TN: Seppelts St Peters Grampians Shiraz 2010

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Seppelts St Peters Grampians Shiraz 2010

Post by Waiters Friend »

I first came across this wine at an offline in Melbourne earlier this decade. I think it was the 1999 which pipped the 1997 for wine of the night. Regardless, my interest was definitely piqued, and I have accumulated several vintages from 2001-2014 since then. Occasionally, I open one.

This was my first taste of the 2010 and it's tasted over two nights. Decanted for 4 hours before initial service and the remainder left in a decanter until tonight.

Deep purple black in colour. Rich and full nose with blueberries, blackberries, dark plums, leather polish, dark chocolate, coffee grounds, and savoury oak. The palate has considerable tannic grip, good acidity, and floods of sweet dark fruit over the front of the tongue and mid-palate. There's more mocha as well, and the finish is very dry and very long.

As you may have gathered, there's a lot going on in this wine. It has softened only slightly with the extra 20 hours breathing, and would live in the decanter for another couple of days easily - except I am going to drink it first!

I would suggest it's too young at the moment. I've had excellent 20 years old bottles of this wine and reckon I should leave the remaining 2010s I have for another 5 years at least. Great wine.

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

dave vino

Re: TN: Seppelts St Peters Grampians Shiraz 2010

Post by dave vino »

Over $100 a bottle nowadays? Still worth it? or just hit the secondary market?

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

dave vino wrote:Over $100 a bottle nowadays? Still worth it? or just hit the secondary market?
Is that the 2016 vintage? That's quite a jump in price from my last purchase which was the 2013 vintage at under $60.

rooman

Post by rooman »

I tried the 2003 out of the cellar recently and it was still pretty primary. At $100 however I wouldn't be buying any more. I would rather put the cash into Castagna or Clonakilla for shiraz.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I thought RRP was $80, and I've seen it cheaper. I've not seen it at $100.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Oh ok, must have my wires crossed with something else. :oops:

marsalla

Post by marsalla »

I drove past the St Peters block yesterday. No fruit from this year due to frost, but it wont make any difference to me. The Seppelts site is a ghost town. One of a handful of truly significant wine sites in Australia, all that heritage, those wonderful wines, now the fruit is shipped to Nuriootpa. They cannot even justify a full time vineyard manager. I wont be buying a Seppelts wine until someone other than TWE owns them. I will leave all the 'Mastige' wines that Treasury make for others as well.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

marsalla wrote:I drove past the St Peters block yesterday. No fruit from this year due to frost, but it wont make any difference to me. The Seppelts site is a ghost town. One of a handful of truly significant wine sites in Australia, all that heritage, those wonderful wines, now the fruit is shipped to Nuriootpa. They cannot even justify a full time vineyard manager. I wont be buying a Seppelts wine until someone other than TWE owns them. I will leave all the 'Mastige' wines that Treasury make for others as well.
Yes, I have come to this conclusion as well. I have 30 bottles in the cellar of Drumborg Riesling Charonnay and Pinot, sparkling shiraz and a few St Peters - this one, the 2007 and 2006.

NV Original Sparkling? A disgrace.

Ironically, I bought one of the 2007 Show Reserves for my birthday this year.

No more Seppelts for me - vandals. Too many better options out there.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Michael McNally wrote:NV Original Sparkling? A disgrace.
I tried the NV sparkling earlier in the year. It was a step down in quality from its predecessors. Such a shame. A great icon has lost its soul!

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Ozzie W wrote:
Michael McNally wrote:NV Original Sparkling? A disgrace.
I tried the NV sparkling earlier in the year. It was a step down in quality from its predecessors. Such a shame. A great icon has lost its soul!
Agreed regarding the NV Sparkling Shiraz. After nearly 20 years of buying the vintage model, it's fallen off my "my buy" list.

Having said that, I'd still support the Drumborg Riesling and the St Peters.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Did anyone try the "last" vintage Seppelt's Orginal Sparkling, the 2015, that was still on the shelves a few months ago. I bought a bottle of but forgot to drink it and has sadly been left behind.

Barney

Post by Barney »

Waiters Friend wrote:I thought RRP was $80, and I've seen it cheaper. I've not seen it at $100.
Yep, was around $70.00 pb by the six pack at majors and can still get for around that at the cellar door in a six pack.

Is a bit like the 389 for me, used to buy both religiously but gave them both away when they approached the $60.00 mark.

Was there a few months ago, was always a nice tranquil kind of place however now too much so...was almost eerily quiet.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Barney wrote:
Waiters Friend wrote:I thought RRP was $80, and I've seen it cheaper. I've not seen it at $100.
Yep, was around $70.00 pb by the six pack at majors and can still get for around that at the cellar door in a six pack.

Is a bit like the 389 for me, used to buy both religiously but gave them both away when they approached the $60.00 mark.

Was there a few months ago, was always a nice tranquil kind of place however now too much so...was almost eerily quiet.
Barney agreed, Have been fortunate to pick up the 12, 13, 14 for around the $45-50 mark with various discounts access to TWE etc. Comparable BV Shiraz is much more expensive.
I agree with the absolute sheer neglect and poor decision making on a number of iconic labels, but whilst Salinger ( had a bottle of the 12 yesterday...lovely) Drumborg Riesling, Chalambar and St Peters are going, I will continue to purchase.
By the way , is all of Seppelts Great Western/Grampians and Drumborg fruit processed at Nuri now?

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

phillisc wrote:By the way , is all of Seppelts Great Western/Grampians and Drumborg fruit processed at Nuri now?
All fruit shipped to Nuriootpa. TWE process nothing in Great Western any more.