What unpopular (wine) opinions do you have?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
A_Steady

Re: What unpopular (wine) opinions do you have?

Post by A_Steady »

Biodynamic, moon phase, flower day are new age religious terms abused to justify ridiculous prices for wine.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Hacker wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:55 pm ......could restaurants PLEASE STOP serving red wine at SUMMER ROOM TEMPERATURE!!!!!!! I understand there is a cost to the restaurant involved, but at mid to higher level, it should be MANDATORY to deliver red wine around 18 degrees.

I feel better now.
+1

SOOOO annoying!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Pet Nats...fu*king lazy winemaking, no other way to put it.
Received an email this morning listing a wine as Rainbow Juice

For Pete's sake...whatever next. If you don't have the ability to make a wine properly, don't pick the grapes!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Interesting opinion Mike

Agree re Cullen DM, love Wendouree, never over impressed with Rockfords BP. Just my 2c worth.
regards

Gavin Trott

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Mike Hawkins wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:38 pm I’ll add to my earlier thoughts…. McLaren Vale is a second tier region, with most of the heralded Shiraz over rated.
Can't fully agree on this one Mike...Marius and Bondar, love 'em to bits
Do agree Ian 100% that high end BV Shiraz is grossly over rated, and to the poster that BV Cabernet is very underrated.

I have just reread this thread, its a good one.

My comments on Riesling still stand, having had a brilliant 2023 Leonay yesterday, at $27 blows just about any white wine that I have had or can think of...to the moon :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh one more...critics having the gall to tell us we should be paying more for wine, when there is currently 2.75 billion bottles floating around that don't have a home. What business model do these said critics come from!!??

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

phillisc wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:34 pm
Oh one more...critics having the gall to tell us we should be paying more for wine, when there is currently 2.75 billion bottles floating around that don't have a home. What business model do these said critics come from!!??

Cheers Craig
One where they are serving the producers, more than they are serving their readers :lol:

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

phillisc wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:34 pm
Mike Hawkins wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:38 pm I’ll add to my earlier thoughts…. McLaren Vale is a second tier region, with most of the heralded Shiraz over rated.
Can't fully agree on this one Mike...Marius and Bondar, love 'em to bits
Do agree Ian 100% that high end BV Shiraz is grossly over rated, and to the poster that BV Cabernet is very underrated.

I have just reread this thread, its a good one.

My comments on Riesling still stand, having had a brilliant 2023 Leonay yesterday, at $27 blows just about any white wine that I have had or can think of...to the moon :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers Craig
.*

I have to agree with Craig on McLaren Vale, but only for Grenache. Don't drink a huge amount of McLaren Vale Shiraz, but still some decent stuff around. Blewitt Springs Grenache has just had two vintages ('21 & '22) where some of the most amazing Grenache I've ever had has been made.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Much as I might argue I very much don't like McLaren Vale, I remain a fan of Primo Estate. My favourite Sparkling red and a superb Aussie amarone (moda). I'd love to try their other bottlings using grapes that originated in Italy. I reckon I'd enjoy most of them.

SipAndANibble

Post by SipAndANibble »

My unpopular wine opinion is that wine takes a lot more effort and preparation compared to a can of Jim beam, lol.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

SipAndANibble wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:45 pm My unpopular wine opinion is that wine takes a lot more effort and preparation compared to a can of Jim beam, lol.
Riffing on that - preparing a restaurant quality dish takes a lot more effort and preparation than opening a bottle of wine... so whilst I absolutely have no issue with a 3x markup on food raw ingredients -> the price on the menu, doing the same on wine is taking the proverbial... and 4x and above for current release wines is a guarantee I'll not be buying wine off that list (nor indeed frequenting the restaurant).

SipAndANibble

Post by SipAndANibble »

Ian S wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:28 am
SipAndANibble wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:45 pm My unpopular wine opinion is that wine takes a lot more effort and preparation compared to a can of Jim beam, lol.
Riffing on that - preparing a restaurant quality dish takes a lot more effort and preparation than opening a bottle of wine... so whilst I absolutely have no issue with a 3x markup on food raw ingredients -> the price on the menu, doing the same on wine is taking the proverbial... and 4x and above for current release wines is a guarantee I'll not be buying wine off that list (nor indeed frequenting the restaurant).
Yep ! I was saying this to my wife the other day regarding the mark up on wines. For food in a restaurant - sure they’ve bought ingredients for less and selling it for more, but they’ve transformed it all with skill and technique, and added to it to make the dish, so they’ve added value. With wine, they’ve literally bought and stored the finished product, and opened the bottle, with a huge mark up for the privilege! That really annoys me ! Except if they’ve acquired rare wines. But yeah it puts me off buying wine at a restaurant TBH. I’d rather source good wine direct at a good price, I.e. wendouree

SipAndANibble

Post by SipAndANibble »

Ian S wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:28 am
Yep ! I was saying this to my wife the other day regarding the mark up on wines. For food in a restaurant - sure they’ve bought ingredients for less and selling it for more, but they’ve transformed it all with skill and technique, and added to it to make the dish, so they’ve added value. With wine, they’ve literally bought and stored the finished product, and opened the bottle, with a huge mark up for the privilege! That really annoys me ! Except if they’ve acquired rare wines. But yeah it puts me off buying wine at a restaurant TBH. I’d rather source good wine direct at a good price, I.e. wendouree

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Ian S wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:52 am Much as I might argue I very much don't like McLaren Vale, I remain a fan of Primo Estate. My favourite Sparkling red and a superb Aussie amarone (moda). I'd love to try their other bottlings using grapes that originated in Italy. I reckon I'd enjoy most of them.

Their Nebbiolo a few years back was overworked and without the concentration and fruit stuffing to handle the oak. Terrible! And expensive.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:52 am
Ian S wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:52 am Much as I might argue I very much don't like McLaren Vale, I remain a fan of Primo Estate. My favourite Sparkling red and a superb Aussie amarone (moda). I'd love to try their other bottlings using grapes that originated in Italy. I reckon I'd enjoy most of them.

Their Nebbiolo a few years back was overworked and without the concentration and fruit stuffing to handle the oak. Terrible! And expensive.
Ouch, but at least we know where to get very satisfying nebbiolo :)