The 'What's your thoughts on this wine' Thread

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Redav

The 'What's your thoughts on this wine' Thread

Post by Redav »

I thought I'd start a thread for people to ask about and share thoughts on a wine you thought you'd look into. Cellar Tracker is handy but so is discussion always wins :).

2014 Wynns The Siding Cabernet. I've only had a bottle so far but I'm thinking of trying it again as I enjoyed it and think it might be a great quaffer. There's some sharp pricing around at the moment too. Has anyone given this much of a go? Obviously their other wines get great raps.

Ozzie W

Re: The 'What's your thoughts on this wine' Thread

Post by Ozzie W »

Redav wrote:I thought I'd start a thread for people to ask about and share thoughts on a wine you thought you'd look into. Cellar Tracker is handy but so is discussion always wins :).

2014 Wynns The Siding Cabernet. I've only had a bottle so far but I'm thinking of trying it again as I enjoyed it and think it might be a great quaffer. There's some sharp pricing around at the moment too. Has anyone given this much of a go? Obviously their other wines get great raps.

I haven't tried the 2014, but I've had previous vintages before. For me, The Siding always delivers more than it's price-point suggests and is a great QPR wine. I like my Cabernet aged, so for my palate this needs at least 5 years of aging before it begins to strut its stuff. The only competition I can think of at this price-point is the Mike Press Cabernet.

Redav

Post by Redav »

I thought I'd pick up one up at lunch and ended up with '08 and '10 Black Label Cab Sauv's instead :lol:

rooman

Post by rooman »

Redav wrote:I thought I'd pick up one up at lunch and ended up with '08 and '10 Black Label Cab Sauv's instead :lol:

Much better wines.

Redav

Post by Redav »

Does anyone drink or keep any of the following;

Henschke Julius Riesling
Rockford Semillion
Peter Lehmann Margaret Semillon
Peter Lehmann Wigan Riesling
Oakridge Semillon
Moss Wood Ribbon Vale Semillon Sauvignon Blanc

Any thoughts on them? Might any of these benefit from much of a rest? If so, any idea how long you might do that for? I know Robert sells his Rockford with a couple of years on it and says it can do with more. I keep trying to give some a rest but because we buy so few, we keep drinking them :lol:

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Depending on the growing season, the Rockfords can be best at 5 to 15 years! I had a recent that wan't completely ready at 10.

Julius can be outstanding and I find Stephen Henschke's vintage ratings trustworthy- exceptional ratings a must try/buy.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder »

I've had quite a few Julius 2008 (I think?) last year that were very good, under screwcap had still developed nicely, albeit rather slowly and so I have left one to sleep for a while longer.
Also had one 1998 (I think again!?) about 2 years ago that was lovely. Beautifully aged, typically golden, toasty, nutty, but still retaining fresh fruit and nice acidity. Cork was in very good condition.
Had a Margaret Semillon (about 10yrs old I think)last year but from what I recall it seemed a bit sweet for my liking. I have a couple in the cellar still of different vintages, cant recall which.

Willard

Post by Willard »

The Julius I think is a terrific wine depending on vintage. I try a fair cross section of Eden Valley Rieslings in most vintages and this is typically up in the top few for my tastes. I cellar 2-3 bottles in good vintages.

I used to try the Wigan - a few vintages back to about '05, I often found it a bit broad and lacking focus compared to its peers. Maybe it's the age at which it gets released, often in-between youth and maturity. I never cellared any, so no idea about further aging improvement. I don't buy it anymore; better value elsewhere for me.

Margaret Semillon I only have tried the '05 and '06, which I thought were very good. Celllared a few '06, had one late last year, and stood up well next to an 05 Tyrrell's (Belford I think). I would likely buy the current vintage to try if I came across it on the shelf.

Will
wills.wines

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Redav wrote:Does anyone drink or keep any of the following;
Rockford Semillion
Any thoughts on them? Might any of these benefit from much of a rest? If so, any idea how long you might do that for? I know Robert sells his Rockford with a couple of years on it and says it can do with more. I keep trying to give some a rest but because we buy so few, we keep drinking them.

I have a couple of bottles of '98 Rockford Semillon that I bought at cellar door along with a couple of '98 Moppa Springs. I thought they were well worth cellaring and only recently I opened a bottle of the Moppa Springs and at 18 years of age it was was an absolute delight. I also have high hopes for the Semillon. So the short answer is yes, I do keep the the Rockford Semillon.

Mahmoud.

PS: Here is the link to my post on the Rockford 'Moppa Springs': viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15337

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Henschke Julius Riesling
Rockford Semillion
Peter Lehmann Margaret Semillon
Peter Lehmann Wigan Riesling
Oakridge Semillon
Moss Wood Ribbon Vale Semillon Sauvignon Blanc

Any thoughts on them? Might any of these benefit from much of a rest? If so, any idea how long you might do that for? I know Robert sells his Rockford with a couple of years on it and says it can do with more. I keep trying to give some a rest but because we buy so few, we keep drinking them :lol:

I've been drinking '05 Margaret Semillons this Christmas and they've been good. Do let it warm a little, and it will show more. I haven't touched any of my '02's yet, but I'm tempted to before too long. My '04 Wigans are fine. Good drinking in a quite rich style, I think, and some years left in the tank yet.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

I quite like the Wigan...ages fantastically well...Usually has great acid...pretty consistent performer I'd say...although that's probably true for a lot of Australian Rieslings...but I do know these age and I think the 2-3g/L of RS helps quite a bit in the development and overall palate.

pokolbinguy

Post by pokolbinguy »

Bluegrass Cabernet? - Thoughts?

Redav

Post by Redav »

Okay, it sounds like some of those wines have some promise.

Are there any zin or durif fans? My wife quite likes Kendal-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Zinfandel and we've had a couple of Golden Grove Estate's Durif.

Tucker Wine Studios

Post by Tucker Wine Studios »

Are there any zin or durif fans? My wife quite likes Kendal-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Zinfandel and we've had a couple of Golden Grove Estate's Durif.

Haven't yet had an Australien Zinfandel that really blew me away but I would say Cape Mentelle's Zinfandel was the one that I liked most. Definitely worth to check out.

When in comes to Durif you should try Kalleske's Buckboard Durif. 2009 and 2010 were ultramassive superdense monster wines ... and so delicious.
More recent vintages were a little bit more restrained but, hey, still powerful and big.

Cheers, Mario

Redav

Post by Redav »

Tucker Wine Studios wrote:Haven't yet had an Australien Zinfandel that really blew me away but I would say Cape Mentelle's Zinfandel was the one that I liked most. Definitely worth to check out.

When in comes to Durif you should try Kalleske's Buckboard Durif. 2009 and 2010 were ultramassive superdense monster wines ... and so delicious.

Righto, I'll have a look around, thanks.

I came a cross a Kalleske Old Vine and I think it was a grenache, I'll go back and have a look and I don't know the vintage. Any thoughts on that?

I know people rate Tyrrell's Vat 1 but what are peoples thoughts on the 2011 vintage? What are the pick vintages from the last 10 years?

rens

Post by rens »

Redav wrote:
Tucker Wine Studios wrote:Haven't yet had an Australien Zinfandel that really blew me away but I would say Cape Mentelle's Zinfandel was the one that I liked most. Definitely worth to check out.

I came a cross a Kalleske Old Vine and I think it was a grenache, I'll go back and have a look and I don't know the vintage. Any thoughts on that?

I know people rate Tyrrell's Vat 1 but what are peoples thoughts on the 2011 vintage? What are the pick vintages from the last 10 years?

2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 are all great. If I had to pick a few it would be 2009 and 2013.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Redav wrote:

2014 thought to be a vintage of a generation. I have bought quite a few 2014's but haven't tried many.

In regards to Zin's I've recently got back from California. Had a fair crack at the various wine regions including Sonoma, Paso Robles, Santa Cruz Mountains, Santa Barbara wine region. Had a number of Zins. Some very good however a lot had a sweetness to them that put me off. I am a savoury red man and my palate is sensitive to sweetness. Unfortunately we get a lot of the crap from the US over here (similar to how they get a lot of our crap) and so a trip over there is really needed to get an appreciation for their styles.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

rens wrote:
Redav wrote:

2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 are all great. If I had to pick a few it would be 2009 and 2013.

Agreed, though I would add 2015 Vat 1 which is outstanding.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

winetastic wrote:
rens wrote:
Redav wrote:

I don't even know how you guys evaluate Vat 1 that young...It is by far my favorite Sem but when they're young I just get acid and some lemony water...the only way I judge what I think it'll do is just by the acidity but no way to really know what will happen to it...

rens

Post by rens »

Polymer wrote:
winetastic wrote:
rens wrote:

I don't even know how you guys evaluate Vat 1 that young...It is by far my favorite Sem but when they're young I just get acid and some lemony water...the only way I judge what I think it'll do is just by the acidity but no way to really know what will happen to it...

It is the Balance. If the lemony water is balanced, then everything else will take care of itself as it puts on weight over the next decade.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Redav

Post by Redav »

Redav wrote:I came a cross a Kalleske Old Vine and I think it was a grenache, I'll go back and have a look and I don't know the vintage.

It's the grenache 2015. Thoughts? We've only tried two other Kalleske's before (a GSM and shiraz) and neither stood out. The GSM had an odd nose to it.

How about;

Taylors St Andews Riesling (yeah, we're on a bit of a riesling journey). We had a 2010 on the weekend which I thought was alright and my better half quite enjoyed it, more so than the Julius and Wigan we'd had recently. I thought I'd pick up a few more as experimental medium term anniversary wines as well as a young one that's picked up some medals to contrast against the slight age.

Plantagenet Riesling I had tried to buy this (inspired by this thread) but missed out due to inventory error :( (although the result was an 'upgrade' to the Taylo's, well, based on price it was a 'step up')

2014 Schloss Vollrads Kabinett Riesling I thought I'd try a German one so grabbed one of these too

I'm tempted to try these;
Dopff Au Moulin Riesling Grand Cru Schoenenbourg
Dr Loosen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett Riesling
Dr Loosen Bernkasteler Lay Kabinett Riesling (sweet, it probably better suits my mum and sister's palettes than ours)

What's the Wynns Riesling like?

2012 Plantagenet Cabernet Sauvignon I think we've had one of these before but thought I'd try it again

Any thoughts?

Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Anyone tasted the latest Eperosa wines? New releases out. Trying to think about an order.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Redav wrote:Taylors St Andews Riesling (yeah, we're on a bit of a riesling journey). We had a 2010 on the weekend which I thought was alright and my better half quite enjoyed it, more so than the Julius and Wigan we'd had recently. I thought I'd pick up a few more as experimental medium term anniversary wines as well as a young one that's picked up some medals to contrast against the slight age.

Any thoughts?

Personally I think this is a good decision, its at a good price point and is a good variation from say Watervale or Polish Hill. I really enjoy it, it is a consistent style. I find it better after a year in bottle, once it has settled down; the acidity to me is more approachable.
I tried a well cellared 2001 last year, one of the best Rieslings I have ever tasted, still quite youthful. I have a couple of bottles of each of the 2012, 2014, 2015 & 2016 all stored away for some medium to longer term cellaring.

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

2012 Plantagenet Cabernet Sauvignon I think we've had one of these before but thought I'd try it again

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Super wine this one. I've got a few in the cellar and tried one a couple of years ago. The quality was clear but it needed time. Might be worth trying again now.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

rens wrote:
Polymer wrote:
winetastic wrote:

It is the Balance. If the lemony water is balanced, then everything else will take care of itself as it puts on weight over the next decade.

How are you judging balance? Eg. A young Vat 1 is not balanced at all.

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder »

Polymer wrote:
winetastic wrote:
rens wrote:

I'm with you on that Kev, but I can see where RENs is coming from and also hold some enthusiastic faith that the winemakers see their baby as a wine that has built its reputation on going the long haul, and that they see things I can't! :lol: I haven't had a lot of the vat 1 under screwcap but quite a bit under cork, and with vintages like the outstanding 99 I often wonder how long we will have to wait for vintages like those listed above will take to show their true colours :shock:

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Mayer pinot. 4 different expressions. Whats your favourite.?

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Rockford Semillon
I know Robert sells his Rockford with a couple of years on it and says it can do with more. I keep trying to give some a rest but because we buy so few, we keep drinking them :lol:

I have a few of these, as 'skins' winnings from the Rockford Black Magnum golf days. Cork(of course) and lovely young. A more rich style that lends itself to drinking younger, but I suspect it will be even better with 8-10 years in a cool dark place.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

Polymer wrote:
rens wrote:
Polymer wrote:

How are you judging balance? Eg. A young Vat 1 is not balanced at all.

It's a relative thing... years ago I was lucky enough to get invited to taste a lineup of around 15 new release hunter semillon - all double blind. At the time I recall picking both the Tyrrell's Vat 1 and the Mount Pleasant Lovedale as two of the top 3 - the primary reason was they were more balanced.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Hacker wrote:
Rockford Semillon
I know Robert sells his Rockford with a couple of years on it and says it can do with more. I keep trying to give some a rest but because we buy so few, we keep drinking them :lol:

I have a few of these, as 'skins' winnings from the Rockford Black Magnum golf days. Cork(of course) and lovely young. A more rich style that lends itself to drinking younger, but I suspect it will be even better with 8-10 years in a cool dark place.

I've had some older ones and they have been lovely (15+ years old) as Hacker says they are a richer style but can age gracefully.