Donnafugata 'Sedara' 1999, Sicily.

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Mahmoud Ali

Donnafugata 'Sedara' 1999, Sicily.

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

This is my first post in this part of the forum, prompted by stumbling across Diddy's the thread on a Mount Etna Trip Report. Anyway, nothing fancy here, just an everyday drinker from Sicily, a 1999 Donnafugata 'Sedara' IGT, Sicilia (12.5%), a pure Nero d'Avola. By the way the name Sedara comes from a character in Giuseppe de Lampedusa's novel Il Gattopardo or The Leopard which was made into a fine movie starring Burt Lancaster
image.jpeg
I had it midweek with marinated chicken thighs and vegetable pizza slices. The colour marks its age, a mudbrick red centre with a terracotta rim. The nose is a fragrant, cool fruited (plum?) with a melange of garrigue, spice, and minerals. The palate is very similar, fleshy red fruit, herbal elements, fully resolved tannins and a dry savoury finish that lingers on the palate for quite some time. This, my last bottle, has turned out to be the best of the handful I squirreled away some years ago, a lovely find in a dusty old store.

I must say, some of these "ordinary" Italian wines do age very well.

Cheers ................. Mahmoud.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

winetastic

Re: Donnafugata 'Sedara' 1999, Sicily.

Post by winetastic »

Sounds grand

Ozzie W

Re: Donnafugata 'Sedara' 1999, Sicily.

Post by Ozzie W »

Nice one! I'd be surprised if it was drinking so well at 10 years, let alone 20.