Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Rossco

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by Rossco »

phillisc wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:58 pm Thanks Rossco
Have a sixer of the 02 St Peters, so thanks for the note. I'm encouraged that you found it a monster, cork willing, might open one in a decade.
A similar view expressed on another forum, so no hurry to drink. I think you are also correct about the tension regarding fruit allocation. 2002 I believe, was a very small make.
A '99 that I had in 2021 was in my top 5 wines for the year...absolutely pristine Shiraz with so much depth.

Cheers Craig
This bottle was a screw cap, so im sure there will be some variation between the cork and screw, however it was a monster.

I have had many 04 & 08 Show Reserve Sparkling and are one of my absolute favourites!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Rossco wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:36 pm
phillisc wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:58 pm Thanks Rossco
Have a sixer of the 02 St Peters, so thanks for the note. I'm encouraged that you found it a monster, cork willing, might open one in a decade.
A similar view expressed on another forum, so no hurry to drink. I think you are also correct about the tension regarding fruit allocation. 2002 I believe, was a very small make.
A '99 that I had in 2021 was in my top 5 wines for the year...absolutely pristine Shiraz with so much depth.

Cheers Craig
This bottle was a screw cap, so im sure there will be some variation between the cork and screw, however it was a monster.

I have had many 04 & 08 Show Reserve Sparkling and are one of my absolute favourites!
Ahh yes, good point, the '99 was under cork, about the time Sepplets swung over to screw cap...will have a look when next down in the cellar to see what the '02 is under.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

DJ1980

Post by DJ1980 »

Had an incredible tasting over the weekend.

2002 Louis Roederer Cristal - I liked this the most out of the 2 Champagnes. I was the only one though. Beautiful line of acidity. Agreed that we didn't think it would get better, just older.
2002 Dom Perignon P2 - Darker colour than the bottle I tried 6 months ago. Quite rich BUT slightly flabby to me. Needed food.

2005 Domaine Armand Rousseau Clos de la Roche - Holy smokes. This was incredible. Violets and sweet cherry. Talc and powdery tannin. The length was staggering. We are talking minutes. Just incredible.

1947 Borgogno Barolo Riserva - Long gone
2012 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Francia - God these are good. Roses and charcuterie. Olives and red fruits. Full bodied and a baby. Will be stunning in 10 years.

1982 Chateau Mouton Rothschild. - Beautiful colour and just a classic Claret. Cabernet at it's finest. No rush tbh.

2001 Chateau d'Yquem - Literally had tears in my eyes after experiencing this wine. This sat me back in my chair. One of the greatest wines I have ever had.

Sean

Post by Sean »

September -

Phaedrus Pinot Gris 23 - 2023 was a challenging vintage, lots of wet weather and low yields. Whites will be OK, maybe not the reds. A warmer site probably helped however. Some skin contact before pressing gives this a blush of colour. Tank fermented, no oak. Loads of clean varietal character. Musky with pear, apple and spice. Soft and florally and a moderately dry finish.

Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 20 - Got 16 months in French oak barrels, 21% new. Deep purple colour. Cassis, mulberry, mint, cedar, olive and herbs. The latter indicative of the vintage I would think. This is plush on the mid-palate and medium-bodied coming in at 13.9% alc, which is typical of recent BLs. Slightly grippy tannins, but feels balanced. This could be a sleeper if you keep it.

Seppelt Gruner Veltliner 18 - This is starting to sweeten up. Like eating sweet oranges on a warm summer day with the juice running down your arm. A little straw colour, not too much. Citrus, pear, spice and some nice subtle texture. Really enjoying the contrast of tangy acidity and long honey/toasty finish.

Phaedrus Fume Blanc 22 - The SB fruit is brought in from another vineyard. Free run juice, wild yeast, older French oak barrels and some lees stirring. Light gold colour. Tropical fruit, spice, vanilla pod and fresh acidity.

Phaedrus Fiano 23 - This is early picked, lightly pressed, wild yeast and tank fermented. It is made in a way that retains fruit character and fresh acidity. Straw colour with subtle stonefruit and typical floral/spicy character.

Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz 21 - Drank this over a couple of nights. Didn’t change too much. All American oak for 12 months, 37% new. A dense purple colour. Blackberry, dark plums, spice, mint and loads of sweet mocha oak. Those powdery tannins are well… powdery. Robust and warm. Elemental and needs time if you like the style. Just feels like it has come off a factory bottling line however.

Miceli Iolanda Pinot Grigio 19 - This is made in the Italian style, though picked at different times. Natural acidity features in the wine. Buckets of grapes go directly into the press and fermentation is at ambient temp, so this is hands-on small batch and fairly rudimentary winemaking. Some leesy influence. It feels real. Straw coloured and musky. Citrus, pear, honeydew and a slightly savoury, dry finish.

Katnook Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 13 - Another bottle of this and it has probably hit a sweet spot with 10 years on it. Purpley and aromatic. Really opens up in the glass. Both American and French oak, and I’m guessing that was about getting structure without the obvious flavour. A nice subtle mix of oak/fruit in any case. Showing cassis, mulberry, dried herbs, chocolate and some earthy aged character. Smooth tannins and long.

Miceli Lucy’s Choice Pinot Noir 18 - They are 250m above sea level on a steep slope at Arthurs Seat. Red soil, close planting and Scott Henry trellising. Red grapes are crushed directly into an open fermenter. Goes into a mix of barrels. Small batch made, but there is only one Pinot. Ruby red colour. Strawberry, cherry, rhubarb and spice. Some forest floor as it opens up more in the glass and soft tannins.

Trofeo Estate Amphora Chardonnay 22 - Estate fruit, organic farming methods and matured in terracotta amphora. Light gold colour and some struck match early on. Citrus, nectarine, peach and loads of rich leesy, savoury influences. Feels silky with fresh acidity and a dry finish.

St Hallett Faith Shiraz 22 - This is soft and fruit driven. Blackberry, cherry, spice with moderate tannin and a savoury dry finish.

Vickery Watervale Riesling 22 - Sourced from 7 different vineyards with vines dating back to the 70s. Loads of varietal character getting the most out of a really good vintage. Pale straw colour and musky. Super clean on the palate and minerally acidity. Citrus blossom, lime juice, grapefruit, green apple and a dry finish.

Annie’s Lane Clare Valley Riesling 23 - Bang on for varietal character and value for money. Light straw colour and floral aromatics. Loads of fresh lime, lemon, talcum and spice. Clean, very fruit driven and refreshing with punchy acidity.

Brand’s Laira Blockers Cabernet Sauvignon 18 - Nice Coonawarra feel to this. Matured in French and American oak barrels. Some bottle age has smoothed it out. Cassis, mulberry, bay leaf, spice and dusty, sweet oak. Long savoury finish with moderate tannin.

Trofeo Estate Amphora Shiraz 20 - They are at Dromana, which is a warmer part of Mornington Peninsula. Estate fruit and aged in amphora, not oak barrels. A bit slow to get going. Pinot like colour. Blackberry, rhubarb, spice, dried herbs and earth. I was expecting the fruit character to come to the fore. Rather it is a little savoury, with some serious tannin.

Leo Buring Clare Valley Riesling 22 - Simply the result of the grape and vintage, without any fuss or adornment. Clear and pale, with citrus blossom, lime and lemon pith. Clean, linear, loads of tangy natural acidity and a chalky, dry finish.

Trofeo Estate Amphora Pinot Noir 21 - The pick of the 3 wines I got. A lighter style indicated by the rose red colour and aromatic feel of it. Wild yeast and aged in amphora. Lots of varietal character. Rose petal, strawberry, cherry and herbs. Fills out and changes in the glass, but so very recognisable as pinot.

Vickery Watervale Riesling 23 - Rieslings from the 2023 vintage could turn out to be very good. This bottle went pretty quick. Light straw colour with delicate florals. Citrus blossom, talcum, lime and herbs. Feels almost lush and sweet fruited on the mid-palate. Punchy, citrusy acidity and a moderately dry finish.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

DJ1980 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:22 pm Had an incredible tasting over the weekend.

2002 Louis Roederer Cristal - I liked this the most out of the 2 Champagnes. I was the only one though. Beautiful line of acidity. Agreed that we didn't think it would get better, just older.
2002 Dom Perignon P2 - Darker colour than the bottle I tried 6 months ago. Quite rich BUT slightly flabby to me. Needed food.

2005 Domaine Armand Rousseau Clos de la Roche - Holy smokes. This was incredible. Violets and sweet cherry. Talc and powdery tannin. The length was staggering. We are talking minutes. Just incredible.

1947 Borgogno Barolo Riserva - Long gone
2012 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Francia - God these are good. Roses and charcuterie. Olives and red fruits. Full bodied and a baby. Will be stunning in 10 years.

1982 Chateau Mouton Rothschild. - Beautiful colour and just a classic Claret. Cabernet at it's finest. No rush tbh.

2001 Chateau d'Yquem - Literally had tears in my eyes after experiencing this wine. This sat me back in my chair. One of the greatest wines I have ever had.
Jesus that is a proper bucket list tasting! Amazing

never had the d'Yquem, so if you have any more notes on this, i would appreciate it
Cristal likewise, i dont believe i have tried that either. .... better get a hurry up and rectify this

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

I keep telling people that 01 d’Yquem is the best wine made in my lifetime, at least with a reasonable production.

I have had it 5 times and the best was the first, when it was so full of life and energy. That was in 2006. Apparently some of the recent vintages are at a similar level, but I have not tried them. It’s sweet of course, but it’s layered and has just the correct amount of acidity. I sold my half case of it a few months ago and it’s one of the few wines I have gotten rid of that I am sad about. Worth pointing out that o have twice been to Wickens at the Royal Mail hotel, and both times I received a glass of the 01 as part of the wine pairing.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

mychurch wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:24 pm I keep telling people that 01 d’Yquem is the best wine made in my lifetime, at least with a reasonable production.

I have had it 5 times and the best was the first, when it was so full of life and energy. That was in 2006. Apparently some of the recent vintages are at a similar level, but I have not tried them. It’s sweet of course, but it’s layered and has just the correct amount of acidity. I sold my half case of it a few months ago and it’s one of the few wines I have gotten rid of that I am sad about. Worth pointing out that o have twice been to Wickens at the Royal Mail hotel, and both times I received a glass of the 01 as part of the wine pairing.
I agree. Simply stupendous. And like you I foolishly sold most of mine

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

01 Rieussec was also superb - drank mine close to release, heathen that I am...

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

kenzo wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:43 pm 01 Rieussec was also superb - drank mine close to release, heathen that I am...
I’ve only got a couple left… qualitatively almost on par with the 01 d’Yquem. Even the lesser labels from the region put out some superb wines in 01.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I’ve been drinking mature Cote Rotie all week from the likes of Vernay, Rostaing Ogier and Jamet. In the mix have been Clonakilla SV 03,04 & 05. What a beautiful style of wine. So refined and nuanced at maturity.

I know SV blends have been whacked a bit in Aussie forums over the years but I do wonder what folks must have been drinking?

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:41 am I’ve been drinking mature Cote Rotie all week from the likes of Vernay, Rostaing Ogier and Jamet. In the mix have been Clonakilla SV 03,04 & 05. What a beautiful style of wine. So refined and nuanced at maturity.

I know SV blends have been whacked a bit in Aussie forums over the years but I do wonder what folks must have been drinking?
Shiraz Viognier is lovely when the Viognier percentage is no more than 5%. We also went through a period where the SV blend was being produced in warm climate areas where it is generally not suited. SV blends work better in cooler areas where the Viognier accentuates the natural aromatic lift of the Shiraz.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

The old Vales SV came to mind but I did think the usual Aussie fever pitch drummed up. Not unlike the cork/SC debate.

These are magnificent wines. The CR standout for me versus our sometimes outstanding styles with CR’s natural integration and balance.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

I recently got an '03 Patrick & Christophe Bonnefond Les Rochins Cote-Rotie at auction. Just a random pickup based solely on the vintage. I have no idea whether to drink or hold. No real clue about the producer or vintage other than it might have been a hot year.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:41 am I’ve been drinking mature Cote Rotie all week from the likes of Vernay, Rostaing Ogier and Jamet. In the mix have been Clonakilla SV 03,04 & 05. What a beautiful style of wine. So refined and nuanced at maturity.

We have just finished a Beaujolais / Rhone themed evening (I will post my notes shortly) - One wine presented
was the 2017 Bernard Levet Cote-Rotie Maestria. It was SO bad i couldn't even bring myself to taste it. The smell of
fresh horse manure and pig pen was so overwhelming i nearly threw up just from the nose alone. Tipped out.
2003 Pegau Reserve was also heavily Brett affected, and had to be tipped out.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I find Aussie palates too highly critical or sensitive of Brett. That said. I’d be pouring that bottle down the sink too. I know exactly the type of Rhone it is.

There’s applying transport and storage in Australia that doesn’t help brett affected wines from the Northern Hemisphere . I’ve found my wines to be better presentable as they delivered in the proper manner. Even sone of my secondary market Beaucastel seem a lot better than Australian sourced bottles.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

I remember years ago, when I was studying for the WSET Diploma of Wine up in London, learning about wine faults. One evening at our local wine tasting group I was carefully explaining to Mr Carrington all about Brett. Full marks to him as he kept a completely straight face as the blinded bottle of Beaucastel came slowly towards us. He knew the identity of the bottle but never gave it away... until the first sniff. 😁

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Decided to take a look at a few 2002 champagnes given they’ve just turned 21…

Krug…. Don’t see the fuss about this one given its price. Just came across as a bit ‘Harsh’. That said, this house has never been my favourite, so it might say more about me!

Camille Saves… I love this wine and it was so cheap at the time. Just a shame little or none gets to Oz any more. Lots of strawberry and apple notes, with crunchy Granny Smith acidity on a long finish. Excellent wine.

Taittinger Comtes… lots of floral and citrus notes. Still quite primary,but will be great in time. That said, I still think the 2004 outshines it.

Vilmart Couer de Cuvée…. This is a rockstar. Just starting to hit its strides. Great balance between power and finesse. Along with the 08, my favourite from this label.

Dom Perignon… not the best bottle (not mine… suspect it’s been stored poorly).

Pierre Gimonnet Special Club… lots of saline and mineral characters. Good but not great. Still quite some years to go.

Diebolt vallois Fleur de Passion…. At release I found the malic acid overwhelming, but with time it has softened and integrated superbly. Another with an outstanding mix of citrus and floral notes with great length.

Pol Roger BdB… lots of honey and candied fruit characters. Developing more rapidly than the others.

Louis Roederer Cristal… lives up to the hype. Seems quite Pinot dominant and still very primary. Will be magnificent in 10 years.

Pierre Peters Les Chetillons… really really good, but not as good as the 08 or 04 for my tastes. Textbook Mesnil with the mineralogy and salinity and outrageous length. Still youngish.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Mike Hawkins wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:49 am Decided to take a look at a few 2002 champagnes given they’ve just turned 21…

Krug…. Don’t see the fuss about this one given its price. Just came across as a bit ‘Harsh’. That said, this house has never been my favourite, so it might say more about me!

Camille Saves… I love this wine and it was so cheap at the time. Just a shame little or none gets to Oz any more. Lots of strawberry and apple notes, with crunchy Granny Smith acidity on a long finish. Excellent wine.

Taittinger Comtes… lots of floral and citrus notes. Still quite primary,but will be great in time. That said, I still think the 2004 outshines it.

Vilmart Couer de Cuvée…. This is a rockstar. Just starting to hit its strides. Great balance between power and finesse. Along with the 08, my favourite from this label.

Dom Perignon… not the best bottle (not mine… suspect it’s been stored poorly).

Pierre Gimonnet Special Club… lots of saline and mineral characters. Good but not great. Still quite some years to go.

Diebolt vallois Fleur de Passion…. At release I found the malic acid overwhelming, but with time it has softened and integrated superbly. Another with an outstanding mix of citrus and floral notes with great length.

Pol Roger BdB… lots of honey and candied fruit characters. Developing more rapidly than the others.

Louis Roederer Cristal… lives up to the hype. Seems quite Pinot dominant and still very primary. Will be magnificent in 10 years.

Pierre Peters Les Chetillons… really really good, but not as good as the 08 or 04 for my tastes. Textbook Mesnil with the mineralogy and salinity and outrageous length. Still youngish.
Mike thanks for the notes. I have 6 of those in the cellar ... sounds like I don't need to rush and open any of them. And good to hear about the 2004's holding up as well compared to 2002s ... any thoughts on the Camille Saves 2004 vs 2002 which you tasted above?
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Andrew… 04 Saves is right in its sweet spot now. No point holding it any longer. The 08s and potentially the 12 will be even better again

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Bondar 2022 Violet Hour Shiraz. Simply fabulous. I suspect 2022 will be a great follow on from 2021. Plush rich, so balanced. Beautiful MV Shiraz... will be buying more.

Hats off to Andre Bondar, lovely wine.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

A few recent ones… hadn’t necessarily intended it to be a MR theme but that’s where it ended up.

The 2018 Prelude is great drinking for the price. Managed to get 6 at auction for a song, and it has a lot of mineral, depth and length. I think this will drink well over the next 10+ years really.

The Moss Wood is very primary still, tannic, and while all the power is there it’s refined. Another 15+ easy and probably worth a revisit in 5-10 years to see the progression. Early days.

The Art Series Shiraz, first time trying it and it’s enjoyable. Good price point, lots of fruit and crunch, good depth, not a monster.

Cheers Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

A bit off topic.

Haven't posted for a while but always appreciate your updates. We are in the middle of a 10 week trip in Europe and have been in France for a while now. Can't afford the big name wines but must say we have been impressed with most of the local wines at extremely reasonable prices. Even the Vin Ordinaire is quite pleasant. Like last night at an amazing steak house here in Aix En Provence that just does 1kg lumps of scotch fillet on the bone with chips and salad and sells a very nice red by the cm (not cl). They give you a full large format bottle (magnum?) and charge you based on how much you drink in cm measured from the top. It appeared to be a cabernet based wine and was perfectly suited to the meal. Lovely black fruits, some oak and well integrated firm tannins. I reckon a 750ml bottle costs about 20 euro. Got a bit carried away so a bit shabby this morning in this wonderful historic town.

And the 1kg steak was just 35 euro. Plenty for 2 people. Well aged and cooked perfectly. A bit tough but flavours were to die for. You can also buy them uncooked for 25 euro which is stupidly cheap.

The local Chardonnays have been very pleasant too. Nice and lean with great fruit profiles. Even the cheaper Chablis were good.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Some wonderful modest places around for sure.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

So I gave one of these a go (always like to try one before the rest go down). Only 648 bottles produced to there was a tinge of guilt opening it. Drank over a couple of nights. The first night, very primary, but it felt like the mineral, dirt, iron notes overshadowed the fruit. Day two, wow what a difference, the elements are coming together and it was a very enjoyable wine that I rather quickly went back to for a second glass.

I think this will go down for a while before I give another bottle a go.

Cheers Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Thanks VinoEd. Been meaning to open 1 of these as well, but there are too many in the waiting queue. Sounds like a good wine though and in todays world it’s fairly priced.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Another wine event held at the end of September.

Theme was Beaujolais & Rhone Varieties and as always - all wines were served blind/masked.

Wine # 1 (Starting White/Extra) – 2017 Powell & Son Rousanne Marsanne (Barossa Valley)
Having tried this wine on release I was very excited to see it evolution in bottle. Not the usual
Varieties found in the Barossa. I chose this wine due to my memory of it being thoroughly French and thoroughly Rhone. A good ‘trick’ wine if you will. Lets see what the others think.
Green Gold in colour, has a lovely tinge in there. Lots going on in the glass, tropical fruits, green grass, some hay and lots of phenolics… smells like a white Rhone. In the mouth the first things you notice like a smack in the face is the fruit weight and texture. This is so textural, grippy and silky all at once. Its thick without being chewy…. Some green melon, bees wax actually this is very waxy. Great length, nice acid balance here, has really melded together over the last 5 years; everyone thought it was French / Rhone, which is exactly what I thought last time. No one could believe it. Still shaking my head as to how ‘french ‘ it is. Probably the best example of a white Rhone made in Australia. Superb wine, what a great start.

Wine # 2 (extra) – 2022 DeBortoli PHI Gamay Noir (Yarra Valley)
Weird name for what is a 100% varietal gamay. Still cant get my head around why people decide to label it a Noir. They are not the first winery (Granite Hills comes to mind as well)
Light red in colour, smells of red fruits and a touch of oak. Crunchy red fruits too, new season strawberries, cranberry, redcurrants. This is a newly bottled release only bought in as a curio, would love this slightly chilled and as at a spring BBQ. Screaming for some lamb. Not a serious wine, but very good VFM that is an easy drinking red fruited style wine. Easy choice really

Wine # 3 – 2009 Chateau Thivin Cote de Brouilly – Cuvee la Chapelle
Dark Cherry core that gets lighter and redder towards the rim, some slight bricking. Nose has some rustic notes, not quite barnyard but its there, acceptable level without ruining the nose. Blueberry, tar and tangerine on the nose. Fully integrated wine on the palate. Medium body, with fine dry, dusty tannin…. Acid has melded in with the structure, maybe past its peak.
Blue Fruits are hanging in there, but only just definitely on downhill slope. Good length, 3 or 4 years ago would have been a different wine.

Wine # 4.1 (Left Glass) 2014 Jean Foillard Cote du Py Morgon
A bit lighter in colour than the last wine. More cherry red, hints of raspberry red too. Smells very whole bunchy, you know that earthy, stalky smell, hints of green leaf too.
Love the tartness here, has some crunchy cranberry acidity that forms the tartness, its just mouthwatering. Some new season strawberry, some think green strawberry and more lighted red fruits; red cherry & redcurrants. This has an old world feel to it, some complexity with some old oak treatment, good length – im in Beaujolais here. Drink now but will hold a little longer – why wait.

Wine # 4.2 (Right Glass) 2014 Sorrenberg Gamay (Beechworth)
Much darker in colour than the left glass, not sure of the commonality of this wine yet, as this looks and smells completely different. Lots of Mint, Spearmint and Eucalyptus. This is very young and still crunchy dark fruits, this has a fair bit of oak that is a little distracting at present. Those fruits feel new world, so rich and primary. Cant get over that eucalypt note. This is only just ok, curious to see what it is, doesn’t feel old world and not really enjoying it at its current stage of development. Cant believe this is a sorrenberg….. bit disappointed if im honest from this high quality producer, I would expect more and I wouldn’t be rushing out to buy it.

Wine # 5 - 2018 Chateau Thivin Cote de Brouilly – L’Heronde
Lovely colour, plum purple with a tinge of dark red. Nice juicy nose, lots of purple type fruits, not spicy like a shiraz/syrah though. Nice dry dusty tannin, perfectly ripe fruits, feels like a grenache as im missing those blue fruits for a gamay – LOL I have a lot to lean. Lots of Plums and a light hint of raspberry at the end, feels young (under 5 years) with lots of future potential & upside. Length is nice, some regional herbs now as well, evolving and opening in the glass. Nice purity of fruit, easy yes, quality wine.

Wine # 6 - 2009 Domain du Vieux Telegraphe – La Crau
Slightly blurry in the glass, some slight bricking – medium brick red. Lots of violets and purple florals on the nose. This looks older (around 15 years) and has some sublime purple fruits here, plums black cherry, hint of olive as well– love these fruits, so classy and perfectly ripe. Lots of dried herbs, earthy as well BUT this is different to all the others, I don’t think we are in Beaujolais anymore toto.
High quality fruit here, length is probably the best of the night so far. Serious wine, some quite big tannin and some charcoal/graphite minerals – black stone minerals and more herbs and lavender florals: complex. No real spice or pepper, oak is there but not overpowering, so don’t think it’s a syrah, those fruits are more grenache like – BUT I have been wrong before. Top wine, just a pup despite its looks. Drink now and up to 10 more years I would think – cork permitting.

Wine # 7 - 2020 Daniel Bouland Cote de Brouilly – Cuvee Melanie
Much darker in colour than the previous wine. Almost as dark as the Sorrenberg, but completely different. This smells French, very floral – most floral of the night. So pretty and feminine, this is all purple flowers (violets) and fruit. Purity of the fruit is outstanding – Super Juicy blueberries, plums and blackcurrants, only medium body though which is interesting. If you saw the colour, you would be forgiven thinking it was full bodied – mesmerising colour. No oak, but has some back and red liquorice in there, flinty minerals. Nice complexity with a good acid balance and length. Missing a touch of tannin to make it truly great, but it so young and fresh…. Those florals are the real star here – could smell them for hours.

Wine # 8 - 2005 M.Chapoutier Les Greffieux Ermitage
So dark its almost black. Inky, impenetrable core, can only just see the rim in the light – something completely different again that’s for sure.
Smells like a lamington. Lots of coconut and chocolate sauce on the nose, quite peppery too – but white pepper. Im wondering if this is a shiraz/syrah due to that pepper. Feels like a hermitage, has that earthy French feel, and its not new world. The fruit weight is the start here, lots of black fruits, blackberries, black cherry, black olives and black plums. Hint of Smoked meats, some iron filings & charcoal minerals… this is a super silky wine, rich without being over ripe, some Aussie producers should look at this. Probably a bit too much oak for my tastes, but the fruit is so powerful it kind of needs that much. Time has (and will) been very kind.

Wine # 9 – 2006 Rene Rostaing Cote Rotie La Landonne
Nice colour here, dark red with a copper tinge to the rim. No bricking or blurring at all. Looks young & vibrant, however smells like it has some age.
Apricots on the nose, blueberries and pastry…. Baked Blueberry Pie! Yum yum.
Some copper minerals on the palate, interestingly there are some white florals in there as well,
Strange for a red. More apricot fruits and some nice baking spices that add to those blue fruits, plums starting to make an appearance now as it opens up. Pastry is still there, and some stoney minerals. Really nice tannin structure – Dry and gravelly tannin. Super long length, envelops the senses. Lovely wine.

Wine # 10 - 2003 Domaine du Pegau CNdP Reserve
All the Brett – ruined the party – tipped out. Shame but unforgivable from this
Producer seeing how expensive it is – why I never buy CNdP - and especially this producer. I think its the 3rd or 4th faulty Pegau I have had.

Wine # 11 - 2011 Mount Pleasant Maurice O’Shea Hunter Valley Shiraz
Well isn’t this something different again! What a great and diverse line up so far. Bright Cherry red in colour, touch of blood plum in there too. Some huge blue fruits on the nose, some very pretty florals as well. The Nose has such a purity of fruit its quite something to behold. In the glass and on the nose it smells French, particularly Beaujolais/gamay. Those blue plums, blueberries and blue florals come storming through – so I can see why everyone chose that – but they were all wrong. No one picked Australian, no one picked Shiraz – this was an absolute beauty. So elegant, so refined and feminine. Belies its age, belies its varietal, hunter at its absolute BEST. A region that doesn’t get the accolades for the reds it can produce. An audible gasp came over the room when it was revealed. My first O’Shea so I didn’t know what to expect (it was my wine) – The power of the fruit are at Grand Cru level, hint of red earth, some exotic spice & cinnamon, whisps of white pepper floating around. Some red and black liquorice, tannins were dry and dusty – sweeping across the palate, giving structure and matched with that savoury acid it was just something to behold, pure wine moment and one I have to seek out again. Will live forever under the screw cap and still just a baby. Special wine

Wine # 12 (Pegau Backup) - 2017 Bernard Levet Maestria Cote Rotie
If I thought the Pegau was faulty, Bernard said ‘hold my beer, I will smash it’
This was quite possibly the worst wine I have ever come across. Absolutely stunk of
Horse manure, pig pens and just disgusting barnyard notes. Rustic is being nice to what is
an absolute pig of a wine. 300% Brett – stunk out the room. I couldn’t even bring myself to
try it – tipped straight out – made me want to vomit - Bernard is Banned.

Wine # 13 (Sweet) - 2001 Chateau Haut-Bergeron Sauternes
Have a look at this wine in the glass. Sometime you only have to look at the colour and just
know its going to be special. This was one of those rare moments, burnt toffee, caramel in colour, tinge of copper orange too.
Lots of barley sugar on the nose, earl grey tea, black tea as well.
In the mouth there was an iced lemon tea note, absolutely singing yet a little confusing at the same time. At first I thought it was typical sauternes, but that lemon tea has stumped me a bit, and then comes the burnt toffee and crème Brule notes – annnd we are back in Sauternes. Custard cream mouthfeel, silky and sublime. That lemony acid perfectly balanced, fruit weight is stunning as is the length. Marmalade and some honeyed tropical fruits added in. Just a wonderful wine – more please

Great ending

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Ross I, I’m with you on Pegau…. Finding a bottle that isn’t defective seems to be the aberration

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Mike Hawkins wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:14 pm Ross I, I’m with you on Pegau…. Finding a bottle that isn’t defective seems to be the aberration
What are they like when they're good, because the only ones I've tried were quite bretty? Not particularly good value if they're undrinkable.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

cuttlefish wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:30 pm
Mike Hawkins wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:14 pm Ross I, I’m with you on Pegau…. Finding a bottle that isn’t defective seems to be the aberration
What are they like when they're good, because the only ones I've tried were quite bretty? Not particularly good value if they're undrinkable.
Don't know. Never had one that didn't have a fault

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I’ve a few cases of Reservas I bought when they fell out of favour. Cheap. Will try one next week.