Off to Florence in a couple of hours - any recommendations?

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Hi Allan
I'm afraid not, as despote many Italian holidays I've studiously avoided 'the big 3' of Roma, Venezia e Firenze (plus quite a few other smaller tourist hot-spts). I'm somewhat hypocritical in disliking hordes of tourists, not typically for the people themselves, but more for the effect that huge numbers of rushing tourists have on the areas around major sights - restaurants become fat, dumb and happy on easy tourist dollars, traditional shops get ousted by tourist-centric shops, litter becomes pervasive, the locals become more jaded (losing the great sense of hospitality that Italy often offers) etc.

One piece of advice I reckon should be universal in key tourist locations would be to get up early to see the more famous places, but ensure that you are a good 100+ yards away from a major tourist sight before considering dining there.

Sorry I couldn't be of any meaningful help :(

Regards
Ian