TN: Hoddles Creek Chardonnay 2013

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Hoddles Creek Chardonnay 2013

Post by Waiters Friend »

Pale yellow in colour. The nose is offering some ripe yellow peaches, a touch of grapefruit, a hint of flint and the barest mention of oak. The oak is more apparent on the palate in the form of modest tannins, supporting strong acid and fruit dominant across the tongue. It's moderately refreshing and only starting to gain any complexity.

You may have got the impression that I opened this 5 years too early. You might be right.
Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Waiters Friend

Re: TN: Hoddles Creek Chardonnay 2013

Post by Waiters Friend »

An update from a couple of years ago.

The wine has darkened slightly, but is still just bordering on medium yellow. The peaches are still present, but the grapefruit has softened (or developed) and there's a more savoury element to the palate particularly. The wine is gaining complexity, and is probably at a balancing point between primary fruit and secondary characters.

Happy to have opened this now, and, after trying the 2010 earlier this year, I think this is following its usual slow and gradual evolution. Good to drink now, but no rush to empty your stocks.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Willard

Re: TN: Hoddles Creek Chardonnay 2013

Post by Willard »

Thanks Allan. I often find the estate Chardonnay needs a bit of time for my tastes, even more than the Pinot.

I’ve got a ‘15 I might open this week sometime.

Cheers
Will
wills.wines