TN: 1997 Lengs & Cooter Watervale Riesling

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
n4sir

TN: 1997 Lengs & Cooter Watervale Riesling

Post by n4sir »

1997 Lengs & Cooter Watervale Riesling, Clare Valley (cork): 12.0% alc. Fill level was on the low side (about 3cm below the capsule which was sticky, indicating leakage), and the cork was heavily soaked. Medium amber colour. Smells heavily developed with honey, ginger, lanolin and lemon drop characters, some kerosene and browning banana too; the palate’s tighter, but just as spicy and lemony, a touch of lip-smacking bacon fat on the finish making it a perfect match for salty, deep-fried seafood. Okay, but I suspect this isn’t a great bottle.

Image Image

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Fortune 3rd reg. attempt

Re: TN: 1997 Lengs & Cooter Watervale Riesling

Post by Fortune 3rd reg. attempt »

I found a 01 on the (Melbourne) Swiss Club winelist last week - thought a bottle with 12 years age was worth trying and it was very very nice. I was interested to check Halliday - 86 points and drink by 05! Theoretically 8 years past its best and apparently a good honest wine (but no better) to start....time had been very kind.

They also had the 01 Shiraz (94 and 2016) for the same price....$55. I haven't had the chance to try but if it lives up to the Halliday rating that's a wine list gem

Mahmoud Ali

Re: TN: 1997 Lengs & Cooter Watervale Riesling

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Over the years I have found that most critics' early wine windows underestimate longevity. This includes Robert Parker whose drinking windows on many Bordeaux have been off the mark. Wines are remarkable things, they continuously change in bottle and can confound even the best of wine experts.