Best White Wines under $15 going around

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Adair

Best White Wines under $15 going around

Post by Adair »

Hello All,

I am needing to put together a couple of cases (probably 6) of red wines and a couple of cases of white wines (probably 3 and 3) for a function coming up but am limited to an average of around $12 per case. I have some ideas about the reds with the 2001 Outback Chase Shiraz (at $9 per bottle by the case) looking like a certainty and with TORB's tour diary coming out soon, I don't think I will be short of red wine ideas. (Auswine # 2 Shiraz would fit the bill perfectly but I think I need a label on the wine for general audience)

So, although I would not mind more red wine under $15 suggestions (please no Oomoo or Ingolby suggestions), I would really like some input about my best white wine options.

I think the Plantagenet "Hazard Hill" Semillon/Sauv Blanc will be a starter but what other white wines would please a general crowd?

I have thought about reverting to my beloved Tahbilk Marsanne but I don't think this would be a general crowd pleaser. I probably need more fruit. A lightly oaked Chardonnay would be good. I also note that Ian (n4sir) liked the 2003 Tatachilla Growers Semillon Sauvignon Blanc Chenin Blanc last week and this can be bought for around $12 by the case, so this is looking like a good thing at the moment. I tend to think that good young Riesling also needs a bit of wine education to be appreciated but the Leasingham Bastion or Jim Barry are in the back of my mind as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adair

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

A few personal faves that I think a crowd would like include

Primo Estate La Biondi (Sp?) Colombard, loads of fruit salad, crisp, refreshing

Either or both of

Dowie Doole and Coriole Chenin Blanc, as above, all too easy to drink.

Sticks Chardonnay

Just off the top of the head!
regards

Gavin Trott

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Brokenwood Semillon. $14-15 down here in Victoria.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Mount Pleasant Chardonnay. Rarely more than $11, and a very good wine. Plus, it has the word chardonnay on the front, which is very important. Seriously, it's historically (I haven't tasted the current release) a great wine for the price.

cheers,
Graeme

n4sir

Best whites under $15

Post by n4sir »

Browns of Padthaway Sauvignon Blanc - made by O'Leary Walker ($15)
Coriole Chenin Blanc ($13-$16)
Grant Burge Kraft Sauvignon Blanc ($12-$15)
d'Arenberg Stump Jump White Blend (<$10)
Jim Barry Florita Watervale Riesling ($12-$14)
Chapel Hill Unwooded Chardonnay ($15)

The Tatachilla Semillon Sauvignon Blanc Chenin Blanc ain't bad either ($11-$14), and the Mitchell of Watervale Semillon purely missed out on price ($16-$19)

Cheers
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Grant Dodd

Post by Grant Dodd »

Adair,

At the Monday Night Tasting Club(incidentally,last night!) we just happened to try the Leasingham Bastion Riesling 03 and the Bastion Cabernet 02. The riesling didn't find much approval,a bit lean with a big mid palate hole,but the Cabernet really blew us away. Tasted in the context of being a $10 wine,it seriously over-delivers and both Tyson and I intend to write it up. Buy a bottle and have a look and let us know what you think.

As for whites,you can't really go past the Peter Lehmann Semillon at your price point. It even has a touch of oak in there to keep everyone happy,the 02 is very good.

Cheers

scottv

Post by scottv »

Grant Dodd wrote:Adair,

As for whites,you can't really go past the Peter Lehmann Semillon at your price point. It even has a touch of oak in there to keep everyone happy,the 02 is very good.

Cheers

Found the 02 for $8 last week. In screwcap too. Bonus

markg

Post by markg »

Grant Dodd wrote:Adair,

At the Monday Night Tasting Club(incidentally,last night!) we just happened to try the Leasingham Bastion Riesling 03 and the Bastion Cabernet 02. The riesling didn't find much approval,a bit lean with a big mid palate hole,but the Cabernet really blew us away. Tasted in the context of being a $10 wine,it seriously over-delivers and both Tyson and I intend to write it up. Buy a bottle and have a look and let us know what you think.

Cheers

Where did you find the Bastion Cabernet 02 for $10 - Cheapest I can locate it around $16
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

Post by Guest »

Adair

Had the Tblk Marsanne recently with a group of people, went down rather well.
Try the 03 Cape Mentelle Georgiana, a medium bodied blend of SB, Sem & Chenin Blanc, about $12. That was another crowd pleaser.

Cheers :)

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

A couple of ideas:

03 Primo Estate La Biondina - agree with Gavin, a great guzzler, $13 or so I think
01/02 Rosemount Giants Creek Chardonnay occasionally gets specialled at $15
03 Rieslings from Richmond Grove, Jim Barry, and the Leo Buring Standard releases: the 04's cant be far away.
03 Veritas Christa Rolf Semillon is under $15, great drink
02 Peter Lehmann Sem is a screaming bargain sub $10
99 McWilliams Elizabeth is also good, $11 to $15
Goundrey's unwooded chardonnay is a crowd pleaser and might work too.

cheers

Andrew

Re: Best White Wines under $15 going around

Post by Guest »

Adair wrote:Hello All,

I am needing to put together a couple of cases (probably 6) of red wines and a couple of cases of white wines (probably 3 and 3) for a function coming up but am limited to an average of around $12 per case. I have some ideas about the reds with the 2001 Outback Chase Shiraz (at $9 per bottle by the case) looking like a certainty and with TORB's tour diary coming out soon, I don't think I will be short of red wine ideas. (Auswine # 2 Shiraz would fit the bill perfectly but I think I need a label on the wine for general audience)

So, although I would not mind more red wine under $15 suggestions (please no Oomoo or Ingolby suggestions), I would really like some input about my best white wine options.

I think the Plantagenet "Hazard Hill" Semillon/Sauv Blanc will be a starter but what other white wines would please a general crowd?

I have thought about reverting to my beloved Tahbilk Marsanne but I don't think this would be a general crowd pleaser. I probably need more fruit. A lightly oaked Chardonnay would be good. I also note that Ian (n4sir) liked the 2003 Tatachilla Growers Semillon Sauvignon Blanc Chenin Blanc last week and this can be bought for around $12 by the case, so this is looking like a good thing at the moment. I tend to think that good young Riesling also needs a bit of wine education to be appreciated but the Leasingham Bastion or Jim Barry are in the back of my mind as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adair

Hi FHA

It seems you're catering for a group of people with limited experience of wine. If Tahbilk Marsanne is one of your favourite reliable whites, I presume you're a member of the Tahbilk Wine Club. I seriously suggest Tahbilk Roussanne 03 as a definite (screwcap) inclusion in your selection. It's a complete, unoaked white with nice fruit, soft acid and some length on the finish, almost elegant. A very good alternative to a cheaper riesling and an "exotic" variety. Tahbilk Riesling 03 is a bit of a departure from the full-bodied 00 and 01s that I loved, perfumed, less savoury, prefer the 00/01. I've tried La Biondina 03 - prefer the Tahbilk Roussanne, though La B might interest the bag-in-the-box drinkers to discover what good winemakers can do . Can't argue with Lehmann Semillon suggestions.

If you can source it for $12-13 Lehmann's Clancy's 02 is a very agreeable wine. Found the 01 to be dominated by Am-oak. Bought the 02 to try and was pleasantly surprised. Oak is there, not so overtly American, it's well-integrated with the Barossa fruit displaying chocolate characters on the palate. Very good value Barossa red blend (without grenache or viognier). McWilliams Hanwood Merlot 02 is a plummy mouthful worth consideration, in fact so is the CS 02 and Shiraz 02 that was awarded a trophy and a couple of golds at the 03 Brisbane show, but then over the last couple of years the Hanwood range seems to have done particularly well at the Brisbane show - wonder if the Chard 03 will get a sticker or two at that event. Annies Lane Shiraz 02 at the right price deserves consideration as well.

Hope you'll report back on the event.

Cheers

daz

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Must've taken too long to compose the response to Adair's post and somehow when I edited it to suggest Goundrey Chenin Blanc as another white, the original post was repeated, again as Guest. Gavin, please delete the repeated, edited post, the one just before this. BTW FHA, the 02 Clancy's is a better wine than the 02 Rockbare.

daz

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Kemenys were advertising the 2002 Leasingham Bastion Cab for $10.99 each (by the case).. also including a free magnum.

I would suggest the 99 Mount Pleasant Semillon going for around $12. You can also get the 2002 Tulloch Verdelho for around $10 (www.jimscellars.com).

Bill

Post by Bill »

Adair,

Like you, I've also been looking around for some wines for a function. Have been trying a lot of chardonnays recently and have finally settled on the Port Phillip Chardonnay 2002. Very nice wine that you can find for around $15.

Bill