TN: Faber Vineyard Frankland River Cabernet Sauvignon 2013

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Faber Vineyard Frankland River Cabernet Sauvignon 2013

Post by Waiters Friend »

Very deep purple in colour. Huge nose with lots of blackberry jam, along with noticeable but not overpowering oak. This is a wine that you could just sit and nose for hours. Some dried herbs, and lots of dark and red fruits, which extend onto the palate. There's a touch of chocolate as well, and the wine is balanced and satisfyingly long.

Too young at this stage - easily another 10 years. Top wine, from a region under-rated for cabernet.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Waiters Friend

Re: TN: Faber Vineyard Frankland River Cabernet Sauvignon 2013

Post by Waiters Friend »

I'm surprised I have waited another 4 years to open a bottle of this. It's evolving nicely.

There's still plenty of blackberry jam (and in both TNs I mean jam in a sweet fruit sense, not 'jammy') and this is the dominant flavour on the nose and on the palate. Oak has integrated nicely, as have the tannins, and the acid is playing a supportive and freshening role. I was expecting to see some movement towards red fruits, but it hasn't happened (yet?)

However, I will revise my time line - 2029 may be too long (or it will surprise me and not be enough). I'm not going to leave it another 4 years before opening another one.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

This is certainly one advantage of buying multiple bottles of 'cellaring' wine. In addition to seeing the wine at different points in its development, it's also a good 'feedback loop' for getting a feel for the potential of younger wines. Not a precise science for sure, but it does help.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Just an added word. I've had the 2019 and the 2015 of these in the last week, and they are both better than the 2013. If you find them, buy!

The 2019 has just been quietly released by the winery at $50 a bottle.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day.

Time to open another one of these, at 11 years of age. Purple bordering on magenta in colour and still quite dense.

Previous tasting notes have focussed on blackberry fruits. This is still the initial impression on the nose, but almost matched by savoury notes (cedary oak?), dried herbs and graphite. There's certainly signs of development in the past year and a bit.

The palate, however, remains similar to the 2022 TN - still fruit-first with the oak, acid and developed savoury characters in supporting roles.
Still no red fruits amd the wine is long and flavourful.

This has probably peaked, but I still have a couple of bottles, and maybe will open another in coming months.

Cheers
Allan
FC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.