Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Matt@5453

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by Matt@5453 »

Some wines I tried over the last few weeks that were worth mentioning.

From the Clare Valley Wine Show earlier this month. The show was dominated by red wines this year mainly 2021’s which shows the strength of the growing season, ideal ripening conditions and great vintage, and some 2022 Grenaches were highlights too, being Kenny Wine (winemaker at Pikes) and Pauletts.

2023 Rieslings are looking very smart too. 2023 has been maligned in some respects across the State, Coonawarra and the South East were mostly a disaster, and many other regions suffering from disease pressure due to the rains – red wines have generally suffered, but there are always winners and losers, the Bradys described a very good vintage, I know other producers really happy with cabernet too (Where they missed the rain). But back to Riesling, as an earlier ripening variety it didn’t suffer like reds in 2023 – so still a strong year, but hard to top 2021 & 2022.

I tried these on the day, Rieslings:

2023 Pikes Traditionale - received the Best Riesling Trophy – it was very good on the day, lovely wine, with a nice mineral tone and some bath salts etc. quite delicate.
2023 Pikes The Merle looks attractive, a strong line of acidity
2023 Claymore Wines Superstition – a very strong showing, rated highly with winemakers too
2023 Penfolds Cellar Release Polish Hill River – this was excellent
2015 JB Florita – just starting to get in a nice zone

Reds:
2021 Jim Barry Barry Brothers Cabernet was pretty decent at its price point
2021 Jim Barry Single Vineyard The Farm Cabernet Sauvignon Malbec picked up a few gongs, but a very young wine, needing some time to iron out is ‘rawness’
2019 Pauletts Reserve 109 Shiraz and Cabernet were fine examples, particularly the Cabernet for me.

The following week, I put together a quick blind tasting last week to see how the Pikes Traditionale performed, 4 x 2023 Rieslings, with one outlier. Wines were Pikes Traditionale, Jim Barry Watervale, Taylors St Andrews and threw in a Henschke Eden Valley Peggy’s Hill. All good wines in their own right, styles and price points, but in a blind tasting The Pikes rated 3rd. The Peggy’s Hill was the stand out – lovely wine, Taylors St Andrews second, Pikes Third & Jim Barry Watervale fourth.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

I’ve been sampling a few old Petaluma wines this year purchased via auction and opened this last night. Cork quite a challenge to remove. Compost nose. Hint of fruit. Leather. In the mouth the fruit is still here, dark fruit. Tannic still, wow this has held together well. Plenty of structure. The first sip after a short decant this could be a bit thin on the finish… an hour later, nope, this has got carry - a really enjoyable old wine.

Cheers Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

cuttlefish wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:30 pm
Mike Hawkins wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:14 pm Ross I, I’m with you on Pegau…. Finding a bottle that isn’t defective seems to be the aberration
What are they like when they're good, because the only ones I've tried were quite bretty? Not particularly good value if they're undrinkable.

I have a few cases in the cellar. Bought direct from Europe and transported by reefer container with monitoring that triggers an insurance claim if air conditioning fails.

I didn’t pull out my Cuvee da Capo, I opened a six pack of Pegau 2011 Riserva. An odd buy considering my Piedmont obsessions and I vaguely recall it being a sale and $50 AUD comes to mind. I don’t want exaggerate deals when living in duty free Hong Kong but that’s probably about right as Pegau did fall out of favour.

The wine has Brett. My wife thought it glorious and this week we’ve had the greatest wines of Australia from magnum- Grange, Edelstone, Basket Press, Craiglee etc.

It is a very nice wine. The Brett debatably adds something for some whilst others would be critical. I don’t think anyone would pour it down the sink. There’s no chook poo nose nor that metallic or leather like palate.

That all said I would not want the wine from a warm cellar! It could be a different experience. I seriously question how wines are transported to the Aussie market. Hong Kong is sophisticated in its logistics amongst top purveyors though dodgy at the many etailer levels. Transporting fine wine properly is a cost and is done at various levels down to insulated only containers ( I avoid )

The 2011 Pegau Riserva is a good wine though wouldn’t serve it to a Aussie technocrat taster or somebody who is sensitive to Brett. Nor would I buy premium foreign wine locally without discussion of logistics. Let’s not forget Australia is probably the most expensive place in the free world to buy foreign wine so quality should be assured.

Sean

Post by Sean »

October -

Phaedrus Sparkling Pinot Noir Chardonnay NV - They don’t make a lot of this. Handpicked, wild yeast and 3 years on lees. Slow, fine bead and salmon coloured. Peach, stonefruit, some lingering, subtle brioche and a dry finish.

Mr Mick Clare Valley Rose 22 - Various red varietals go into this. Red coloured and musky aromatics. Clean and very fruit driven. Cherry, red fruits, vanilla, musk stick and a moderately dry finish.

Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz 20 - 2nd bottle that I’ve opened. Feels very smooth, but showing more oak flavour this time. Lots of blackberry, plum, cherry and spice. Fills out the mid-palate with all that fruit and oak. Sweet cocoa/mocha oak and big, powdery tannins.

Hesketh Eden Valley Riesling 22 - I had a bottle earlier in the year and this is pretty much the same. No surprise it still feels tight. It is made by Keeda Zilm, who also makes the Vickery riesling. Just combines grape and regional character so well. Straw coloured and florals. Robust lime and grapefruit with clean, steely acidity and some texture on a dry finish.

Penfolds Bin 407 Cabernet Sauvignon 20 - A pity this has got exy. Otherwise I would buy more and drink it more often. Sourced from major SA wine regions McLaren Vale, Barossa and notably Limestone Coast. Maturation for 15 months in both French and American oak. Deeply coloured with lovely leafy and cassis aromatics you often get in 407s. Got some nice intensity. Also the balance and Cab character I look for. Violets, blackcurrant, dark fruits, chocolate, kitchen herbs and smooth powdery tannin.

Mr Mick Clare Valley Riesling 22 - Light straw colour with citrus blossom, florals, lime and typical fresh acidity. A touch of fruit sweetness across the mid-palate, also a hint of kero. Or at least suggested it enough to make me think this will go kero over the next few years.

Xanadu Cabernet Sauvignon 15 - Matured for 14 months in French oak barrels, 40% new. Red-purple colour with lifted berry and slightly herbaceous aromas. Blackcurrant, mulberry, mint, bay leaf, red currants, some mellowed oak flavour and dusty tannins. Not the best vintage of this I’ve had recently. At this point in time it probably needs to go longer anyway.

Phaedrus Reserve Pinot Noir 21 - The fruit comes off a one acre block and gets their best barrels. Foot crushing, wild yeast, French oak and extended elevage. Ruby red colour and very aromatic. Cherry, red fruits, rhubarb and spice. Changes and builds on the palate with each glass. Notice the vice-like acidity in this rather than the soft tannin. Really good on release, but you should get some age on these Reserves.

Pepperjack Shiraz Cabernet 21 - Couldn’t be anything else, but a Barossa red. Dense red-purple colour and jumping out of the glass. Violets, mocha, dark berries, raspberry and licorice. Smooth with sweet, rich flavours and soft, powdery tannins.

Taylors Estate Riesling 23 - Green straw colour and a fresh, zesty style. Citrus blossom, lime, lemon and some tropical fruit. Usually a little fruit sweet, but this has been reined in. Loads of grapey acidity with a moderately dry finish.

Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 18 - I drank this over a couple of nights. Purpley and loads of cassis and dark berries. Initially smooth with some sweet, minty fruit on the mid-palate. Nice balance of fruit and tannin. It is also in a typical slow burn phase now, and feels a bit tight and dense. Will probably come up much better at the ten year mark and for a long time after that.

Wynns Black Label Shiraz 21 - The fruit comes from some of the oldest shiraz blocks in the Coonawarra, average age of vines is 75yo. Got 13 months in new and older French oak barrels. I drank this over a couple of nights, really starting to hit its straps on the second night. Lustrous red-purple colour. Pepper, mulberry, dark plums, aniseed and spice. Soft, velvety old vine fruit and beautifully integrated smooth dry tannins.

Penfolds Bin 21 Barossa Valley Grenache 22 - New bin. Matured in French oak, 6% new. The oak shouldn’t be all that important. I was expecting this to be plush and more fruit driven. Crimson red colour with legs in the glass and florals. It actually feels subdued and reticent after that however. Never really opened up. Raspberry, cherry, spice, herbs and some powdery tannin.
Last edited by Sean on Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

VinoEd wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:36 am I’ve been sampling a few old Petaluma wines this year purchased via auction and opened this last night. Cork quite a challenge to remove. Compost nose. Hint of fruit. Leather. In the mouth the fruit is still here, dark fruit. Tannic still, wow this has held together well. Plenty of structure. The first sip after a short decant this could be a bit thin on the finish… an hour later, nope, this has got carry - a really enjoyable old wine.

Cheers Ed
I drank a 1997 of the Petaluma a couple of weeks ago and it was superb, still fruity and oh so smooth! Only have one left unfortunately.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes a great label, that I have been following for a long time. Really rate the Riesling, Adelaide Hills Shiraz and of course Coonawarra. Seems old vintages aren't bringing a lot... might have to snap up a few.
Looks like a good bottle
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

mjs

Post by mjs »

VinoEd wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:36 am I’ve been sampling a few old Petaluma wines this year purchased via auction and opened this last night. Cork quite a challenge to remove. Compost nose. Hint of fruit. Leather. In the mouth the fruit is still here, dark fruit. Tannic still, wow this has held together well. Plenty of structure. The first sip after a short decant this could be a bit thin on the finish… an hour later, nope, this has got carry - a really enjoyable old wine.

Cheers Ed
Ed,
Looks like the decanter that Pennies were giving away with the St Henri. I've got one, but find it very disappointing, quality is crap
cheers, Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

mjs wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:57 pm

Cheers Ed
Ed,
Looks like the decanter that Pennies were giving away with the St Henri. I've got one, but find it very disappointing, quality is crap
cheers, Malcolm
Hi Malcolm, good eye. It is. I don’t mind it for a quick decant drinking at home without guests, save the Riedel for other occasions.
Cheers Ed

mjs

Post by mjs »

^^ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

yes, does its job
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Passing Clouds 2021 Maiden Gully Bendigo Shiraz.
$9 through Grays instead of CD price of $35

Big savoury core, dark fruits, spices, cool climate, big whack of oak, carries through to the palate with very firm tannins. This will last longer than me, popped the rest into a decanter. Have lots of PC from the 80/90/00s but 20 years since last purchase...good wine.

Cheers Craig

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Great deal on that Craig, well done.

I’m having a Clarendon Hills 2003 Cabernet tonight. Hinting at its maturity on the nose, still quite fruit driven and powerful. These wines are built to go the distant.

Cheers Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

A couple of enjoyable ones over lunch yesterday to celebrate the lads new abode.

1994 Wynns Michael (birth year). Cork out in one piece, 2 mm stained, perfect really. Noticeable browning on the rim.
Still had some primary notes of cherry, mixed spice. Good length on the palate and opened up well over an hour of so. Quite cool climate in the mouth. I think this had peaked, but continued to evolve with a lot of interest. Very enjoyable.

1992 Penfolds Grange, from a wetter/lesser year but a real surprise. Cork came out like sawdust, but very little ullage. Very dark purple/red, no hint of 31 years. Still very primary and palate opened with chocolate, sweet fruits and no discernible oak. Lovely twinge of sweetness leading to tannins that melted away. An excellent bottle methinks....with time left on the clock. Took the points with a rump steak.

Cheers Craig

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Another Wine Night with this theme being "Pinot from Anywhere” - Always a great theme as usually
there are a couple random wines in the mix. Tonight was no exception.

Event held mid October 2023

As usual, all wines served blind

Wine # 1 (Extra White) – 2013 Tolpuddle Chardonnay
Wonderful colour – youthful and bright. Straw/Hay yellow, tinge of green edge. Nose has lots of gooseberry’s and oatmeal. Quite nutty with almonds notes as well, top nose – different fruit profile as not a tropical / ripe nose. This isn’t restrained, but smells cooler climate.
Texture is something to behold, so silky and luscious – full bodied without being blowsy or overripe. This is the perfect style of modern chardonnay I enjoy. Everyone picks this as a 2019 vintage, and I can see why, that acid is still prominent – grapefruit acid line going from front to back, perfect back bone holding everything together. Belies its age, so vibrant on the palate, I can see why everyone thinks its 2019 and if it wasn’t my wine, I would agree with them. I can only imagine how harsh and unrelenting that acid would have been on release. Quite a lemon/citrus style of fruit, touch of white peach, more gooseberry and just the tiniest hint of cinnamon & vanilla oak. More raw and crunchy nuts, cashew maybe. Top wine, bottle goes very quickly as everyone reaches for a second pour. Has years and years left, drinking well now, screwcap and that acid will quite possibly live forever. Big Yes & my very first (and only bottle) Tolpuddle. Will be buying more.

Wine # 2 - 2007 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits-St Georges ‘Les Vaucrains’ 1er Cru
This look very old, bricked and blurring with some browning in the glass as well tinge of red though.
This has a super fruity nose, red fruits just leap out of the glass, not floral, but more dark cherry and some plummy type fruit on the nose. Doesn’t smell like a typical burg though, the nose is too fruity for that – missing that ‘burg’ character – some others disagree and its about a 50/50 split on the nose.
In the mouth though those burg tannins come racing through, lots of iron / ferrous type minerals, bitter tannins, strange tannin sensation, different. Lovely acid still there, those fruits are so powerful; beautiful fruit, perfectly ripe, plump and juicy but still doesn’t smell like a burg. Earthy notes start to come up, forest floor and dark fruits – Fantastic length, great wine. Drink now and 5+

Wine # 3 - 2016 Littorai Wendling Vineyard Block E Anderson Valley USA
Bright cherry red, youthful colour – so clear you can see the tablecloth underneath. Similar to the last wine, a very fruit driven style. Lots of raspberry, red cherry, strawberry notes, sweet fruits too. Not over ripe, but fruit forward. Lots of earthy tannins, feels new world, im mesmerised by that colour and clarity, really is captivating. Lots of florals, but red florals, rose petals, dried roses as well. Tannins are starting to come up with air and just adds to the complexity. Feels young (under 5 years), but the quality of those fruits is really the star here. Im convinced its new world, not sure where though. Length is fantastic, but its just that little bit young. Acid needs more time to settle down and integrate. Its not harsh or distracting, just young. Time will be very kind to this wine. Not my first Littorai either, high quality producer you can buy with confidence.

Wine # 4 2010 Albert Bichot Gevrey-Chambertin ‘Lavaux St-Jacques’ 1er cru
Playing the man, this is already going to be a burg without even looking. Nice colour here, touch older, tinge of red brick but only just starting its transition to secondary characters. Some very slight browning, nice earthy nose however, lots of spice – very different to all the wines before it. Chinese 5 spice, cloves, star anise – super spices here.
Lots of burg tannins, gravely which takes me to Gevrey straight away, and that’s what I choose. Got that one right at least! Darker red almost purple fruit style. Dark cherry, some plums and dark strawberry, but those spices really are something. Just adds this X factor together with the wet/dark earth and mushrooms. Im in the 10 -> 15 year old range. Fantastic length, fantastic wine.

Wine # 5 - 2018 Louis Roederer ‘Camille’ Mareuil-Sur-Ay Champagne
Young cherry red, darker than the Littorai but of similar age. Has a brightness and vibrancy to the colour usually reserved for young wines. Some aniseed and fennel on the nose, quite herbal and +
Blue fruits, violet florals and quite Beaujolais like in its flavour profile. Cant be French as there is no burg like this. Simple wine, no complexity and very short length. One dimensional and now we know why. It’s a trick wine! Yes its French but from Champagne….. tiny production very expensive, but they should stick to sparkling wine. This still wine isn’t doing it for me.

Wine # 6 - 2015 Serrat Close Planted Yarra Valley
Nice colour but again looks very old. Dark cherry, tinge of brown. Its blurry as well, not a great colour.
Flinty nose, with sulphur notes. Lots of sulphur actually and im getting some burnt rubber notes as well. Mature red fruits, soft tannin. Like the last wine, this is short in length and simple. No complexity and one dimensional, feels well past its drink by date and on the downhill slope. I guess this is 15 years old – oh how wrong I was. Poor storage surely is the reason here. Screwcap should not look or taste this bad, this young.

Wine # 7 - 2020 Cincuenta Y Cinco ‘Chacra’ Patagonia (Argentina)
Dark purple in colour, clarity and clear – young colour again and has a brightness/shine to it.
Lots of strawberry notes on the nose, strawberry compote, wet stone minerals, lovely nose and smells very inviting.
Unfortunately, that’s where all the fun ended. 3rd strike in a row for the group. Simple, short, one dimensional and lacking any complexity. Those red Fruits are subdued somewhat on the palate. Super young, painfully young really. Big disappointment from what has been heralded a wonderful wine. Its is certainly not a 95 or 96 point wine as some critics have rated. Closer to 88 or lower at this point in time. Wont be buying this again. Lucky its my one and only bottle and I expected a lot more. Hard Pass. Lucky my Tolpuddle was good!

Wine # 8 - 2012 Domaine Du Comte Liger-Belair Nuits St Georges ‘Aux Cras’ 1er Cru
Nice colour, some maturity but still clear. No bricking or blurring, but somehow you can just tell its got some age on it, darker and has lost its brightness/shine. Lots of that sulphur / flinty notes on the nose, its quite pungent. Not in a bad way, but does add some nice
This is a very masculine wine, stone minerals, charcoal / graphite type stuff, lots of dark fruits in here, with some black cherry, plummy notes and a touch of blueberry. Doesn’t have the power of GC fruit, so im in Premier Cur territory. Nuits St George due to those minerals. Wet, dark earth again that is rounded off my more flint and struck match. Nice wine with some good length. Dry/dusty tannin, but its probably at peak drinking now. Not sure its going to get better, but will hold for a fair while.

No finisher, but this was a great tasting with some great food and company.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Highlights from 2023 Clare Valley Benchmark Shiraz Tasting held earlier this week at the new Taylors Wines Cellar Door.

Mike Bennie (Halliday), Sam Barry (Jim Barry) & Andrew Quin (winemaker at Hentley Farm) led the panel.

The theme: Shiraz. 6 x brackets of six wines, served blind, with brackets ordered in price range. Lots of good banter and robust discussions on the wines. Lots of references to frisky, tension, complexity, aussie bush and a new term to me ‘al dente’ tannins. Almost all winemakers were on hand to talk to the wines once they were revealed.

Most wines were from 2021-2022, notably the strength of the excellent vintage and ripening conditions shone through for most of the wines, with most winemakers commenting the fruit picked at optimal times drive the wines, with most of them seeing 10-15% new french oak and balance in older oak.

Some of my impressions below:

Bracket 1 - $19-$28

Some fruit forward wines in this bracket, drinkability the focus here.

2 x standouts were:

2022 Taylors Heritage Shiraz, Clare Valley. This was very elegant, initial thoughts were it was from a cool climate region. A surprise wine, could easily have beaten the wines in the higher brackets

2021 Miss Zilm Shiraz Malbec, Clare Valley. Keeda was on hand to discuss the wine, very small amount of malbec that gives the wine a nice lift.

Bracket 2 - $32-$40

Overall, moving from drinkability to complexity

2 x stand outs were:

2019 Evans & Tate Redbrook Estate Shiraz, Margaret River. Easily identifiable as non-Clare. Lovely white pepper and spices, lovely nose. Medium bodied, a well-crafted wine

2022 Sussex Squire Thomas Block Shiraz, Clare Valley. Small producer, wine made by Dan Wilson. Ripe fruits, liquorice, fruit forward, nicely balanced oak. From 100% dry grown, low yields.

Bracket 3 $40-$50

Getting into some more serious wines here.

2 x Clare Valley stand outs were:

2020 Wines By KT 5452 Shiraz. Lovely fruit, acid, tannin balance.

2022 Bourke & Travers Shiraz. Seductive, textural, lots going on, very complex

In this bracket there were 3 x outliers:

2022 Battles Shiraz, Franklin River. I rated this, refined, elegant and lovely balance

2018 Tyrells Old Patch Shiraz, Hunter Valley. Raspberry notes, textural, acid/tannin tension, very good

2022 Agricola Kalimna Sands Shiraz, Barossa Valley. This was fruit forward but felt lacking any real structure. I thought it may have been a Rhone thrown in. Polarising for the group. I bought some of this on release, so first taste, I was disappointed actually, felt over ripe. Weakest wine of the bracket. However, it may have been its company at the time.

Bracket 4 $50-$65

Wines ranged from Vintage 2022-2016, but mostly 2021 or 2022. We saw lots of robust, fuller, richer styles

The Stand out was:

2021 Mt Horrocks Alexander Vineyard Shiraz. Silky texture, raspberry fruited, tobacco, excellent length and depth of flavour

Bracket 5 $70-$91

All vintage 2021-2022 wines. Some serious wines in here with structure to go 20-30 years easily.

Stand outs were:

2021 Wendouree Shiraz, Clare Valley. Deep core of plush fruit, ‘aussie bush’, judicious oak, fresh acidity and the ‘al dente’ tannins. Keep your hands off this for 10-15 years. well received by many, can be polarising, but not today.

2021 Skillogalee Trevarrick Shiraz, Clare Valley. Raspberry fruited, some jubes, great structure. Well made

A 2021 Te Mata Bullnose Syrah was in the bracket too. This had beautiful spice, textural, layered wine, quite delicate compared the rest of the bracket. Polarising to the group, some loved it, others not so much.

Bracket 6 - I missed it as I had to leave (pity)

A great teeth staining event!

JDSJDS

Post by JDSJDS »

2008 St Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon Coonawarra

Last of three bottles, and the best (of course). This is still a bit of beast, a big, rich, concentrated wine with a very dark colour, and a nice, classic nose of black fruits, mint and herbs. Full bodied on the palate, with a bit of cedar as well and the still healthy tannins giving excellent structure; big, but well balanced overall. A classic Coonawarra cab that has a long way to go yet, but worth trying now, as it improved a bit on the second day (A-).

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

Wine # 3 - 2016 Littorai Wendling Vineyard Block E Anderson Valley USA
Bright cherry red, youthful colour – so clear you can see the tablecloth underneath. Similar to the last wine, a very fruit driven style. Lots of raspberry, red cherry, strawberry notes, sweet fruits too. Not over ripe, but fruit forward. Lots of earthy tannins, feels new world, im mesmerised by that colour and clarity, really is captivating. Lots of florals, but red florals, rose petals, dried roses as well. Tannins are starting to come up with air and just adds to the complexity. Feels young (under 5 years), but the quality of those fruits is really the star here. Im convinced its new world, not sure where though. Length is fantastic, but its just that little bit young. Acid needs more time to settle down and integrate. Its not harsh or distracting, just young. Time will be very kind to this wine. Not my first Littorai either, high quality producer you can buy with confidence.

if you can find any 2018 of this, grab it. Stoopid, stoopid good.

Sean

Post by Sean »

November -

Chapel Hill The Parson Sangiovese Rose 23 - Really enjoyed this Rose and will probably drink it again over summer. Salmon pink colour. Cherry, raspberry and musky. Some texture and subtlety with a dry finish.

Katnook Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 18 - Aged for 18 months in French oak. Deeply coloured. Cassis, mulberry, dried herbs, cedar, spice and earthy. Showing the red dirt character. Smooth, harmonious intensity through the palate with fine grained tannins, and balanced. The aftertaste just goes on and on.

Sidewood Pinot Gris 22 - I have drunk a few bottles of this. Wild yeast and French oak barrel influence. Straw coloured. Pear, citrus, melon and spice. It has a telltale tangy character, which is not just the acidity, more so this vintage. Some texture and a dry finish.

Mumm Cordon Rouge Champagne NV - Opened this while we watched the Melbourne Cup. Gold colour and lots of bead. Biscuit, peach, candy, brioche and quite dry on the finish.

Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 13 - I have drunk a number of 13s and it is developing very slowly. This is still purpley. Cassis, blackberry, mint and spice. Feels full-bodied. Some earthy character with age on it and smoother tannins. But no hurry with this, another 10 yrs is the go.

Tempus Two Gruner Veltliner 21 - This is starting to develop more colour and body. Gold straw colour. Citrus, pear, tropical fruit and spice. Some texture with a very pleasant smooth, honeyed finish.

Peter Lehmann The Bond Grenache 21 - Aged for 14 months in French and American oak. Garnet red colour and nice florals. Showing the fruit rather than oak and medium-bodied. Raspberry, cherry, spice and soft tannins.

Grant Burge Filsell Old Vine Shiraz 16 - Just too tempting in the wine fridge, and drinking another one. Blackberry, plum, red fruits, chocolate and earth. Feels smooth with harmony of fruit, subtle spicy oak and some aged character. Long with soft, dusty tannins.

Peter Lehmann Stonewell Shiraz 16 - A blend of fruit from a handful of Barossa growers. All about depth of colour and fruit intensity. Got 19 months in French oak. Luxuriant purple colour. Dark berries, plums, aniseed, chocolate and spice. Some earth as it opens up. Big, beautiful tannins and so is everything else. A bit warm, but smoother now. All the time in the world if you have it.

Taylors Reserve Parcel Riesling 23 - Clare Valley. Pale colour and citrus blossom aromatics. Feels like a punchy, free-run style, this is pristine clean and fresh. Soft with subtle acidity. Limes, minerals, herbs and a slatey dry finish.

Grant Burge Fifth Generation Sav Blanc 21 - Adelaide Hills. Maybe not as pungent as when it was first released. But this has obvious grassy aromatics and strong varietal character. Got some nice intensity. Gooseberry, tropical fruit, cut grass, herbs and loads of natural acidity.

Sidewood Chardonnay 22 - Not done a note on this for a while, and I have drunk a few. A bit more yellow colour and slowly evolving. Citrus, stonefruit and subtle spicy/toasty oak, with some nice texture filling out the palate.
Last edited by Sean on Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

After being a little disappointed by the last 2 bottles of the humble Mildara 2006 Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon the last was bang on. Dark in colour with some secondary colours developing. Deep dark black and blue fruits on the nose and palate was complimented by some well integrated oak (perhaps a tad too much but I love oak). Tannins prominent but not excessively. Acid still lively which with the tannins should carry the slowly developing secondary phase with ease for another 5+ years. Started falling over slowly after about 4 hours. Great balance and Coonawarra to a tee. As usual should have bought more.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Im slow on my notes again, this event back in early November 2023.

Theme was Special wines from Piedmont, Tuscany or Sicily - as it was a bit of an Xmas special

All wines served blind

Wine # 1 (Extra White) – 2016 Domaine Parigot ‘Le Limozin’ Meursault
Gold in colour, deep yellow gold, could indicate a bit of age and development.
Very nice nose here, sweet orchard fruits, candied lemon, touch of curd and some nuttiness.
Lots of wet stone minerals, nice line of lemony acid too. I mistakenly think its Italian chardonnay, possibly timorasso… didn’t pick it as French (sigh – not a great start). Some hazelnuts in the mouth, touch of wild fennel and nicely handled oak. Really that’s the key to this wine, oak is playing a supporting role. Cuddles and caresses rather than dominating. Good length, but not one of the white burg ‘greats’ – Missing something fruit power I think. Drinking very nicely now would happily buy as a drink now proposition. Not a long term cellar option. Good start!

Wine # 2 – 2012 GB Burlotto 'Cannubi' Barolo

Sadly this was not quite right. - I feel its TCA affected and maybe a touch scalped.

Wine # 3 – 2009 Roagna Barbaresco Asili
Corked Ox ....Dam☹
Two duds from two people - not a good start

Wine # 4 – 2012 Il Marroneto ‘Madonna delle Grazie’ Brunello di Montalcino
Quite a striking colour, dark ruby red in the glass, reddish rim. Looks quite young. Slightly muted nose initially, probably needed some more time in the decanter. Eventually comes up with some air. Dark cherry fruit, a hint of blackberry and some other purple/dark fruits; plum maybe? – Thick oak, lathered on and gives that toasty oak character with some vanilla bean & spice. Very silky texture, coffee grounds and black mineral/graphite characters. Length is quite something, hangs around in the mouth. Powerful fruits, even more powerful oak, and the oak is winning at this stage. Long life left, too oaky for me at this stage, needs more time to calm down and integrate. 10+ years easily but I can tell it’s a great wine.

Wine # 5 – 2011 Giuseppe Mascarello Monprivato
Absolute worst case of VA I have ever come across. It was so bad it had actually turned vegetal, had this bacterial infection nose going on. Very sad panda ☹
Did not expect this fault from a Mascarello

Wine # 6 – 2007 Sandrone Luciano Cannubi Boschis
Another dark almost black cherry colour in the glass. No red rim though, this is more a dark ruby. Very earthy nose, dark earth and quite a hit of oak too, dominating the nose.
There are some lovely soft, grainy tannins in the mouth. That’s the first thing that
Similar to the nose, there is a lot of oak here, fruits only just poking through, nice fruits and clearly high quality but completely masked by that oak – such a shame.
At first I thought it may be a Brunello with all that oak, but the tannin and acid profile was all wrong, I went modern producer from La Morra. More earth with a fair hit of oak spice, tar and dark fruit.
Not sure if it will ever come around, but it still has a long lift yet. Not even beginning to peak.

Wine # 7 (backup from #2) – 2014 Biondi-Santi Rosso di Montalcino
Well what do we have here, something completely different in both the nose and colour.
Light cherry red, touch of blurring but no discolouration, more like it was unfined or unfiltered.
Very mineral nose, very fruity nose as well – red fruits, cherry, red currants ect
Took a bit to open in the glass – but when it did; wow
Soft tannin, dry and dusty – so very elegant. Some very pure red fruits, strawberries in particular, and bright red new seasons cherry. Lovely acid spine that is really needed to hold everything together, little to no oak, if there is it was only large old oak botti; just the way I like it.
Very high-quality fruits, nice length without being amazing – probably my only gripe on what is a wonderful wine.
Perfectly, just ripe and perfumed fruit, lots of dried roses and potpourri
Have never seen this wine before, apparently not made every year. Not sure if that makes it rarer than the standard Biondi-Santi but its drinking very well now. Feels like its at or very near its peak though, will hold for a while.

Wine # 8 – 2008 Giuseppe Mascarello Monprivato
Another light and bright red cherry coloured wine. Very clear, much clearer than the Rosso, however there is some browning starting to creep in. Im sure its just age though rather and Ox or a fault. Nose smells pretty good, but there is touch of VA, lets hope it blows off. Lots of red florals on the nose, different to the Rosso, but still intoxicating. Heady perfume of rose and rosewater; this is a very feminine wine. Really gentle and elegant. Soft and dry tannin coats the mouth, wonderful structure. Probably want a little more fruit/power in the mouth, but it could be due to age, no real secondary characters but the tannin and acid are slightly overpowering the fruit. It’s not really an issue if im honest this is a good wine.
VA is still there and is a little distracting, doesn’t ruin the wine but it means its not one of the great monprivato bottles we have had.

Wine # 9– 2012 Cerbaiona Brunello di Montalcino
A darker looking wine here, but young and bright still. Dark red with an orange tinge to the
Rim. Still nice and clear in the glass though. Lovely lifted red cherry fruit on the nose, sweet spices,
And a hint of regional herb, sage in particular, dried thyme and tarragon. However in the mouth is where the confusion starts to set in for me, those tannins are grainy and prominent. Darker plummy type fruit, some spice, a hint of acid as well. The nose told me Tuscany, but the tannins lean more towards Piedmont. Silky mouthfeel, I really love the balance this wine has at present. Everything just where it should be – it’s the real star here. High quality fruits, confusing tannin, oak not overpowering or excessive so I don’t know what to choose……. Reluctantly go Tuscany due to the lack of tar, strawberry fruits (why I didn’t choose Piedmont). Length fantastic, good wine here – never heard of this producer so another cherry popped!

Wine # 10 (backup from #5) – 2006 Biondi-Santi Bruello di Montalcino
Another young coloured wine here, again very clear in the glass, I can see the table cloth, no sign f aging or bricking… or browning. What colour – Darker Strawberry red, glistens and shines though like its had a good polish. Nose is nothing but pure fruit, absolute delight and I can smell this all night. One of those rare wines where you think to yourself, do I even need to taste this….. will it deliver what the nose promises. New Season Strawberry, bright red cherry, intoxicating red rose florals, perfume leaps out of the glass, small touch of basil or oregano maybe? Sensory experience here – basking in the glory of whatever this is – but you can tell its EXPENSIVE and at the pinnacle of top tier producers.
Ok lets taste, yeah wow. The first thing you notice is the silky mouthfeel, its such an experience. No oak to be seen, plays a supporting role only – all red fruits, pure fruits with some cranberry acidity that adds complexity and balance…. and that length, just goes on and on. Fine grained tannins, elegant as well dances around the tongue. More roses and spice, nice subtle Tuscan herbs this is so feminine. Bottle goes very quickly and everyone sits in a stunned type of silence for just a moment.

Wine # 11 (backup from #3) – 2007 Salvioni Brunello di Montalcino
Much darker in the glass than the previous wine, nice colour but it looks like an oak type of colour.
Nose has lots of purple fruit, plums, blueberries, sweet fruit though, not rich or overripe, just sweet.
You can smell the oak on the nose though which is prominent.
Geeze that fruit has a lot of weight and power behind it….. super quality fruit, similar to the nose its all blackberries and blueberries. Touch of pepper spice type things happening, but the oak has been swallowed up by that fruit. Its not as prominent as the nose suggests, and its actually quite a nicely balanced wine. Exceptional length probably a touch ripe in the mouth, although it doesn’t feel hot or alcoholic at all. Those fruits …. Pack a big punch.

Wine # 11 + 12 (finisher) – In an interesting take on tasting, the presenter gave everyone blindfolds and masks before pouring. Have never done this before, so will be very interesting.

Left Glass – 2010 Donnafugata ‘Ben Rye’ Passito Di Pantelleria
Nose is just pure Apricot Juice, straight out of the tin. Apricot syrup, orange rind/zest and some vanilla notes. I cant describe the colour due to the blindfold – In the mouth is a rich and thick. Viscosity of olive oil. I think I have had this before and it’s the Donnafugata. Not sure of what year I had or what this is, but the apricot syrup gave it away. Lots of baking spice in the mouth, cinnamon and cloves. Vanilla florals and just more and more apricots. I love this wine, love the intensity and love the length.
Fruit and silky texture are just sublime.

Right Glass - 2010 Franz Haas Moscato Rosa ‘Alto Adige’
This feels and smells not quite right. There is a very slight oxidative note on the nose that flows into the palate. Feels like a fortified red, but not a port or tawny. More like a table wine that’s had added fortification of some sort or added port? Not sure.
I think this could be past it or on the downhill slope. Is this a red wine? Has some blueberry and darker red fruit characters. Would like to try a better example to make more notes.

Regardless some super wines and very generous people - wonderful evening

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Ouch! Hitting that failure rate is especially tough given the pricing level and expectation of the bottles in question.

On that last wine I certainly remember finding it interesting but unusual (even challenging) when I've drunk it. In youth, the somewhat bitter tannins were a big shock, and the alcohol a bit spiky, whilst at about a decade old, the rough edges were subsiding and I thought it had further potential.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Ian S wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:51 pm Ouch! Hitting that failure rate is especially tough given the pricing level and expectation of the bottles in question.

On that last wine I certainly remember finding it interesting but unusual (even challenging) when I've drunk it. In youth, the somewhat bitter tannins were a big shock, and the alcohol a bit spiky, whilst at about a decade old, the rough edges were subsiding and I thought it had further potential.
Yep, in my limited experience it seems Italian wines have a higher fault rate % than other countries/Regions (maybe with the exception
of Rhone) . Most of the time its cork related issues, but im sure there are transport considerations as well.

It would be interesting to hear from others if they are experiencing the same failure rate, or its just limited to our small wine group.

Regardless its a real shame considering the prices some of these wines are demanding.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Lovely long lunch with dear friends. Some bubbles and whites to get started on. Then a few reds:
Wirra Wirra 1998 Penley. This was fabulous such length, still very primary dark blue fruits. Wonderful tannins, sweet ness, generous mouth feel and firm finish. Will keep the other bottle 5 years
Wendouree 2006 Shiraz, inky black wonderful nose, great mouth feel plush rich, so approachable but concensus was an easy 20 years. Brilliant wine.
2001 Seppelts St Peter's. Wine of the day, earthy savoury cool in the mouth. Very fine structure but like the above 2 wines great balance, richness, sweetness such a delight. These old St Peter's demand 20 plus years.
2013 Wynn's BL Cab. Lovely nose, smoky characters, black olive. A pup, don't look at one for another decade. Great potential but quite overshadowed by the others.
Great food and company
Cheers Craig

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

A couple of bottles on Monday with a couple of mates….

2012 Pol Roger Winston Churchill… first time with this vintage. Reminded me of the old strawberries and cream lollies we ate as kids. Lovely rounded mouthfeel and pretty good length. Confirms why Pinot dominant champers did well in this vintage. Nicely intergrated but has decades left.

2004 Hobbs Gregor Shiraz…. Forgot I had this. Surprised me with how good it was. Midway into the secondary characteristics. Plum and chocolate with a whiff of cedar. Many years left of pleasant drinking

Sean

Post by Sean »

December -

Sidewood Shiraz 21 - Adelaide Hills. Wild yeast and 15 months in French oak. Deeply coloured. Dark plums, forest berries, rhubarb, chocolate and spice. Getting into it, there’s a really nice sweet earth note. This feels warm and spicy with some firm tannin.

Penfolds Max’s Chardonnay 19 - I opened a couple of bottles of this. One of them a little more developed than the other. Light gold colour. Melon, stonefruit, spice and a strong toasty oak character.

Sidewood Sauvignon Blanc 23 - Picked over two weeks, free-run and some lees contact in the tank. Very little colour and really fresh. Banging intensity. Citrus, cut grass, tropical fruit, nettles and clean acidity with a moderately dry finish.

Sidewood Pinot Noir 22 - Some whole bunch and whole berry ferment, wild yeast and 10 months in French oak. Lighter style with obvious pinot character. Ruby colour and fragrant. Cherry, red fruits, rhubarb and spice. Opens up nicely in the glass showing some forest floor and soft tannins.

Sidewood Mappinga Chardonnay 20 - Some whole bunch, wild yeast and ten months in French oak. This has filled out and showing nice subtlety with an extra year on it. Straw colour. White peach, tropical fruit, figs and spice. Feels softer and rounder. No hurry with this however.

Penfolds Bin 407 Cabernet Sauvignon 15 - Deeply coloured and legs in the glass. Blackberry, cassis, cherry, cedar and wood spice. Loads of intensity. This is much too oaky and warm, however, which detracts a lot from enjoying it. Rich, dense fruit showing the house style and sleek, smooth tannins.

Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz 15 - A 53/47 blend and 12 months in American oak, a third were new barrels. Deep, inky purple and nice florals. Cassis, sweet dark fruit, aniseed, vanilla oak and a grippy, powdery mouthfeel. Rich berry fruit, pretty good balance of fruit and oak with strong, robust tannins. This is probably just showing its structure and potential rather than anything else I think.

Annie’s Lane Clare Valley Riesling 23 - Green straw colour. Bell clear varietal character. Florals, lemon/lime and grapey mouthfeel. All about the brilliant simplicity of fruit and acidity with a clean, dry finish.

Pikes Traditionale Riesling 23 - Won a trophy for Best Riesling at the 2023 Clare Valley wine show. This is much too easy to drink. Light straw colour and flowery aromatics. Limes, tropical fruit and talcum. Really fresh and fruit driven with subtle acidity and a moderately dry finish.

Tempus Two Riesling 23 - Green straw colour and very aromatic. Lime, talcum and herbs. Feels lush and even a little fruit sweet on the palate with gentle, mouthwatering acidity.

Taylors Reserve Parcel Riesling 22 - Light straw colour. Citrus pith, fresh limes and bath salts. I have drunk a few bottles over this year, and it is filling out a bit more now. Really good fruit character and acidity.

Jim Barry Watervale Riesling 23 - The 50th vintage label. Light straw colour and florals. This is clean and linear with obvious varietal character. Lemon/lime, apple, herbs and loads of zippy fruit driven acidity.

Sidewood Sparkling Pinot Noir Chardonnay NV - A 60/40 blend. Wild yeast ferment initially and some of the Chardonnay got malo. The secondary ferment using Charmat or tank method. Slow, steady bead. Strawberry, stonefruit and cashew. Fresh tasting rather than overly bready with a dry finish.

Sidewood Sparkling Pinot Rose NV - 100% Pinot Noir and extended time on lees. This is under Diam closure like all of their sparklings. A pale salmon colour and steady bead. It has 8 g/L dosage, and there’s a bit of residual sugar on the palate. Florals, cherry, peach with subtle brioche and secondary influences.

Chambers Rutherglen Muscat - A 750ml bottle and under screwcap. Deep ruby colour. Loads of raisin, Turkish delight and dried fruit. Luscious, ultra smooth and ridiculously delicious with a toffee and brandy spirit finish.

Henschke Peggy’s Hill Riesling 23 - Not much colour, a hint of green perhaps. Lime, grapefruit, citrus rind, talcum and florals. A bit of Eden Valley austerity with this I suppose. Steely acidity running through it and a chalky dry finish.

Leo Buring Clare Valley Riesling 23 - Light straw colour. Florals, minerals and typical lemon/lime. The lemon coming through a bit more in this vintage. Feels tighter and firmer than some others, with deep acidity wound through it and a dry finish.

Jansz Premium Cuvee NV - Tasmania. A 66/34 blend of Chardonnay and PN. Got 18 months tirage. Pale gold colour and steady, fine bead. Citrus, strawberry, nougat and creamy texture with a lingering dry, bready finish.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Found a 1987 Seppelts Sparkling Burgundy in the cellar. Outstanding wine for a cheapy. Licorice, earth and chocolate notes. The only issue was the dosage was quite noticeable.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2012 Lindemans St George...lovely wine, but way way way too early to drink, especially under stelvin. All cigar box, herbs, fine graphite like pencil shavings , finished very well.
2023 Seppelts Drumborg Riesling, very fine and delicate, almost fragile. Good wine, but the 2022 has it covered. Will leave the rest for a while.

Cheers Craig

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

C7E71371-69B7-446E-8000-053E0AE24108.jpeg
A7DD16F5-A126-4F91-8C05-56F2BA7C73E4.jpeg
F14004CB-648C-43F7-8CA5-E8FD8A73913E.jpeg
Met up with Cuttlefish at midday on New Years Day for a birthday lunch. Wives came along as well, so it was not quite 5.5 bottles between 2 (although Trudi was driving).

2 corked wines (the Sparkling Sepplt and a ‘16 Faivley 1er Cru) put a bit of a downer on the occasion, but luckily we came with a lot of backups.

Star for me was the Bedrock white, which was a barrel fermented Sauv/Semillon blend of the highest quality. Just oozed fruit and coated the tongue. Forgot how much I liked this style. It just piped the Envinate, which was a killer with the Salt and Pepper Whitebait. Very saline with plenty of acidity and oyster shell. Again, I’d forgotten how good Envinate and the Canaries can be.

Of the reds I prefer the Chinon. Last bottle and the first to be drinking really well. The Etna wine was probably a bit closed and apparently is drinking really well today. Fun to try both though with the Peking Duck.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Another bottle of '23 Drumborg Riesling
Beautiful, all class , lovely texture whiff of acid...brilliant with a Thai green chicken curry :wink:
Cheers Craig

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

We had a nice chimichurri salmon last night, so I thought I'd break out one of the 2012 Dr Mayer. Ordinarily these lighter Pinots are not my cup of grape, but when something is done so well, you just have to be amazed (and delighted). I'm not good at describing these styles, but it smelled delicious and tested even better. Luckily we finished the salmon quickly and were able to linger over the last glass or two. And there's even two left (at least) in the cellar!
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."

Sean

Post by Sean »

January -

Pierre D’Amour Rose 23 - The French name, bottle shape and coral coloured wine give this the look of a Provencal rose. But it is a Riverland wine from Calabria Family Wines. Made using shiraz and a couple of Italian varietals aglianico and negroamaro. Flowery candy aromatics. Subtle red fruits, cherry and musk stick with a savoury dry finish.

Peter Lehmann The Bond Grenache 18 - Got this 18 at the bottlo next door, I spotted it among the current vintage 21s they have and grabbed it. PL Grenache tends to be an old school, rich Barossa style. This is 14% alcohol and shows a bit of that. Ruby coloured with raspberry, cherry and spice. No slowing down with some bottle age. Generous, some warm and rustic drinkability and soft tannins.

Merricks Estate Chardonnay 22 - This is the old malo style, but really smart the way they went about it. Half the fruit picked, wild yeast and barrels went through malo. The other half picked 10 days later, skin contact, inoculated yeast and malo. Straw colour and great aromas. Stonefruit, French oak spice, grilled nuts with both fresh acidity and a buttery feel to it, and long.

Wickhams Road Yarra Valley Chardonnay 23 - Sourced from two vineyards in Upper Yarra. Yellow straw colour. Slow to open up, you have to wait a bit for that. Subtle stonefruit, citrus, spice and a slightly powdery textural feel to it.

Hoddles Creek Estate Pinot Gris 23 - Not like any PG you would usually drink. The winemaking is a little different I suppose. Most of it handpicked into bins, foot stomped, then put into old oak barrels. A smaller portion made basically like a red wine. So it gets lots of skin contact, which you see in the pink copper colour. Musky with red fruits, pear, sultana and some obvious phenolics.

Wickhams Road Yarra Valley Pinot Noir 23 - Second label, but bang on for varietal character and VFM. Got 20% whole bunch, no fining or filtration. Lighter fresh style with fruit intensity. Ruby colour and very aromatic. Cherry, plums, spice and earthy. Soft and supple on the palate with subtle tannins.

Tenuta Ulisse Montepulciano d’Abruzzo DOC 21 - No oak, this had 4 months in stainless steel tank. Strong colour with lush red fruits and flowery aromatics. Loads of raspberry, cherry, dried herbs and spice. This is wonderfully fresh on the palate. Got those Italian slow, dry tannins and a subtle savoury finish.

Hoddles Creek Estate Chardonnay 22 - Yellow straw colour in the glass. Some nice stuff going on in this. Peach, citrus, spice and tangy acidity. The oak is pretty obvious, but it is balanced with the fruit matching up with the oak. More prevalent is the chalky mouthfeel, which detracts a little from enjoying it.

Hoddles Creek Estate Chardonnay 23 - Handpicked, whole bunch pressed, full solids and 11 months in oak barrels. Straw coloured with tinges of green. Citrus, stonefruit and spice. Some texture, but this is much more about flavour. Nicely balanced with subtle oak and fresh, pristine acidity.

Cape Mentelle White Label Chardonnay 22 - Not the estate label. But the fruit will come from 1 or 2 of the 4 vineyards they have. You would rip through this without noticing anything, there isn’t much in it. Straw colour and clean. Understated, with more oak flavour than the fruit perhaps. Florals, stonefruit, melon and spicy oak.

Artisans of Barossa Barrel Blend Grenache 21 - A blend from barrels selected by the winemakers out of each of their cellars. Ruby colour and a little warm. It is 14.5% alcohol. Not a lush or simple grenache however. Cherry, red fruits, aniseed and spice. Some oaky/savoury texture and subtle tannin.