Mornington/Yarra Trip - Day 2 Yarra Valley

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
pc79

Mornington/Yarra Trip - Day 2 Yarra Valley

Post by pc79 »

Day 2 saw us up early doors, the two chefs back on the griddle. This time, we had to knock off the remainder of the kg of bacon that was bought the day prior, more rich Mornington scrambled eggs with smoked trout and smoked eel, and then bacon, bacon oil fried bread and some fresh OJ. Just about knocked the hangover over.
On the road we went for the hr long trip up the M3 to the Yarra.

First stop Seville Estate where we met with a couple of Melbourne wine loving fellas Kamal and Tim and handed over $20 each for the tasting.
2014 Blanc de Blanc - grapefruit, lemon, some biscotti/brioche, dense bubbles nice acid flow and travel through 91
2016 Chardonnay - grapefruit and lemon rind, almond, some sharp acidity. Focus and quite lean and austere. Time? 90
2015 Reserve Chardonnay - white nectarine, white flowers and crushed quartz. A line of acidity that rips through like a dart 93
2014 Riesling - lemon white flowers, light kero, but more minerally and floral, lean and focused, loses a little at the back 91
2016 Pinot - black cherry, some spicy leafy business. Dark forest and a mulch goodness that carries 90
2016 Reserve Pinot - deeper darker, more savoury, flecks of vanille. Has a lighter frame and mouthfeel but the stems and stalks carry it on and on. Savoury, needs years 92
2015 Shiraz - black plum, black cherry, earthen spice and black pepper. Good gear 91
2015 Reserve Shiraz - intensely flavoured. Dark plum, black cherry, black pepper, light mint. Saliva inducing tannin. BalanceBelter 93
2012 Dr Shiraz - peanut brittle, lifted stem, red cherry and some (dumpling) plum, has light fruit concentration, but remarkably lightly coloured. Savoury and lean. Balance. A bit meh 91
2015 Cabernet - Sweet black currant, light flecks of dried herbs, strong and slightly underripe pip tannin, grabs you by the nuts. Pretty good. 91

The cellar door got pretty busy with a couple of tours entering as we were going through the flight which meant the cd manager racing around a bit and not giving us too much attention, we were left to fend a little for ourselves which was no issue. Lovely outlook and a good cellar door. Decent wines too.

In to the cars and off we went to Thousand Candles. Yep, that one. The one that entered the market all guns blazing with a shit hot team, a marketing spiel as long as your arm and a wine from a terribly wet, cold and difficult vintage. 2011, the first wine off the rank costing a mere $100 a throw, just because. Followed by big, chest beating noise. But, as many are aware it quickly turned in to a shit show and ... we all know what happened from there. The vinomofo debacle, staff departures and a sour taste left in the mouths of consumers. The tall poppy had been cut.
Back to ground zero where a slightly different direction ensued. A direction overseen by viticulturalist Stuart Proud. Stu carries the burden of the previous false start on his sleeve. Humble, honest and with great integrity. A bloke, who spent two hours talking through the mistakes made in the past, and how he plans to take thousand Candles in the direction it was always intended to go. The ethos remains the same, the dedication to the vineyard remains the same but there are no bells and whistles. Just honest and unbelievable wines that speak of a place, the Thousand Candles place.
The vineyard 'where all the magic happens' is overseen by the entire 1000C staff, three viticulturalists. This is where the toil will invariably be rewarded by the fruit that is picked from the vines. 'Making the wine is the easy bit' says Stu. There is no winemaker. Stu does that himself. And the marketing. Almost a one man show.
As we stood on the hill overlooking the vines, his dog Albie running around in circles chasing flies, you could sense the winds of change were in the air.
2017 Gathering Field Sauvignon Blanc - Nashi pear, some tropical fruit, bruised apple, beaut ripeness, light salinity, hits a line between sweet and savoury. Needs to be cool. bloody good and interesting 92
2017 gf Rose - 50 Pinot 50 Syrah - Starts sweet with raspberry and cherry lolly, but then flips to a textured savoury gentle pink fruited thing with a very light cheesyness. light and long beast. Really lovely 91
2017 gf nouveau Shiraz - black plums, black cherry, blood orange, comes in savoury and savoury. A long fun finish 90
2016 gath field Pinot - red cherry fruit, lightly cranberry, stalks but not obtrusive, got some earth and spice and ripe tannin that has a seriousness to it that makes you stand up 93
2017 gathering field Pinot - gently more sweet, almost Rose'ish with black jubes and dark cherry, got some serious tannin that coats the front of the mouth 92 not pinosity as you know it, but a baby. Not released yet 93
2017 Estate Pinot - whew, wine. What a beaut! Black cherry, got an undertone of leather, cherry spice, a little charry oak, silk ribbons of black cherry choc flow seamlessly over the tongue. Balance impeccable . Long and amazing wine 96
2017 field blend - blackberry, plumand back cherry, dark earth and a long grip of tannin. Long Finish. Beautiful stuff. 94
2017 Merlot can Sauvignon Cab Franc - sticky tannin, grip and rip. blackberry fruit some light Violet lift. Spicy cherry earth, lovely wine 93
2017 Syrah - blackberry and cherry, some blue fruits and dark chocolate. Light tar and charcoal, white pepper spice. Great structure. Beautiful 95
2015 Cabernet Sauvignon - blue and black fruit, dark olive, and a flash of violet, got some herbal and dusty, grippy tannin. Front palate. Vines young 92

What an amazing tasting, sat in the house on a big long table. Great and lively discussion, some interesting thoughts on viticulture (He's definitely in the follow the moon camp) and I can safely say, if this is what following the lunar calendar does to produce grapes for wines as good as these, then I'm sold. **wines not released until later in the year** when they are, back up the truck!

After the highlight that was 1000C, we were off to see old mate James Halliday's place at Coldstream Hills. And ... didn't they love dropping a bit of 'James' into the chats. We were hosted by young blonde fella (name escapes me) who enthusiastically showed us through the wines with good information and not over the top like some cd staffers are

2011 BdB - almond, apricot, some bready yeasty almond croissant, lemon drive, 89
2016 Pinot Gris - white nectarine, some stemmy business, lemon and flint. Meh. Anonymous 88
2016 Chardonnay - ripe white peach, almond meal marzipan, creamy, some light smoke, but beaut balance. lovely wine 92
2016 Rising Chardonnay - white peach, white flowers, almond meal again, more linear, crushed rock, nice acid treatment 93
2016 Pinot - Black cherry, serious spice, and a bit of stalkiness and greenness. Again meh 90
2016 doctors block Pinot - bolder cherry, spice and cinnamon. Some earthen cherry and again a bit of green. Spicy 91
2016 Deer Farm Pinot - Crimson fruits, gentle cinnamon sweet spice red cherry, forest and great balance. excellent. 93
2015 Esplenade Vineyard Pinot - dark cherry spice, nice tannin structure, flecks of stems, deep and rich. Great structure 92j
2015 Merlot - blue fruit and black fruit, black olive, bitter choc,, savoury tannin lovely acid 93
2014 Reserve Shiraz - blackberry spice, dark plum, black pepper. Acid a bit pokey. Tannin grip, some dark rubber flecks, 91

A good experience here and some pretty smart gear. It's on the tour bus map, so was swamped down one end with two groups.

A quick drive down the road to the highly anticipated Yarra Yering. In to the car park we pulled, boot opened and the remaining 500g of bacon was consumed in some bacon sarnies.
2016 Semillon Chardonnay - very ungiving on the nose. Some grass, herbal business and some drying finish. 91
2016 Chardonnay - cream and gentle nectarine, struck match biscott, lemon and ginger. Some flinty love. Balance and power. Finesse cracker 94
2016 Pinot Noir - cherry and strawberry flecks, lovely line of cinnamon flows on a splash of squeezed citrus acidity. 93
2017 Light Dry red 50/50 Pinot/Shiraz - wow. Cherry, blackberry spice, red licorice strap, crunchy red fruits and a splash of white pepper. Silty tannin, moutfilling and loooong. Balance, control. 94
2016 Dry Red 3 - black cherry and raspberried plums. Red meats and savoury spice. Excellent slick mouthfeel. Raspberry lipstick. Beaut 93
2015 Underhill Shiraz - black fruit, iodine, red cherry, lifted red flowers, white pepper and tannin grip phwew blocky tannin 92
------------------------------------------ this is where things turn south ----------------------------------
2011 Underhill Shiraz - oxidised and green. Black fruit, meaty, some sweet sweaty caramel plums . Stems and stalks, but seems like they're trying to flog it at cd to get rid of it. Underhill is over the hill. A big NO 87.
After exclaiming 'this is shit' before the cellar girl had finished pouring to the rest of he group I think she elected to be subbed out and a more experienced cd staffer was subbed in.
2015 Dry Red 2 - black plum, dark spicy cedary oak, pepper and spice, cranberry, balance and again power. Long finish!! 92
2009 Dry Red 2 - black plum, black fruit, spicebox, mint, caramel cream, long and grippy. Settling in to itself well 90
2015 Agincourt Cab Merlot - blackberry, cassis, vanilla, cranberry and sweet cinnamon spice, menthol lift, got a nice roundness and acid treatment. Beaut mouthfeel. Very food 93
2015 Dry Red no 1 - black plum, and dark cherry spice. Lovely fruit, with some musk, boom. Wonderful tannin structure. Brilliant 95
2011 Dry Red no 1 - dark plum, black menthe. Beaut stem balance. Very good. actually like this 92
On to the Carrodus Range -
2011 Viognier - $160 white flower, milk bottles, sweet. Dusty, not cloying, not anything really. Fruit gone? Stripped. Good acid flow underneath. But corked 89
2013 Carrodus Range Pinot - $250 shit. Oxidised. No
2011 Shiraz - having a laugh $250. No. Light cherry, some red fruits, tomato leaf, stalks, not great balance with a bit of green herbs at the end. 90
2012 Merlot - $250 underwhelming. Blackberry, mint, cassis, spicy tannin. Tannin tannin, 90
2011 Cab Merlot $250 are we done yet? 91
2008 Potsorts - porty , hot, decent. Needs a dark chocolate mousse. 90

Sooooo... Yarra Yering. I can confirm the 2015s are pretty bloody great wines. As for the rest of it.. five 2011s, 3 oxidised/flat/faulty and one corked. That is half the list being sub par. I've got no issues having a faulty wine at CD, but when the staff are dismissive 'it wasn't like that this morning' or 'I don't think there's anything wrong with it' or 'it was just the vintage', basically making excuses for clearly screwed wines was enough for all of us. On exiting we paid the 20 shekels and they had just opened a new 2011 Underhill that showed quite nicely, red flowers and bright fruits. We all said pretty much in unison, 'this is a different wine'. Too little too late I'm afraid. I'm not sure if they're trying to shift stock to uneducated punters that they can't sell on the market and recoup something for them, or what the deal is, but YY gets a big NO from me. Why wouldn't they want to show the best examples of the wines they have at their optimum, rather than this vintage affected garbage?
What made it worse was that Havign spent almost 2 hrs searching for a diamond, we missed the chance to get to Pimpernel.

Huhhh.. breathe.

Checking in to the luxurious family room at the local Healesville Motel we cleaned ourselves up, refreshed the sour taste in our mouths with more 1000C glory - left over bottles from the tasting.

Took a ride in to town and hit up the Healesville Hotel. Centre of town. Beautiful old building with a hatted restaurant inside. A quick beer to cleanse the palate and then hit some food. The highlight being the best chicken and chips I've ever had. A red gum cooked chicke with lime, chilli and peanut wombok slaw, chilli ginger and sesame chips. Brilliant! And accompanied by
739 Jacquesson Extra Brut - wow, brioche, dried nectarine and beaut lines of balanced lemon that has a smash of lightly crushed milky oat. Linear acidity with a truly fine tongue massaging bead. A blow off aldehyde early that blows off on second sniff. Delicate and powerful. Belter 94
2016 Dr Mayer Remstal Riesling - a whip of white jellybean sweetness that flows over white flowers, nectarine, lemon and mineral salinity. Residual sweetness that holds. Needs a little better acid work.91
2016 Stuart Proud Pinot Noir - after seeing him at 1000C this is his own wine. Smashing vino. Red cherry fruit, dark spice, some caramel flow. Massively good balance. Slovely slip of grippy tannin. Sharp! 93

Then.. we went to Herd and smashed up some whiskey sours, aperol spritzs, beers, and god knows what else... oh, and met a few locals.
Last edited by pc79 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

phillisc

Re: Mornington/Yarra Trip - Day 2 Yarra Valley

Post by phillisc »

Thanks PC, particularly interested on your thoughts re YY.
Received a couple of emails today re 2015 releases, actually thought they were out some time ago...yes appears to be a lot of hype. I could be tempted in getting a few.
Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

pc79

Post by pc79 »

phillisc wrote:Thanks PC, particularly interested on your thoughts re YY.
Received a couple of emails today re 2015 releases, actually thought they were out some time ago...yes appears to be a lot of hype. I could be tempted in getting a few.
Cheers
Craig
Hey Craig, the 15 YY reds are quite stunning. Actually all the 'bigger' reds from 15 throughout the Yarra were belters. Shiraz, Cabernet very very good

Krusty

Post by Krusty »

I think it is important to point out that after an email to them Yarra Yering have been very classy. A big apology and they are sending up a few bottles as recompense. Whilst it is pleasing to have our issues acknowledged, I do hope it gives them the prompt to have a look at their CD practices, anecdotally, our experience doesn't seem to be an isolated one.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

RE: The "ultra premium" range at YY - our read last year was pretty much the same, overworked or just plain faulty wines at $200+/bottle.

That being said, the "standard" range around $100ish was on point.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

It is like they are trying to do a Hoffmann vineyard style wine in the Yarra. :roll:

pc79

Post by pc79 »

Krusty wrote:I think it is important to point out that after an email to them Yarra Yering have been very classy. A big apology and they are sending up a few bottles as recompense. Whilst it is pleasing to have our issues acknowledged, I do hope it gives them the prompt to have a look at their CD practices, anecdotally, our experience doesn't seem to be an isolated one.
Yes, after getting in touch with the YY CD manager about our experience she promptly offered to send a few bottles up as an apology and they would have a look at what they were doing at cellar door.

A professional service and nice gesture.

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

YY was the only large/‘corporate ‘ CD we visited on our recent trip Down Under. The host was very friendly & helpful, with tasting conducted at a good (brisk) pace. I took sketchy TNs but they’re not to hand. I think a 2011 was served & my low expectations were fully met. The ultra premium range did not have the wow to match their prices. Some very good wines, the dry reds especially & purchased No 3 which is unobtainable at home. Yay pricing is ambitious.

And following YY insistence we visited Pimpernel & had a thoroughly enjoyable visit. Particularly liked the Chenin. I feel they’d benefit from a more focused range.

CD highlights in Yarra were Luke Lambert & Timo Mayer.

NB: Had an enjoyable dinner at Healesville Hotel.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

interesting.
some amazing hype about the 2015 releases from both Mount Mary and Yarra Yerring. I have seen the entire range of 2015's from both, and thought they were decent wines, but certainly not the spectacular "greatest ever" wines as some thought. 99 pts for the YY Bordeaux blend is rather absurd, and someone needs to tell him to move out to pasture.
I actually preferred the YY No 2 to the No 1 in 2015, but then again, I do in most vintages.
Thanks for the interesting notes, seems I need to have a second look at the Thousand Candles stuff.

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Re: YY, I’ve been to their cellar door twice now and both times left scratching my head wondering what all the fuss was about.

Diddy

Post by Diddy »

DaveS wrote:Re: YY, I’ve been to their cellar door twice now and both times left scratching my head wondering what all the fuss was about.
I've also experienced clearly oxidised wines from the Carrodus range at YY's cellar door - clearly seems to be some sort of pattern.

The standard wines have also come across as superior in comparison.

You'd have to be pretty keen to part with $250+ for any of those... :roll:

michel

Post by michel »

Diddy wrote:
DaveS wrote:Re: YY, I’ve been to their cellar door twice now and both times left scratching my head wondering what all the fuss was about.
I've also experienced clearly oxidised wines from the Carrodus range at YY's cellar door - clearly seems to be some sort of pattern.

The standard wines have also come across as superior in comparison.

You'd have to be pretty keen to part with $250+ for any of those... :roll:
Yes yes
I did the range two years in a row and ultra premium range price tag made me chuckle in bemusement :shock:
International Chambertin Day 16th May

cleanskinlover

Post by cleanskinlover »

Having tasted all the 2015's I have to say the Underhill is the best by a country mile. Big improvements on the Agincourt, probably best ever though not worth the price.