Capel Vale Whispering Hill Mount Barker Shiraz 2011

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Capel Vale Whispering Hill Mount Barker Shiraz 2011

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

I had reason to call into Capel Vale on Friday, and at the same time introduce my 18 year old daughter to her first cellar door wine tasting. I suspect it will not be her last.

For me, however, it was an opportunity to stock up on a wine I already had a couple of bottles of - the Whispering Hill 2011 Shiraz ($54.95 CD). I have previously enthused about the 2009 (there was no 2010 for reasons I am not aware of), and the 2011 has me similarly enthused, and another 6 pack in the cellar.

Deep ruby colour, clear and bright. Nose of oak, cloves or cinnamon, a little white pepper, spice and fresh plums. Palate is velvety (like the 09) slippery with rich drinking chocolate and rich red fruits.

I enjoyed this immensely, and it may be as good as the 2009 (which I rate highly). After getting home and repacking boxes inthe cellar, I discovered a couple more 2011s on top of what I thought I had. LOTS of 2011s now! Cue Mr Burns (Simpsons) Eexxecellent :D

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Waiters Friend

Re: Capel Vale Whispering Hill Mount Barker Shiraz 2011

Post by Waiters Friend »

Hello

My last post concluded with me finding a couple of extra bottles of this vintage. I then promptly forgot about them for 2 years, until recently.

This has not shifted much in that time. There's probably more blue and dark fruits than red on the nose. On the palate, the texture has become slightly less rich and chocolately.

Still probably drinking this too young, and I may leave it another couple of years until the next one. Lovely wine which will only get better.

Cheers
Allan

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

I thought another look at this wine is warranted. It's looking pretty good now, while still a fraction young.

Cedary oak is seamless over red and dark fruits - raspberry, blackberry, quite concentrated. There's a little leather polish, cloves, cinnamon and dried herbs (perhaps thyme?).

The palate is where it is really happening. High acid favourably supports dark chocolate and the red fruits flooding across the palate. Chalky tannins add to a mouthfeel that crosses between grippy and glycerols - there's a liquid, melted chocolate sensation that's quite attractive. The finish is long and satisfying.

I'm glad I had another look, but I reckon this is only going to get better. The jury is out on when I will look at another bottle - I should say 2 years, but I did that last year. :D

Cheers

Allan

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Four years on from my last note, and the wine has only got better.

Deeloped fruit characters have overtaken the oak, although the oak still plays a role, with mocha on the nose, and cocoa strongly on the palate. The fruits are firmly in the red and dark spectrums (spectra?). Really, the previous TN still largely holds true, with only modest development.

Sensational shiraz at its peak, but should hold for another 5 years. I'll let you know.

Cheers
Allan

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Allan, these tasting notes over the lifetime of the wines are some of what makes this site so good - thanks!

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

18 months on from my last TN, and I find that my prediction of 'holding' was correct. There's been very little further development in that time, with the red and black fruits still to the fore (although in secondary development), and the oak providing cedar, chocolate and texture / grip.

The picture will show there's no 'bricking', Colour has only lightened slightly over the years.

The palate remains full and rich, with considerable length of finish. This remains a very satisfying shiraz, with a couple more years to hold. Further improvement is unlikely, in my opinion, although with a couple more of these in the cellar, time will tell.

Cheers
Allan

PS: the photograph also shows that the labels are fading over time.
CV 11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.