The Aussie Fortified Thread…

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Con J

The Aussie Fortified Thread…

Post by Con J »

Not sure how many out there drink these but I love old Aussie Fortified and I would love to hear about what anyone drinks, the good and bad.

I’ll start with what I had tonight.

1963 Killawarra Tawny Port.

On the label it said this was from Hope Valley in Adelaide.

Not your normal Tawny nose, this had Raisins, plums and a bit of caramel, sweet and luscious on the palate and a walnut finish.
The walnut finish usually tells me thats it's a Tawny.

Cheers Con.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rossco

Re: The Aussie Fortified Thread…

Post by Rossco »

Best fortified I have had so far was a 1970 All Saints VP... pretty sure you have heard of it Con :D

Stunning example of how good aged fortified can really be. Coffee, Chocolate and shoe Polish….. but it’s the over powering taste of that Butterscotch Cream that hits you. Like a Werthers original but in liquid form. Creamy, buttery and caramel all swishes around your mouth.

Recently had a 1997 Stanton & Killeen Vintage Port as well... which you may also be familiar with

Aniseed, Cool mint and again some initial chlorine characters. Almond and Marzipan spirit. That spirit is not integrated though and really sits on top of those wonderful, very high quality fruits. It takes a lot to push through the spirit here, but when you do, those stunning fruits really sing and shine. This is a masterpiece of very well handled fruit. Blueberries, blackcurrants and very complex use of spice. liquorice, cinnamon, cloves, and chocolate….stunning wine.

Another very memorable one was a Seppelt Para Liqueur Vintage Tawny Port 1939 - not my notes, but:
Released in the early 1950's, 1939 refers to the oldest component of the blend. Classic khaki colour. Rich, smooth and complex. Rancio characters typical of their style. Very long finish. Superb.

I really enjoy finishing off a wonderful dinner with a old Fortified (or a desert wine) and cheese.

paulf

Post by paulf »

I'll play....
I am close to the end of a bottle of Andrew Buller Wines Cannobie Topaque which has been quite lovely.
A little lighter in style than most Topaques. Caramel on the nose with a hint of rose water and a touch of marzipan. It is sweet, fresh and floral - honey and lemon, rose again and something that distinctly reminds me of musk sticks. Quite an elegant Topaque.
Lovely packaging on this wine too.

I was in Rutherglen in August and as a result I am quite well stocked with fortifieds. Andrew Buller also has an extremely well priced 30 year old tawny that I have already consumed one bottle of in recent months.
Another highlight for the year was a 1978 Para that I pulled out for a friend's 40th.

I have a few of the 97 Stanton and Killeen vintage fortifieds mentioned above so it might be time to crack one of those. The 1992 Vintage is probably my favorite local Vintage Port style fortified I've had.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Also playing along .....

I haven't had any Australian Vintage Fortified recently but I should mention the best one I've had over the years, the 1987 Sevenhill VP that I bought at cellar door in 2001. It was on tasting and I was told that it was their penultimate bottling because fashion had changed and they couldn't justify making it any longer. This port really intrigued me and I couldn't get it off my mind so when we were driving out of the Clare I insisted we go to Sevenhill and pick up a bottle. When I got there I wanted another taste and found they were sampling the 1988 vintage. When I asked what happened to the 1987 they pointed me to a wooden bin in the corner where the remaining bottles of the 1987 vintage were mixed in with other odd dorts and tagged at $10 a bottle. I walked out to the car with a half dozen.

Years later, when it was about 20 years old, I served it blind to my port expert/buddy. He correctly guessed vintage port, thought there was some age on it but still youthful and firm, and then started to work on the port house, whether English or Portuguese. You should have seen the look of surprise when I told him it was a new world port. Best young and mid-aged Australian port ever.

This has got me thinking, the Sevenhill is now 30 years old and should be re-visited.

Cheers ............ Mahmoud.

paulf

Post by paulf »

Mahmoud Ali wrote: It was on tasting and I was told that it was their penultimate bottling because fashion had changed and they couldn't justify making it any longer.
Cheers ............ Mahmoud.
Sadly, this is a very common story these days. So many that used to make them no longer do

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

When I was in Adelaide 22 months ago, included a visit to Dutschke. I’ll like all their wines, especially the fortifieds. Regretfully, non available in UK, currently.

Con J

Post by Con J »

Yes the 1970 All Saints VP was fabulous, still got 3 left in the cellar.

I’ve had the 1997 S&K VP twice in the last 6 months, both occasions it was great but there’s no hurry to drink them. Don’t have any 1997 but have a few older ones.

Cheers Con.

Con J

Post by Con J »

Last Friday I opened a NV All Saints Reserve Liqueur Muscat, This was made by Andrew Sutherland Smith and released in the 1980's. The label said it was a blend of some old material.

This was pretty straight forward sweet raisin, plummy, not a bad way to finish a night,

Cheers Con
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Con J wrote:Yes the 1970 All Saints VP was fabulous, still got 3 left in the cellar.

I’ve had the 1997 S&K VP twice in the last 6 months, both occasions it was great but there’s no hurry to drink them. Don’t have any 1997 but have a few older ones.

Cheers Con.
I got to know Chris K. very well, sharing some special VP's and cigars over the years. Late one evening, when discussing the S & K VP styles over the years, he said that the '97 was the wine he was proudest of. It was served at his funeral and I certainly didn't need to be asked if I'd like a second - or third - glass!
If you have a few bottles, open one and invite some close wine friends over, decant, breath for an hour and enjoy. Than start your BBQ. You will at least have tried it in its relative youth, because it will last for many years.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Wish I had some Stanton & Killeen vintage port, quite liked what I tasted at cellar door back in 2001 but already had a half dozen of Sevenhill in my trunk as well as a host of other gems.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I have a couple of dozen VPs in the cellar, and rarely reach for one. I have, however, been getting into liqueur muscats and similar white grape-based fortifieds, especially from the Swan Valley. Faber, Talijancich and Lamonts have been the "go to" wineries here. I've also had a couple of Howard Park muscats (although not Swan Valley).
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

we had a magnum of 1951 Orlando Tawny Port at the end of our Christmas lunch a few weekends ago. I got to try it around mid-night, so no detailed notes other than I remember it being utterly spectacular. Easily amongst the best Aussie fortifieds I have seen. From memory, the magnum disappeared very quickly.
I believe it was an auction purchase for not much, so there is a win!!

Con J

Post by Con J »

felixp21 wrote:we had a magnum of 1951 Orlando Tawny Port at the end of our Christmas lunch a few weekends ago. I got to try it around mid-night, so no detailed notes other than I remember it being utterly spectacular. Easily amongst the best Aussie fortifieds I have seen. From memory, the magnum disappeared very quickly.
I believe it was an auction purchase for not much, so there is a win!!
I've had some wonderful old Orlando Tawny's and Muscat's, last one being a 1957 that Malcolm put on about 6 months ago.
Got a 1955 Tawny and an old Muscat (1947 Base) standing up in the wine fridge to opened in the near future.
Waiters Friend wrote:I have a couple of dozen VPs in the cellar, and rarely reach for one. I have, however, been getting into liqueur muscats and similar white grape-based fortifieds, especially from the Swan Valley. Faber, Talijancich and Lamonts have been the "go to" wineries here. I've also had a couple of Howard Park muscats (although not Swan Valley).
Thanks, haven't heard of these and I don't see much from up there.

Cheers Con.

Con J

Post by Con J »

Finished off a dinner last night with a 1952 Saltram Pinnacle Selection Old Liqueur Muscat, again I think this would have been released in the 1980’s.

The night before I gave it a decant and the bottle was washed which had a film of sediment stuck to the whole bottle and took a few goes to wash it out, then poured the wine back in and put it in the wine fridge ready for the next day. I've doing this to all my Fortified's for the last 5 or 6 months.

The colour was a bright clear Khaki, yellow golden brown with a tinge of green.

This just kept on changing, it had a fair bit of rancio so most went for Tawny, coffee, toffee, caramel, raisins, spice, cinnamon and more, the length just kept going and going.

I think this is my Fortified of the year.

Cheers Con.

Con J

Post by Con J »

My first fortified for the year.

MV McWilliams Hanwood Tawny

This is a blend of three vintages 1956, 1962 and 1964 made from Shiraz grapes.

Coffee, walnuts with a fair bit of rancio and still sweet on the palate.
In great condition and a good buy at about $30.

Cheers Con.

Con J

Post by Con J »

1965 Campbell’s Vintage Port.

Made from Cabernet and Shiraz grapes with brandy spirit.

A quick double decant to remove the sediment the night before and put back in the wine fridge.

Looked mature with some bricking, rich with sweet dark berries and some milk chocolate on the nose, very enjoyable.

Sorry I can't get these photo's right.

Cheers Con.

scribbler

Post by scribbler »

1965 Campbell’s Vintage Port.

Made from Cabernet and Shiraz grapes with brandy spirit.

A quick double decant to remove the sediment the night before and put back in the wine fridge.

Looked mature with some bricking, rich with sweet dark berries and some milk chocolate on the nose, very enjoyable.
Bricky and some ambers, green olive, mint and milk chocolate.Overt brandy spirit, and very sweet even for Oz versions. But how often do we taste >50 yo wines ?

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

50th Birthday party so a 1969 Chateau Yaldara Rich Old Port

Really good nick. Toffee and caramel - serious viscosity. Lovely. Not as long as I would have thought. Probably should have tried one of the 1969 Yalumbas, but the screwcap on the Yaldara gave me more confidence.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Con J

Post by Con J »

Michael McNally wrote:50th Birthday party so a 1969 Chateau Yaldara Rich Old Port

Really good nick. Toffee and caramel - serious viscosity. Lovely. Not as long as I would have thought. Probably should have tried one of the 1969 Yalumbas, but the screwcap on the Yaldara gave me more confidence.
Thanks for your report Michael.

Nice way to celebrate a 50th.

Had one of these in Jan 2017 and the only note I could find was rich fruitcake style with a bit of VA but drink well.

Cheers Con.

Dang

Post by Dang »

Strange stuff you could find in this neck of the woods. I wandered into a wine store recently and came across with five 500 ml Lou Miranda 50 yo Rare Muscat. The second surprise was the price: $10 a piece! I did query (honesty?) but the clerk checked with the boss and told me that was the clearance price (The wine store was acquired from an out of business merchant). Needless to say, I took the lot and shared three bottles with family and friends. Glory be, all kinds of dried fruits, figs and spices, caramel plus for good measure some Canadian maple syrup. And the ultra long finish. I told my friends that their taste buds would be compromised for a while! Only two left for special occasions.
Cheers ...

Con J

Post by Con J »

1975 Campbell’s Braeburne Vintage Port (H23).

Made from 75% Shiraz from the Braeburne Vineyard Rutherglen and 25% Cabernet from the Murray Valley Victoria with grape spirit, which I assume is brandy spirit.

Still very dark red, very ripe sweet black berries, very ripe plums, licorice, some tar.
Good bottles should keep for a long time, great buy for $20.

I love the hand written note on the back.

Cheers Con.

paulf

Post by paulf »

1997 Stanton & Killeen Vintage Port
According to some notes the winery gave me a long time ago this had Shiraz, Touriga, Tinta Barroca, Tinto Cao and Durif.
This was the re-introduction of the Portuguese varieties back into the this wine after a 3 year hiatus following the very successful 1992 and 1993 Vintages.
I gave this about 4 hours in the decanter before trying it the first time and it, unsurprisingly, wasn't much fun. There was a little capsicum on the nose with white pepper cinnamon, cardamon and black tea. The black tea showed on the palate as well with plenty of sweet spices, and perhaps a little raisin with a sweet finish. All up a little one dimensional.
The Next day was a different story. The nose was earthier -spices like cassia along with stewed blood plum. It was much more integrated on the palate, with blueberry jam being prominent and some tannic structure had emerged. Along with the tannin, there was a fairly strong acid backbone that was just a little short of being too much.
Day 3 was the best yet. There spices were a little sharper on the nose - The white pepper from day one had returned but the cassia from day to was still noticeable. Tasting it, I got hints of raspberry licorice, along with blueberry and cinnamon. The tannins were fine and the acidity felt more settled.

This my first time trying the 97, and while I don't think it is quite as good as the 92, it is one of the better S&K vintage fortified that I have tried. Sweetness would make it stand out against proper Portuguese vintage port, but the overall quality is excellent.
Based on this bottle, there is absolutely no hurry to drink these up.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

posted on the what are you drinking thread, but this was so good, it deserved to be here as well.

1986 McWilliams Mount Pleasant Vintage Port (Hunter Valley)
Equal wine of the night for me. This was truly fantastic and such a revelation. Who knew Hunter Valley could
produce a fortified of this quality and caliber. Mix of Shriaz & Cabernet although not sure of %. It was the freshness
that really appealed here. I picked it as a cooler climate VP. I thought maybe Clare or Eden Valley. Bright red colour,
defies its age. Spirit was perfectly judged. Wasnt intrusive, hot or harsh, just complemented the wine. Crystal clear with no sign of blurring
or browning. So Clean, so fresh. Coffee, Toffee and red currents.
Raspberry, perfect balance, red rope licorice, spicy green peppercorn with some sea spray and salty mineral oyster
shell.

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

I drank the last of my bottles of Peter Lehmann's The King Vintage Port 1996. I remember buying these as a special direct for $12 a bottle. The wine is still stunning with intense fruit, crushed ants, finishing very long. No hurry to drink.

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Alex F wrote:I drank the last of my bottles of Peter Lehmann's The King Vintage Port 1996. I remember buying these as a special direct for $12 a bottle. The wine is still stunning with intense fruit, crushed ants, finishing very long. No hurry to drink.
Crushed ants? :D

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

Dragzworthy wrote:
Alex F wrote:I drank the last of my bottles of Peter Lehmann's The King Vintage Port 1996. I remember buying these as a special direct for $12 a bottle. The wine is still stunning with intense fruit, crushed ants, finishing very long. No hurry to drink.
I must not have decanted it properly.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Dragzworthy wrote:
I think thats what was said to describe the first Grange presented to the directors of Penfold's before they forbade Max Schubert from making any more.

Thanks for the note by way, I have a couple of bottles of the 1996 King stashed away.

Cheers …………………… Mahmoud.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
Dragzworthy wrote:
I think thats what was said to describe the first Grange presented to the directors of Penfold's before they forbade Max Schubert from making any more.
One of the lesser known acids responsible for VA is formic acid. Many species of ants contain formic acid. I think that's where the term crushed ants as a wine descriptor originated from. It's more about the smell than anything else.

Redav

Post by Redav »

I picked up a bottle of the 2000 a few years ago to see what Aussie VP might be about (it's the oldest of three VP's I have being Rockford VP Shiraz and Kalleske JMK Shiraz VP). I had murdered a 2008 Rockford SVP a few years ago, too young even to call it vinfantcide :lol: and had since read that VP's need 20 years minimum so resolved to open the Lehmann next year. Any thoughts on whether that's okay or whether I should really give it more time?

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Redav wrote:I picked up a bottle of the 2000 a few years ago to see what Aussie VP might be about (it's the oldest of three VP's I have being Rockford VP Shiraz and Kalleske JMK Shiraz VP). I had murdered a 2008 Rockford SVP a few years ago, too young even to call it vinfantcide :lol: and had since read that VP's need 20 years minimum so resolved to open the Lehmann next year. Any thoughts on whether that's okay or whether I should really give it more time?
It depends on how old you like your VPs. I'd still consider a 20 year old very young. I get to try many VPs from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s at some of the wine groups I belong to. They're all the better for the many decades of storage. Had a handful from the 1930s and 1940s too. Aussie VPs can and do go the distance.