Barossa Shiraz named best in the world

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Matt@5453

Barossa Shiraz named best in the world

Post by Matt@5453 »

Source: Brand South Australia

BREAKING: Barossa shiraz named best in the world!

A Barossa Valley red from a small family-owned winery has been judged the best in the world at the International Wine Challenge held in London!

Kellermeister Wines 2015 Wild Witch Shiraz was also ranked the competition’s best Shiraz and best Australian wine. Wild Witch retails for $A85 a bottle and scored 98 points to take out the competition’s top prize.

Congratulations to Kellermeister, and another great achievement for our state!

#ichoosesa Barossa Valley My Barossa

cteague

Re: Barossa Shiraz named best in the world

Post by cteague »

*London Wine Competition, which only appears to be in its second year running and, from a quick gander, featuring a relatively minuscule amount of competition.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Tried the 13 WW at cellar door a few years ago and was blow away. Was one of the standouts from the entire Barossa weekend road trip. Has been a standard buy since.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

IWC has been running for many years, but maybe it had a break?

That said, it suffers from all the failings of such shows, with those with established reputations having no need to enter so 'best of an average bunch is arguably more accurate, but still overstates the case. Wines also tasted without food in large flights with an eclectic group of tasters, which added together inevitably favours show ponies.

Each year they market their winner as the best wine in the world, and such events do make good money for the organisers who know that bold statements are good for their brand.

Good for Kellermeister, but they ought not to get carried away with such a victory. It doesn't mean as much as the show organisers would like us to think.

Regards
Ian

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

IWC results always appeared in the long since departed Wine Magazine. The whole of the Sept Issue (usually) was full of pages of awards. In the late 80’s/early 90’s it was where I went to for must have wine and still remember
-Tescos Italian Red winning wine of the year. No idea what the vintage was and to be honest at that time I didn’t know that different vintages had different taste profiles. It was priced at £1.99
- Penfolds wines doing very well
- 1990 Pichon Baron winning the red wine of the year ahead of the Bin 707 (probably the 90 as well). That shocked me at the time as I was convinced that Auz reds were the only ones to drink.
- chasing around lots of supermarkets in search of a Gold Medal winning Romanian Pinot Noir that was priced around the $7 mark. Never found it.
- Daniel Thibault (Charles Heidseick)winning all the champagne awards most years and continually being named best sparkling wine maker. They got that one correct.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Mychurch...would have to agree with aforementioned magazine, I think you mean Wine and rhymes with bait...an absolute parody now and beyond relevant.
Same can be said for another trashy Australian mag that has a couple of scribes who are completely up themselves and seems only to cater to the affluent eastern stater's :roll: :roll:
Cheers craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Actually it was Wine International.

Looking back, it’s was really quite a good magazine, and I kept my subscription going long after I quit Decanter. As well as the IWC issue, there was always a 10 years retrospective and plenty of good advice - still remember the advice to stock up on as much Le Pin as you could find.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

There you go :oops:
Still stand by comments on the low level material we get here in Oz...my best wine information/source comes from right here :D
Cheers Craig.
Tomorrow will be a good day

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

mychurch wrote:IWC results always appeared in the long since departed Wine Magazine. The whole of the Sept Issue (usually) was full of pages of awards. In the late 80’s/early 90’s it was where I went to for must have wine and still remember
-Tescos Italian Red winning wine of the year. No idea what the vintage was and to be honest at that time I didn’t know that different vintages had different taste profiles. It was priced at £1.99
- Penfolds wines doing very well
- 1990 Pichon Baron winning the red wine of the year ahead of the Bin 707 (probably the 90 as well). That shocked me at the time as I was convinced that Auz reds were the only ones to drink.
- chasing around lots of supermarkets in search of a Gold Medal winning Romanian Pinot Noir that was priced around the $7 mark. Never found it.
- Daniel Thibault (Charles Heidseick)winning all the champagne awards most years and continually being named best sparkling wine maker. They got that one correct.
Indeed, they did get it right with Daniel Thibault and the Heidseick wines. I don't know about the others but it was the American Wine Spectator that chose the 1989 Pichon Baron as their Wine of the Year on the cover of their Top 100 edition. I know because I bought a bottle, for the then princely sum of $76 Canadian, one of my more expensive investment.

Mahmoud.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Kellermeister WW and Black Sash are pretty darn good IMO. Tried and bought a mixed case recently and they threw in a 6'er of their dry grown Pious Pioneer Shiraz as a bonus. Pretty hefty wines but well made and nice balance/big finish type stuff with loads of Cellaring potential. The WW bottle could be used as a weapon of mass destruction. It's up there in the hefty sucker category. Guess it suits the wine. :wink:

As for the award. Well done.
End of the day, same ol' same ol'.
Buy on scores, awards and reviews....or let your palate/nose do the judging.
Wild Witch ? I tried it, i liked it....i bought it. 2014 mind you.

on a day when i tried Ulithorne wines for the first time (very nice) and had a crack at a Pennies 17A the WW and black sash were right up there.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Ian S wrote:IWC has been running for many years, but maybe it had a break?

That said, it suffers from all the failings of such shows, with those with established reputations having no need to enter so 'best of an average bunch is arguably more accurate, but still overstates the case. Wines also tasted without food in large flights with an eclectic group of tasters, which added together inevitably favours show ponies.

Each year they market their winner as the best wine in the world, and such events do make good money for the organisers who know that bold statements are good for their brand.

Good for Kellermeister, but they ought not to get carried away with such a victory. It doesn't mean as much as the show organisers would like us to think.

Regards
Ian
Absolutely spot on, and applies to all shows

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

I have no doubt it'll help the wine sell..and probably bump the price as well...

Wild Witch is a solid wine...but it is a very typical soft ripe milky Shiraz from the region so good for people that like the style..

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Kellermeister 2016 Black Sash Shiraz gets the top gong in Syrah Du Monde.
got a couple parked in the cellar next to my 15's :wink:

https://www.businessnewsaus.com.au/articles/ ... ducer.html
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.