TN: 2015 G.D. Vajra Barbera d'Alba

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Ozzie W

TN: 2015 G.D. Vajra Barbera d'Alba

Post by Ozzie W »

2015 G.D. Vajra Barbera d'Alba

[url=https://postimg.cc/image/m8odinvhz/][img]https://s15.postimg.cc/m8odinvhz/IMG_20180814_183340.jpg[/img][/url]

14% ABV

Ripe strawberry, maraschino cherry, plum, earth. A little less acidity than your typical Barberra. A mix of velvety and chalky tannins. Long and light finish with strands of campari. A very well made and delicious Barbera with everything in harmony.

JamieBahrain

Re: TN: 2015 G.D. Vajra Barbera d'Alba

Post by JamieBahrain »

Nice one Ozzie. We need a barbera thread. I drink a few bottles a week. Is there more delightful quaffing and understated quaffing?
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

JamieBahrain wrote:Nice one Ozzie. We need a barbera thread. I drink a few bottles a week. Is there more delightful quaffing and understated quaffing?
Agreed. Barbera underrated as a varietal. Good ones tick all the boxes for me. This Vajra possibly the best one I've had the pleasure of drinking. It was even better on day #2. I went and purchased 2 bottles to cellar, not something I've done before with Barbera. I reckon it'll be a cracker with 2-3 more years of age on it.

asajoseph

Post by asajoseph »

Co-signed on this, I've really been enjoying Barberas recently, as a good value alternative imported wine. I've had a few really great ones recently from Bricco Maiolica, Cascina Fontana, Baldi Pierfranco and Prunotto (Aussie interpretations have left a lot to be desired, but I've not tasted that many).

I tried the Vajra in the 2014 vintage at the winery last October, and thought it actually came across as a wine that might need a few more years to open up - something built for mid-term aging. I'm a big fan of this producer in general.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

asajoseph wrote:Co-signed on this, I've really been enjoying Barberas recently, as a good value alternative imported wine. I've had a few really great ones recently from Bricco Maiolica, Cascina Fontana, Baldi Pierfranco and Prunotto (Aussie interpretations have left a lot to be desired, but I've not tasted that many).

I tried the Vajra in the 2014 vintage at the winery last October, and thought it actually came across as a wine that might need a few more years to open up - something built for mid-term aging. I'm a big fan of this producer in general.
I've not tried Bricco Maiolica, Cascina Fontana, or Baldi Pierfranco before. I'll keep an eye out of them. Prunotto is a producer I tend to avoid due to a few "less than stellar" experiences with their Barolo.

asajoseph

Post by asajoseph »

I think the Prunotto is fairly widely available - for $35ish, surely worth a shot :)

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

I used to struggle with Barbera, then got into the beefy modern wines (Braida etc.) after being disillusioned with a few too many insipid / raw edged unoaked cheaper Barbera wines.

Now more of a wider fan, having discovered some who use the oak more gently. Current favourite is Boasso (Gabutti), which for c. 10 euro at the winery was a real eye-opener for us. We hadn't expected to like it, but instead loved it. Almost impossible to find, despite not being a name / sought after producer. I don't think he makes a huge amount based on the size of the cantina.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I love barberas, in fact I've almost never had one I haven't liked, from the inexpensive, light-bodied, bitter cherry ones to the rich, full-bodied, oaked barbera. There is one for every occasion and you get what you pay for. The lighter ones are to drink without much thougth while the richer examples can be cellared. For an Australian take do not miss an opportunity to try a barbera from Margan in the Hunter Valley. The 2005 was lovely. In fact they once won an award, in Italy, for the best barbera made outside Italy, and to emphasize the point they had not submitted a sample.