2015 Tenuta Migliavacca Grignolino del Monferrato Casalese

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Ian S

2015 Tenuta Migliavacca Grignolino del Monferrato Casalese

Post by Ian S »

Bought on a grocery shopping trip to Torino just over a year ago. A trip in which I resisted buying more Barolo/Barbaresco, in favour of continuing my exploration of the other wines of Piemonte. Leaving fairly priced Bartolo Mascarello Barolo on the shelves was a bit of a shame. This one very much rewarded the adventure though.
  • 2015 Tenuta Migliavacca Grignolino del Monferrato Casalese - Italy, Piedmont, Monferrato, Grignolino del Monferrato Casalese (27/05/2018) Triple A sticker on it, denoting not just organic, but also more of a Slow Food type commitment to artisanal status and a sense of place. It is a 2015 - the picture is the one in CT (of the 2016 wine)

Very strikingly pale in colour, though it looks more like a watered down nebbiolo than a rosé. The pale red core giving way to a pale rim showing a touch of browning.
    Light, bright red fruits and herbs with a little woodiness on the nose. Appealing with moderate complexity.
    It really shines on the palate though, light-bodied - lighter than the 13% suggests, with bright (but not aggressive) acidity carrying wonderfully bright, fresh and remarkably persistent cherry/strawberry fruit. It went brilliantly with a Venison burger and salad, but I suspect it would be great with a range of foods, and as an aperitif on a summer’s day. There are some fine grained residual tannins giving a very faint bitter grip on the finish.

Very enjoyable to drink now, though I reckon it could surprise in the cellar.

I need to get some more when next in Torino.
    [img]https://cdn.ct-static.com/labels/1102993.jpg[/img]

winetastic

Re: 2015 Tenuta Migliavacca Grignolino del Monferrato Casalese

Post by winetastic »

I had a bottle of this at a wine bar in Bologna last year, blew my mind and was very affordable from memory.

Ian S

Re: 2015 Tenuta Migliavacca Grignolino del Monferrato Casalese

Post by Ian S »

Indeed - I can't recall the price, but wine-searcher suggests ~ EUR 12 A wonderful wine for that money, and fuelling my desire to have a better balance between the 'big and prestige' vs. 'lighter, refreshing and occasionally rustic', the former all to easy to focus on.