Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
phillisc

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by phillisc »

2014 Lindemans Bin 1403 Hunter Shiraz...at 10 years brilliant, beautiful profile, plush, earthy, twinge of sweetness. Purchased three dozen of these when some etailer slashed them to $100 /dozen. Last of the line unfortunately, years to go.

1990 Wynns Oven Valley Shiraz, amazing cork, extracted in one piece, stained about 5mm. Almost translucent, still plenty of fruit, amazing really. Bottle finished in a jiffy. Think there are 6 left, one per year for the 40th birthday...don't make them like this anymore.

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

mjs

Post by mjs »

phillisc wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 pm 2014 Lindemans Bin 1403 Hunter Shiraz...at 10 years brilliant, beautiful profile, plush, earthy, twinge of sweetness. Purchased three dozen of these when some etailer slashed them to $100 /dozen. Last of the line unfortunately, years to go.

1990 Wynns Oven Valley Shiraz, amazing cork, extracted in one piece, stained about 5mm. Almost translucent, still plenty of fruit, amazing really. Bottle finished in a jiffy. Think there are 6 left, one per year for the 40th birthday...don't make them like this anymore.

Cheers Craig
Craig,

I have a small quality of the similar 2014 Bin 1400, might be interesting to pull a cork for a quick review

rgds, Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

mjs wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:51 pm
phillisc wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 pm 2014 Lindemans Bin 1403 Hunter Shiraz...at 10 years brilliant, beautiful profile, plush, earthy, twinge of sweetness. Purchased three dozen of these when some etailer slashed them to $100 /dozen. Last of the line unfortunately, years to go.

Cheers Craig
Craig,

I have a small quality of the similar 2014 Bin 1400, might be interesting to pull a cork for a quick review

rgds, Malcolm
Malcolm, if I recall, there were three wines for the final 2014 release, the cheapie 1403, the reserve 1400, I think I have a sixer, paid $26 at VCs and the third wine which was the 1410, labelled Bin Ean?? at around $80. Winestar, Treasury and a few others were flogging it, but I never got the chance to buy or taste, but believe its a similar quality to the famed 1983 vintage of the 6600?

Cheers Craig

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

People complaining about the stratospheric prices of Burgundy day after day.
Yet, like Bordeaux, it continues to deliver some of the greatest wines values on Earth.

2019 Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne
purchase in Australia for $54. (via direct importer)
grapes sourced from around Chambolle, a commune that did particularly well in this universally superb vintage. Once considered a prune 'em and pick 'em wine, with little viticultural effort, H-N has, since 2008, dramatically increased its efforts in both viticulture and viniculture of this wine, and the wine has soared to heights I don't think any other generic offering has achieved. Well and truly Village quality, and the equal of many a Burgundy Premier Cru.
incredible nose of red berries, roses, candy and dark chocolate. Broad and Deep palate, fabulous complexity and length. I have seen this wine six months ago out-shine this Domaine's NSG and VR Premier Cru wines in a H-N blind tasting, an effort that has also occurred in past vintages.
the scores for this wine metered out by the so-called Burgundy expert scribes shows how little they know, or care, about the developments outside their darling dozen in the region.
this cuvee is very much an insider's secret, and very difficult to find. If you do, grab a bottle. Whilst the 2019 is easily the best of the lineage, everything from 2009 onwards is great.
defy anyone to find a better bottle of pinot for $54 anywhere.
94 pts, drink: 2025-2040

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Well, for whatever its worth, I for one, and glad that I never GOT the Pinot Noir/Burgundy thing. Just not my wines or wine styles, and such extremely poor value for money, at least for me that I'm glad I missed it.

Rarely had a Pinot Noir that Wows me (save for a superb Clos de Bez I enjoyed once) and so have saved myself these dramas.

Now, of course, just one man's opinion, and not to downplay anyone who simply loves and gets Burgundy, we are all different, but I at least am happy to not be on that train!

Now ... White Burgundy is totally different, there I am also on the love it, but cannot afford it, wagon! :-)
regards

Gavin Trott

Sean

Post by Sean »

Hunter Semillon is a taskmaster - for the winemaker and wine drinker.
The traditional wine style won’t have a lot of appeal as a young wine. Rather you have to be very patient (which I am not) or it has to be released with bottle age. Much appreciated those wineries who do that. But even then the really best of it comes years after that.
Why the hell do they do it?
First, it is unoaked and to be honest pretty uninteresting as a young wine. No colour or some green perhaps. Not much flavour. Lemon or citrus maybe. Loads of acidity. (That is actually ideal if it is aged for many years.)
Alternatively there is a ready to drink style. A bit more flavour and rounder on the palate. You pick it if you are getting some grassy or herbaceous character in the glass. Or tropical fruit (a tank ferment flavour). You won’t be cellaring that wine. Nice lunch wine if you are eating seafood at a table with Sydney harbour views - or something like that.
Hunter Semillon grapes are crushed, not pressed, with the free-run juice prized for its clean, fresh character. The grape skin is thin even though it has lots of fruit and acidity. They avoid pressing and any phenolics. Might experiment with that making a Riesling, not a Semillon.
Keep it simple is the rule.
Second, you look for Hunter Semillon with a bit of age on it. The best Hunter Valley wineries will sell a Semillon with 5 or 6 years bottle age. You pay a bit more for that, but it is worth it.
That is just the start however.
As it ages it becomes more complex developing a toasty (oak like) character. Also the lean, citrusy fruit sweetens up, and takes on a honeyed character. This is when it hits the best part of its drinking window.
The thing is it can have a long drinking window or long-living maturity after that. Liking that comes down to experience of old wines or personal preference, it is not so much about the wine anymore.

OK so the wine… this is a traditional Hunter Semillon with a long track record.

Tyrrell’s Stevens Vineyard Semillon 17 - Light yellow straw colour, but this has a long way to go before it is really evolved. A hint of what will come with more bottle age. Feels clean and elegant. Citrus, hay, dried herbs, subtle toasty nuance and deep running acidity through it.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Gavin Trott wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:02 pm Well, for whatever its worth, I for one, and glad that I never GOT the Pinot Noir/Burgundy thing. Just not my wines or wine styles, and such extremely poor value for money, at least for me that I'm glad I missed it.

Rarely had a Pinot Noir that Wows me (save for a superb Clos de Bez I enjoyed once) and so have saved myself these dramas.

Now, of course, just one man's opinion, and not to downplay anyone who simply loves and gets Burgundy, we are all different, but I at least am happy to not be on that train!

Now ... White Burgundy is totally different, there I am also on the love it, but cannot afford it, wagon! :-)
Same, but different for me Gavin.

I got the Pinot bug when I came back to Melbourne in 2000 and started going to the cellar doors again around Yarra Valley and Mornington Peninsula.

Driving in and around the hilly parts of Mornington Peninsula in particular seeing the vineyards and talking to people who are really passionate about their wines.

So my love of Pinot is local and close to home.

I know it isn’t Burgundy, it is Mornington Peninsula pinot.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

I've enjoyed some burgs / pinot noir, and also had a genuine "wow!" moment with a 1969 Domaine Jaboulet-Vercherre Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes, resulting in a Burg loving friend questioning his whole approach to ageing wine from his favourite region. Beyond that the closest amongst other Pinot Noir wines was the 1998 Martinborough vineyards reserve, a wine for long cellaring that I reckon would still be a good option today... and indeed CT suggests it's still doing fine.

However, no I've not been generally captivated by the grape as others are. Whilst nebbiolo is my choice for long-ageing with potential for ethereal charm / elegance, if wanting something more savoury, I'd prefer a Fumin from Valle d'Aosta to a Pinot Noir (at multiples of the price).

No dissing those that love it - our journey is about what excites us, be it Shiraz, Pinot, Semillon, Xinomavro or something else. There's joy in mining a rich seam of a grape / style that suits us.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Rieslingfreak No.34 Riesling 23 - Clare and Eden Valley.

Opened this while I was watching an old episode of Wine Lovers Guide on SBS. They are repeating it on Ch.31 at 5.15 pm each weekday.
Today it was about the Swan Valley wineries and Brown Brothers.
I will be up that way in May (King Valley), bugger it might have to add an extra day and head over to Milawa to Brown Brothers.
OK the wine…
A little colour and very aromatic. Could smell the citrus and talcum as I was pouring it into the glass.
Limes, herbs, bath salts and punchy acidity.
Feels really lively on the palate, a little spritzy perhaps, with a moderately dry finish.
The bottle is going quick, this is very good.

SipAndANibble

Post by SipAndANibble »

2021 Penley Cabernet Sauvignon from mclaren vale. Not bad, took a few hours to open up

SipAndANibble

Post by SipAndANibble »

Sean wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:18 pm Hunter Semillon is a taskmaster - for the winemaker and wine drinker.
The traditional wine style won’t have a lot of appeal as a young wine. Rather you have to be very patient (which I am not) or it has to be released with bottle age. Much appreciated those wineries who do that. But even then the really best of it comes years after that.
Why the hell do they do it?
First, it is unoaked and to be honest pretty uninteresting as a young wine. No colour or some green perhaps. Not much flavour. Lemon or citrus maybe. Loads of acidity. (That is actually ideal if it is aged for many years.)
Alternatively there is a ready to drink style. A bit more flavour and rounder on the palate. You pick it if you are getting some grassy or herbaceous character in the glass. Or tropical fruit (a tank ferment flavour). You won’t be cellaring that wine. Nice lunch wine if you are eating seafood at a table with Sydney harbour views - or something like that.
Hunter Semillon grapes are crushed, not pressed, with the free-run juice prized for its clean, fresh character. The grape skin is thin even though it has lots of fruit and acidity. They avoid pressing and any phenolics. Might experiment with that making a Riesling, not a Semillon.
Keep it simple is the rule.
Second, you look for Hunter Semillon with a bit of age on it. The best Hunter Valley wineries will sell a Semillon with 5 or 6 years bottle age. You pay a bit more for that, but it is worth it.
That is just the start however.
As it ages it becomes more complex developing a toasty (oak like) character. Also the lean, citrusy fruit sweetens up, and takes on a honeyed character. This is when it hits the best part of its drinking window.
The thing is it can have a long drinking window or long-living maturity after that. Liking that comes down to experience of old wines or personal preference, it is not so much about the wine anymore.

OK so the wine… this is a traditional Hunter Semillon with a long track record.

Tyrrell’s Stevens Vineyard Semillon 17 - Light yellow straw colour, but this has a long way to go before it is really evolved. A hint of what will come with more bottle age. Feels clean and elegant. Citrus, hay, dried herbs, subtle toasty nuance and deep running acidity through it.
This got my attention as I started drinking sweet rieslings, such as selbach oster Riesling kabinett 2017 ! It is sweet off the bat but just a delicious wine. I actually only have one bottle left.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Catching up slowly

This was from a wine dinner held early December 2023.

The theme was: Known wines Served Blind

Basically we all received the list of the wines that were being presented, BUT we did not know what order they are served in, and as always they are served blind.

We had to rank each wine in order of preference once tasted.
In a bit of a twist, we also had to rank the wines in order of preference before tasting as well
so we can compare the difference.
Some disappointments and some real surprises which is why these nights are so fun

Due to limited space on the paper, my notes are not as thorough as usual

Wine # 1 – 2011 By Far Tout Pres
Ruby red in colour, blurry in the glass don’t think its age more un-fined and unfiltered type thing.
Nose has a lot of spice, twiggy too (assume its oak), mulchy like autumn leaves. This has that whole bunch feel about it- can only be the ByFarr, its archetypal can pick it a mile away. More white peppery spice notes, touch of green capsicum, stone minerals, soii bois, mushroom with that pine forest floor.. pine needles as well. My # 5 of the night

Wine # 2 – 2002 Sylvie Esmonin Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St Jacques
Looks younger in the glass, but blurry. Oh no, I can smell the ox from here. A mix of Ox and brett, its
Terrible. Tipped out & last place - #9

Wine # 3 – 2010 Alex Gambal Latricieres – Chambertin
Light red with some browning creeping in – but only slightly. Its not bright in colour, but that heady nose fills the room with fragrance. Red rose, mushrooms, blood orange, more red fruits. There is some dried Valencia orange peel, wet earth, its fine boned, its superlative… unbelievable and simply stunning. The group take a moment to appreciate whats in the glass, a short silence floats across the table while people take it all in. Fine soft tannin just melts in the mouth, this is super complex that you just cant get in the new world, I pick it as french but not the producer More forest floor & mushrooms to finish, perfect balance, astonishing length - # 1 of the night

Wine # 4 – 2017 Comte Armand Pommard 1er Cru Closdes Epeneaux
Dark cherry red colour, very very young – painfully so. Looks like it was just bottled. Dark fruits, blueberry, black cherry. Hints of aniseed/liquorice, lots of dark spices as well, but lots of acid too. Huge tannin, raw and prominent.. grainy and dominant. Length is a bit short for my liking, - its an ok wine, but needs a decade or longer to really come together it’s a bit one dimensional. Out of balance, all arms and legs at the moment. #6 of the night

Wine # 5 -2018 Hoddles Creek 1er Pinot Noir
Young red, touch darker in colour – deeper red/purple than others of the night. This is another young one, super bright and shining in the glass, nice clarity too, burgundy nose – intriguing.
Very fresh red fruits, sour cherry, strawberry, some alpine herb and subtle spice as well. Really well balanced here, i thought initially the acid was going to dominate, but it just melted into the wine. Very good length here, goes on and on, needs a long rest to fill out. Lacking a touch of complexity is my only gripe, but that will resolve itself with time. Put down for 10 years and watch greatness rise.
# 3 of the night

Wine # 6 – 2013 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny 1er cru Les Charmes
Looks very young in the glass. Again painfully young. Black cherry colour, nose of dried spices, and some plum. This is all tannin, it overpowers the wine. Those tannins are steely and prominent, mouthcoating but oaky as well. Simple wine at this point in its life, one dimensional and simple. Pencil shavings, some purple florals, but overpowered by oak. Needs a lot more time - #8 of the night
Looking back and with the benefit of hindsight, I wonder if this was nqr possibly suffering from slight TCA?
No one in the group picked it or mentioned a fault, but this should have been MUCH better than it was.

Wine # 7 – 2007 Armand Rousseau Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St Jacques
Lovely colour here, cherry red with a touch of darker fruits in there. Very floral nose, red rose petals, strawberries, hint of sweetness on the nose too. This is simply stunning, length and that mouthfeel is unlike anything previously. This is the Rousseau can only be with that X factor. Perfectly ripe red fruits, dusty tannin, a hit of truffle, and very fine oak. Not dominating just perfect. Perfect balance, amazing fruit….wow, just wow # 2 of the night (very close)

Wine # 8 – 2008 Faiveley Chambertin – Clos de Beze
Darker ruby red, touch of blurring but no browning. Has some age on this wine, you can just tell sometimes and older wine that has been stored very well. Again some beautiful red & purple florals leap out of the glass, touch of lavender and roses. Powerful red fruits in the mouth, commanding fruit, purposeful, surely it’s a Grand Cru. Tannin is fine grained, balance is just sublime but those fruits are the superstar here. So juicy, length for days.
# 4 of the night

Wine # 9 - 2020 Bass Phillip Estate Pinot Noir
Another dark, ruby red colour. Very young in colour, very clear. Nose has abundant aniseed, fennel and spice. Too much oak here, out of balance and dominant. Length is short, but at this stage its just too one dimensional. Simple fruit, loaded with acid and again that raw oak is out of place.
# 7 of the night

Wine # 10 – 2014 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Saint-Jacques
This was a backup to the Faulty 2002 Sylvie Esmonin Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St Jacques,
I didn’t have any space left on the paper so no notes were taken. I do remember it being good, but that’s as far as it went.
Louis Jadot i always have an internal bias against for some reason. Somehow i always think they are a mass produced bulk wine
producer at the cheaper end, however whenever i have one, i usually enjoy them and curse myself for my prejudice.

Wine # 11 – 1994 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port
Smells Oxidised, aldehyde / embalming fluid. Heat and alcohol. VA, lacks fruit. NQR

Wine # 11 – NV Morris Old Premium Liqueur Muscat (Backup to the Quinta do Noval)

Now this is so much better. Lots of fudge, caramel, and vanilla bean on the nose; enthralling nose, evocative and poignant
Colour is a coffee / brown / tawny type look, coats the sides of the glass nicely.
Silky mouthfeel, olive oil texture…. So oily, it's exquisite. Aniseed, dried currants, sultanas, Christmas cake, lots of dried citrus peel in the mouth. This feels very old, like Australian Royalty – its not foreign, its all class and that length is stunning. Spirit is in perfect balance, no heat, no alcohol, just soft dark fruits and silky full mouthfeel. Chewy even. What a way to finish the night

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Pity about the Quinta do Noval - I had a 1995 a couple of months back that I rated very highly indeed.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

kenzo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:02 pm Pity about the Quinta do Noval - I had a 1995 a couple of months back that I rated very highly indeed.
Yeah there were a couple of disappointments during the night (my Alain Hudelot-Noellat being one of them), however the Morris was a more than worthy replacement and just goes to show the generosity of the group. I will have to seek out some
Quinta do Noval as I don't think I had had many, and I really enjoy good VP.

Sean

Post by Sean »

March -

Penfolds Max’s Chardonnay 23 - Adelaide Hills. Light straw colour. Citrus, stonefruit, nougat and spice. The toasty French oak is pretty obvious, but there is sufficient fruit and acidity in this too.

Ten Minutes By Tractor 10X Pinot Noir 23 - The fruit came off 6 vineyards. Wild yeast, some whole bunch, a mix of fermenters and aged for 5 months in French oak barrels. Ruby colour and perfumed. Dark cherry, cranberry, rhubarb and spice. Feels very fruit driven with loads of fresh acidity. Some subtle tannin and a brambly finish.

Chapel Hill The Parson Sangiovese Rose 23 - I have drunk a few bottles of this. Pale salmon colour and musky aromas. Cherry, red fruits and rosewater. Clean with a subtle, textured feel to it and moderately dry finish.

Xanadu Cabernet Sauvignon 21 - Got 14 months in French oak, 40% new barrels. Strongly defined fruit and balance. Blackcurrant, plum, mulberry, dried herbs and cedar. All of this is still very primary with fine powdery tannin on the palate. Fills out a bit more with each glass. Obviously the best time to drink this is in 10 yrs and probably another 10 after that.

Krondorf Eden Valley Riesling 23 - This is a Dorrien Estate wine. Green straw colour. Florals, citrus and minerals. Lush, grapey fruit and full of intensity with a chalky dry finish.

Pierre D’Amour Rose 23 - Got this from the bottlo next door a couple times. Riverland grapes, incl. shiraz and two less known Italian varietals aglianico and negroamaro. Pale salmon colour and musky. Red fruits, cherry and a dry finish.

Pikes Traditionale Riesling 23 - 3rd bottle that I have opened. Much too easy to drink with the warm weather we are having. Straw coloured. Strong varietal definition with talcum, fresh citrus and loads of clean, natural acidity.

Deep Woods Estate Cabernet Merlot 20 - I have drunk a few bottles of this over the last 3 years, and lots to like about it. Purpley and scented with a medium-bodied feel to it. Red and dark fruits, mint, dried herbs and some earthy character. Luxurious fruit quality filling out the palate and soft, powdery tannins.

Mount Pleasant Rosehill Shiraz 22 - The fruit comes off an old, red loamy soil vineyard located with a higher elevation in Hunter Valley. Some whole bunch and matured in large format French oak for 11 months. Lighter colour and lovely aromatics. Just 13.5% alcohol, so this is medium-bodied. Plums, red fruits, pepper, cloves, aniseed and earth. Comes up nicely in the glass with more air. Long with slow, sappy tannins that build on the palate.

Tyrrell’s Stevens Vineyard Semillon 17 - This a traditional Hunter Semillon with a long track record. Light yellow straw colour, but this has a long way to go before it is really evolved. A hint of what will come with more bottle age. Feels clean and elegant. Citrus, hay, dried herbs, subtle toasty nuance and deep running acidity through it.

Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 16 - Lots to offer if you open a bottle and really take your time with it. Some pretty robust tannin evident in this, so you know it will be a keeper. Funny thing is it also feels even more integrated now and showing no sign of closing down yet. A strong red-purple colour with leafy and cassis aromas. The fruit and tannins combine effortlessly on the palate. Dark fruits, cherry, dried herbs with subtle mocha and earth.

Rieslingfreak No.34 Riesling 23 - Clare and Eden Valley. A little colour and very aromatic. Could smell the citrus and talcum as I was pouring it into the glass. Limes, herbs, bath salts and punchy acidity. Feels really lively on the palate, a little spritzy perhaps, with a moderately dry finish. The bottle went quick, this is very good.

Peter Lehmann The Bond Grenache 21 - I had this bottle on the go over three nights. Screwcapped, which makes it easy to do that. Also it is pretty robust I suppose. Really like the lush red fruits, spice and soft tannins.

Deep Woods Estate Chardonnay 23 - Margaret River. Picked up a couple of bottles for $15 pb. Got 6 months in French oak. Wild yeast and some leesy influence working through this in tandem with the fruit. Yellow straw colour. Pineapple, stonefruit and some spicy/toasty oak.

Brokenwood Semillon 21 - Crushed, chilled, pressed and tank fermented. Green straw colour and florals. Citrus, lemongrass and pear. A little richer with some phenolics on the mid-palate. Lots of natural steely acidity and a dry finish.

Stella Bella Cabernet Sauvignon 19 - Sourced from 5 vineyards in southern MR. Also a bit of Malbec. It had 15 months in small French oak barrels. Some nice aromatics early on. Violets, cassis, red fruits, mint and fennel. But the oak extract and grippy tannin take over. Feels closed and astringent after a glass or two. I kept half the bottle for a second night and it was marginally smoother, but much the same. Needs to be cellared.

Tyrrell’s Hunter Valley Semillon 23 - Sourced from a number of vineyards in Hunter Valley. Lightly crushed and pressed. Tank fermented and some leesy influence to soften it. Light straw colour and florals. Citrus, pear and fresh herbs with vibrant natural acidity and a dry finish.

Tyrrell’s HVD Vineyard Semillon 16 - The fruit comes off the Sign Post block originally planted in 1908. It is crushed (half the fruit with stems) and pressed, which explains the grippy phenolics this wine will have. Straw coloured and herbal/citrus aromas. Lemon, grapefruit and honeysuckle with tangy acidity. Not much toast yet. Some bottle age has added a bit of colour and softened it. But this clearly needs more time to show its best.

Levant by Levantine Hill Chardonnay 21 - Whole bunch pressed, aged on lees with minimal stirring and some of it malo. This should have been much better. Reminds me of bad French wine I drank 30 years ago. Sulfides. Lean and not much fruit. Citrus, white peach, melon perhaps. Savoury, old oak influence that characterises this wine.

Levant by Levantine Hill Pinot Noir 21 - Mostly MV6 and de-stemmed. 20% of stalks added back. Aged for 6 months in large format French oak foudres and 500 litre puncheons. A lighter, fragrant style of Pinot. Ruby colour. Sour cherry, red fruits, rhubarb and herbs. The vibrant acidity features giving a fresh, fruit driven feel to it. Oak and tannin are secondary, having a subtle, textural influence rather than obvious.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

It’s Easter so… why not. Very dark in the glass, this is still quite primary in some ways albeit approaching 20 years. Tobacco, spice, tar - rich mouth feel. Very good. A wine you drink and wish you’d known to get on the mailer 20 years ago (when you turned 18!).

Cheers Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Finally caught up on my notes.

This was from an event back at the start of Feb. Theme was - Open: New World Chardonnay & Pinot

As always, all wines served blind

Wine # 1 – (Waiting wine) – 2022 Saracco Moscato D’Asti
Not on theme, just something interesting to pass the time as people arrive.
Some slight fizz in the glass, more spritzy than anything. Exciting and not like a sparkling at all. Huge nose of white flowers, sweet tropical fruits with Papaya, white peach, wild honey. It’s a simple wine, but thoroughly enjoyable and smashable. Can imagine sitting overlooking the Mediterranean eating seafood on a balcony or deck. Just a perfect aperitif and excellent value for money. Don't hesitate

Wine # 2 - 2011 Stefano Lubiana Grande Vintage
Nice colour, tinge of yellow in the centre, greening towards the edges and a white rim.
Nose has lots of lemon curd, lemon custard and green apple. That’s pretty much where the fun ended, plate was broad and simple. Lacking intensity of fruit that the nose promised, acid is way out of balance here, its spiky and hard. It dominates the wine and overpowers it. Shame as previous vintages of this have been superb, and confused for Champagne. Length was quite good, however that’s about it. This probably should have been labeled as their standard offerings/lower range.

Wine # 3 - 2005 Penfolds Yattarna Chardonnay (Adelaide Hills)
Yellow green in colour, very bright and looks very young. Nose has some honeysuckle
and biscuit notes, lots of yellow and white peach – orchard fruits. Spicy cinnamon nose as well, super complex nose.
One of those wines you could sit and smell for hours.
On the palate the wine is something else, a total and complete mouthfeel, fruit power and balance. Everything is turned up to give maximum impact here. The fruits are so powerful, yet perfectly ripe. Not over ripe or overblown, just big. Silky texture, acid perfectly judged and balanced, that oak is very high quality – no expense spared here. Lucky its up to the task of taming those powerful fruits; more stone fruits and a hint of red apple. This could last another 15 years – Screwcap and First vintage from 100% Adelaide hills fruit – what a wine, right up there with the best White Burg – and I don’t say that lightly.

Wine # 4 - 2004 Giaconda Estate Chardonnay Beechworth (Corked)
Such a shame, never tried this vintage and gave me the sads.

Wine # 5 (Back up) – 2002 Pierro Chardonnay (Margaret River)
Darker yellow turning into deep gold – this has age on it; lots of age.
Slightly flat nose, its not revealing much initially, Oak is there but that’s about all for now.
In the mouth there are some lovely soft fruits, stone fruits and yellow peaches. Cinnamon spice, with a really nice length. Acid all gone but that oak is adding a nice touch, feels past its peak, but its holding (just) and a lovely old wine. I would drink now rather than wait any longer, its not going to get any better and its on the decline.

Wine # 6 - 2021 Burn Cottage Estate Central Otago Pinot
Nice colour in the glass, a deep red, not bright though; doesn’t shine. Mushrooms and earth on the nose, lots of forest floor & umami. This has some good complexity on the nose, fair whack of sweet oak & sweet spice. Im wondering if this is from USA with that oak character? Just has this character about it that makes me think of the US for some reason (or new world for sure). I can smell the acid though (or is it alcohol?) – no its not a hot nose I get, just acidic. Im not getting a lot of that Central Otago Charcoal, Graphite or black fruits, this feels like a slightly lighter style Pinot…. Hard to place.
I don’t choose NZ (Im in the US)– so im wrong BUT the winemaker is from the US, so I give myself 50% pass mark :D
Low acid in the mouth, very different to the nose, and it has really integrated well at this stage of its life. Feels slightly older, like a 8 – 10 year wine, has great balance. Im a bit shocked it’s a 2021, doesn’t feel like its going to age very well, BUT the upside of this is that its drinking beautifully well now. Lots of pretty red fruits, red cherry, touch of strawberry and red currant, however there are some blue fruits in there as well. Blueberry, new season plums and that mushroom/earth I got on the nose. Not one for the ages, but a very good wine to drink now. Enjoyable.

Wine # 7 – 2020 Lowestoft Pinot Noir (Tasmania)
Nice bright red, very clear, not blurring or browning. Looks straight out of the barrel type colour.
Nose is incredibly hot, lot of alcohol leaping out of the glass. Very distracting, and its masking some of those red fruits. I can smell aniseed and some five spice in there, but geeze it’s tough going.
Clearly a very young wine (under 5 years), high acid and again high alcohol in the mouth – burning.
This has some high-quality fruits in there, young strawberry, cranberry (tartness) but they are overshadowed. There is a salty maritime influence, like the vineyard sits near the ocean; adds some nice texture and point of difference, but I just cant get past that Alcohol heat and acid. Really needs another 10+ years to calm down. Unbalanced, but there is a huge upside/potential here if you are prepared to wait. Would be interesting to see one of these with some age. Will it ever come around?

Wine # 8 – 2011 Domaine Dujac Clos Saint-Denis Grand Cru

Light red, clear and translucent. Cant get past how light this is, it’s a strawberry red, tinge of copper.
The perfume that is come out of the glass is unbelievable, never had a new world pinot with this nose. Lots of mushroom, sous bois, earth and damp forest notes – and that’s just from the nose. One of those you can smell for hours, constantly evolving in the glass, revealing something new with every whiff.
Explosion of fruit in the mouth, so powerful and primary. How is this new world? Has all the power of a grand cru, has the complexity of a top burg – and that’s what it is… the presenter is cheating!
Not on theme, but I don’t care – this is a surreal experience. Doesn’t have the spice of Vogne, or the florals of gevrey – so im finding it hard to place the region; because its from St Denis – didn’t pick it.
Wow……… wow this is off the charts. Nice and soft, dusty tannin; drying tannin too. Lots of ripe strawberry, red cherry and some twiggy/pine oak notes. The length is endless, it doesn’t stop and it doesn’t finish. Like an old Toyota, it just keeps going. Still so young and primary, cant believe its 13 years old, could be 2 years for all I know. Has 20 years left if the cork allows. Wine of the year so far (yes its an early call), still a cheater wine though – and im not sorry at all.

Wine # 9 – 2016 Prophet’s Rock Home Vineyard Pinot (Central Otago)
Deep, dark purple with red edges. Dark fruits on the nose, dried mandarin peel, candied orange and some blood orange juice. Very, very different to all the others here the fruit nose is wonderful in a different style. Lots of spice, alpine herbs hints of oak – it’s a good place to be. Palate has some whole bunch characters, tomato leaf and some slight stalky notes. Not overdone at all, and this is a quite savoury; not tart just savoury & juicy. The tannin are dry and dusty, good length and more of those blood orange fruits. Again another wine from Central Otago that isn’t a typical Otago. None of those black fruits or charcoal/graphite I associate the region with (maybe its me). This has good length and balance. Drinks well, and will hold for 5+ easily.

The presenter put on two wines in this flight, and we had to guess the commonality between the two:

Wine # 10 – Left Glass – 2012 Curly Flat Pinot (Macedon Ranges)

Clean and clear, dark cherry red colour. Strawberry compote nose, baking spices and a bevvy of perfectly ripe fruit. I love this nose and its very new world. Oak is not overdone or distracting,
This wine is in a great place. On the palate there is more of those strawberry fruits, not overripe. I really like the balance here; everything where I want it to be. Oak and acid are integrated really well, tannin soft and supple – feels Victorian but not sure which region – Mornington or geelong/Bannockburn I think. Im in a 10 year age here, and those fruits are surely Victorian - I choose Geelong (incorrectly) but not ByFarr

Wine # 11 – Right Glass – 2012 Hanging Rock Jim Jim Pinot Noir (Macedon Ranges)
This is very different to the left glass. Slightly blurry and different in colour. This is a darker purple type thing. Whole bunch nose, has some wildness about it, untamed nose; not off-putting, just different. Darker red fruits and I choose Yarra Valley. Feels older than the left glass, as fruits are softer and the whole bunch a little more prominent. So more tomato leaf, more sappy and a bit more oak. Similar tannin and acid however the length is slightly shorter (maybe because of its age?) – I choose same winemaker & same vintage (different regions and different producers)
Nope the commonality is same region & same vintage.

Left glass pips it, however the hanging rock is very good.

Wine # 12 – 1987 Peter Lehmann ‘The King AD 2008’ Vintage Port (Barossa Valley)
Wow what a wine here. Dark almost black in colour – impenetrable colour this is an experience.
Complex nose, raspberry, red rope liquorice and aniseed, biscotti type notes as well – im liking it already. No heat or unbalanced spirit here at all, wonderful nose.
Palate backs up what the nose promises, that spirit is perfect. Some of the best new world spirit I have seen in a long time, pure, clean and allows those fruits to shine. The AD 2008 refers to the recommended year in which to consume, but man have they got it wrong. Should be AD 2030, hard to believe its over 30 years old....going on 40
Salty sea breeze, again lots of raspberry and liquorice notes on the palate. Rose florals, black currants with soft Sandy tannin and red jelly lollies at the end add sweetness. Very happy with this and a great end to the night. Will have to find more of this, buy and drink with confidence.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Interesting comments on the Yattarna Rosscoe. Had a magnum of 2006 recently and the nose world class but the palate wasn’t. It was in cork. Lacks the oomph and tension of Grand Cru Burgundy/ top 1er Cru Burgundy. Would have preferred it in screwcap!

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:51 pm Interesting comments on the Yattarna Rosscoe. Had a magnum of 2006 recently and the nose world class but the palate wasn’t. It was in cork. Lacks the oomph and tension of Grand Cru Burgundy/ top 1er Cru Burgundy. Would have preferred it in screwcap!
It was a clearly a new world wine, but some people thought it a 2015 vintage (which was thrown in as an option) it was so young. I don't really blame them for the choice, it was still green! Timeless really , but this definitely had all the oomph and stuffing to mix it with the best of burg.
I guess the irony is a lot of 05 burgs would most likely be premoxed. Maybe a freak bottle but top white of the year so far. (Yes it's an early entry for WOTY)

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I think screw-cap is delivering incredible results for white Aussies. When I visited Penfold’s Magill Estate to get the magnum for a Grange dinner, 2 x 05’s in screw-cap cheaper than the magnum in cork. Wish I’d gone the 2 x 750ml in sc!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2021 Oliver's Taranga MV Shiraz
Plush, rich, savoury. Bright core of dark fruits, oak in balance, with a long persistent finish. Another reflection of the vintage...put away for a decade. Bargain for what I paid. Lovely wine.
2020 WDCE Yellow Hammerhill Shiraz Malbec
Big wine with plenty going on, dense nose, earthy, spicy with lots of oak, but balanced with the fruit. 14.9% alcohol is slightly noticeable, but doesn't dominate. Palate unfortunately doesn't quite deliver, its a nice wine, but fruit plushness is not there and sadly have tasted better editions of this.
Might pull out a 2019 or 2021 to compare. Oliver's was the better wine.

Cheers Craig

Sean

Post by Sean »

Since the weekend…

Yering Station Into the Valley Rose 22 -
This is made with the Italian varieties Nebbiolo and Sangiovese.
More of a copper colour rather than salmon pink. It is very aromatic. Red berries, rhubarb and peach.
Fills out on the palate with nice fruit weight and subtle herbs.
A slightly savoury and moderately dry finish.

Wirra Wirra Grenache Shiraz 22 -
Sourced from around McLaren Vale. If you are a bit over Shiraz lately, but loving Grenache this is the go.
Fresh and bright in the glass with loads of joosy drinking appeal. Raspberry, plums, cherry and spice.
Supple and lush fruits on the palate with subtle contrasting fine tannins.

Tyrrell’s Hunter Valley Semillon 19 -
I was getting another bottle of the 23, but got this instead. What luck, it is delicious.
Straw colour. A little toast with just a few years on it. Sits in with the fruit rather than dominating it. Citrus, peach and herbs.
Length of flavour with some nice dry texture and clean, fresh acidity.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Opened up a 2016 Block 95 Cabernet from Parker Estate last night. Too young, but its one of those hard to store bottles and I need to make some room before the May Sami Odi delivery,

Pretty bad wine. Its gloopy and syrupy and missing freshness. Lots of fruit, but its dominated by a lot of charcoal - its like they dropped some coal into the bottle. Could only manage a couple of small glasses and will try again tonight. Shame, as I have enjoyed some of the Terra Rossa 1st Growth in the past.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Sean

Post by Sean »

Got this at the bottlo next door. Good luck finding it at the usual places. Thinking of joining the winery mailing list.

Wirra Wirra Scrubby Rise Sauvignon Blanc 23 - Adelaide Hills. A bit of everything, but it is more grassy than tropical fruited. Florals, honeydew, cut grass, nettles, gooseberry and herbs. I really like the subtle texture this has. Clean and fresh with lots of natural acidity.
Last edited by Sean on Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

2010 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay

An old favourite, the first bottle of a second case. Decanted and stuck into the fridge in the decanter for 12 hours. Lesson learned for previous bottles under early screwcap, any wine under this closure before about 2015 needs a long long time out of bottle.
Poured back into the bottle and off to the restaurant. Served just below room temperature, another must for any quality Aussie chardonnay.
Colour light white gold with a faint green tinge, looks like a three year old wine.
Absolutely first class fruit, pure white peach, hint of apricot, white flower, anise mint. Trace of oak still there, that will be gone in another five years. Superb length and volume, with immaculate balance. I've drunk a huge amount of non-Burgundy chardonnays over the past decade, particularly those from Aus, NZ and the USA, and this is, for my palate, head and shoulders above them, year in, year out. That includes plenty of Kistler and co., the cults from America.
Different profile to Meursault, but IMO, matches if not betters plenty of Puligny PC's, and the majority of Chassagne PC's. (and this is coming from a guy with more than 1000 bottles of white Burgundy in the cellar :roll: )
Drink: 2025-2045, 95pts.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Radical mate! Love it. But doesn’t the wine absorb the strong fridge smells?

Kistler gives me a headache.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2022 Bondar Voilet Hour Shiraz.
This is fantastic, lovely mixed spice, savoury with a lick of sweetness. Wave after wave of dark fruits and fine fine tannins. Andre Bondar has done really well here.
Purchased a dozen... might need more. Beautiful drinking now. Will pick up some Midnight Hour and Rayner in due course. 2022 is certainly looking the goods.
Cheers Craig

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

phillisc wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:51 pm 2022 Bondar Voilet Hour Shiraz.
This is fantastic, lovely mixed spice, savoury with a lick of sweetness. Wave after wave of dark fruits and fine fine tannins. Andre Bondar has done really well here.
Purchased a dozen... might need more. Beautiful drinking now. Will pick up some Midnight Hour and Rayner in due course. 2022 is certainly looking the goods.
Cheers Craig
Consistently one of the best VFM Shiraz out of the Vale. And lovely people too.

More of a Junto and Rayner Vineyard Grenache man myself these days, but still have some 2016, 2017 and 2018s of this.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Sean

Post by Sean »

Tyrrell’s Hunter Valley Shiraz 21 -
They have many Shiraz, this is an entry label I guess.
Whole berries, open fermenters and matured in 2,700 litre old French oak casks.
Lush red-purple colour. Red fruits, mulberry, spice and soft tannins.
Feels medium-bodied with subtle savoury and earthy notes.

Kumeu Village Chardonnay 22 -
Their entry level Chardonnay.
Got a mix of old oak barrels and stainless steel tank. Wild yeast and leesy influence, which is obvious.
Some colour in this and flinty/sulfide character early on. White peach, citrus, fig and funk.
Both fruit and oak fill out the palate. Feels a bit worked with a slightly savoury finish.

Bird in Hand Pinot Rose 23 -
A little skin contact and tank fermented.
Pink blush rather than salmon pink colour.
Musky and floral aromas with strawberry, red fruits, pear and pomegranate.
Some texture on the palate and a dry finish.

Petaluma White Label Chardonnay 23 -
Adelaide Hills fruit.
This could be the pick of the last few vintages. Same, but better.
Half in the tank and half in oak (mostly older barrels). Some solids and leesy influence.
Light straw colour. Citrus, stonefruit and spice. Clean fresh acidity and nice texture.

Hardys Tintara Shiraz 22 -
They run through a lot of different batches for this. The final blend is about balance (fruit and tannin) and the wine style they want.
How the wine feels, not just the fruit.
It goes through the old basket presses and gets a little new oak. Not much really.
Got the typical dark plum and chocolate of McLaren Vale shiraz. Some red cherry and spice too.
Relishing the soft tannins in this. I was literally sucking on the finish to savour it.

saturn5519

Post by saturn5519 »

Fantastic to read all the comments on various brands and varieties.

I know that it boils down to individual preferences,but it gives us novices an
idea of what to buy and what to steer clear of.

I was in our local Dans today and spotted a few bottles of 2023 drumborg on their
discount shelf for what was a good price.It seems riesling is not a good seller in
this store.