Buying a port keg

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
PaulG

Buying a port keg

Post by PaulG »

Hi everyone,

I'm about to hit send on an order to Gavin for some fortifieds from the sale, but have nowhere to store them. I've finally managed SWMBO to let me buy a port keg, but am doing so on a rather limited budget.

I've seen lots of artisan coopers putting out items around the $3-500 mark, but can't quite make that stretch. I then stumbled across this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10L-American ... e79&_uhb=1

Would I be foolish to use that?

Are there any other options, or does anyone have a used keg they'd be willing to part with?

Thanks,

Paul

Michael McNally

Re: Buying a port keg

Post by Michael McNally »

What does 'French Toasted' mean given it's listed as American Oak? Has it been dipped in egg and fried?

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

rednut

Post by rednut »

Hi,

I have as does my brother a keg made by The Keg Factoy in the Barossa, 20 litre oval rustic.
They are the best kegs going around as are their wine racks.
Mine has faithfully served me for the last 15 years and still going strong and looks great.
Some of those other round ugly kegs look and perform like crap. Made of cheap nasty wood and stainless steel fittings. Point in fact I have a keg out the back from my wifes grandparents which he bought in the Hunter Valley some 8 - 10 years ago and it is stuffed. Never had the flavour or look of the Keg Factory ones.

http://www.thekegfactory.com.au/home/

Have a squiz and see what you reckon.

Cheers
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Good point, Michael. Probably not a great sign!

I've spotted the Keg Factory's products before, and they look amazing, but are a bit high on the budget side of things. I'm assuming I'll come to the conclusion that there is no keg is better than a crappy keg, but I was hoping there'd be something in terms of a mid-way point that I could look at!

tunetown

Post by tunetown »

+1 on the Keg Factory. It may seem expensive at first but considering it will probably live longer than us it's cheap per annum. My father bought a cheap barrel and it was leaking through the tap very early on beyond repair. Now just a useless bar ornament.

I have only recently started my barrel and very happy with it and also the keg blend from Liebich. http://liebichwein.com.au/ Lovely lady.

This is a long term investment. Buy once, buy right.

Cheers
Cheers
Peter Houghton

damonpeyo

Post by damonpeyo »

you can buy pre-seasoned barrels directly from some fortified wineries.

damonpeyo

Post by damonpeyo »

tunetown wrote:
I have only recently started my barrel and very happy with it and also the keg blend from Liebich. http://liebichwein.com.au/ Lovely lady.

This is a long term investment. Buy once, buy right.

Cheers

some good information there in the link on home barrel advice

rooman

Post by rooman »

Pardon the dumb question but what are people putting in these things? I am guessing wine of some sort but what? I can't see most of the punters on here going out and buying 4 ltr cask wine.

tunetown

Post by tunetown »

You can buy bulk un-aged port from many wineries. I put the Keg Blend from Liebich in mine. It's already fortified and just needs the barrel for aging and complexity.
Cheers
Peter Houghton

rooman

Post by rooman »

Damn that is a lot of fortified alcohol.