Best's Bin 1 Shiraz 2013

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Best's Bin 1 Shiraz 2013

Post by Waiters Friend »

14% abv and screwcap. Decanted a hour before service.

A deep crimson / purple in colour. The nose initially was heavy on licorice and stewed plum, and was noticeable a metre from the glass. This quickly settled down to reveal a more elegant wine altogether.

Not that it is wimpy at all. It's medium bodied bordering on full bodied, with red cherries and white pepper, supporting the licorice and plum. The palate shows some oak support (not dominating, though), with firm, drying tannins and a line of acid through the finish.

I reckon this would benefit greatly from a couple of years bottle age, and probably will see 10 years confortably. I have a 6 pack of the previous vintage in the cellar that won't be touched before 2016.

As a youngster, it complemented a tomato-based salami and olive pasta quite well, with it's youthful characters matching the spices.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Matt

Re: Best's Bin 1 Shiraz 2013

Post by Matt »

I have quite a few 11's left. Certainly a big whack of white pepper with these wines. Interestingly the wine maker suggests the 11's are 'drink now' propositions. Not sure about the 12 and 13.