December 2012 tasting notes incl Xmas/NY

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Luke W

December 2012 tasting notes incl Xmas/NY

Post by Luke W »

Knocked off a 2009 Felton Rd Block 3 Pinot Noir a couple of nites ago. Probably prefer the Bannockburn as its got more grunt and I found the Block 3 a little bit too delicate. Maybe some decant time would have helped but it was still pretty light after 2 hours. Any one got any experience with the Block 3's and 5's and whether they're expected to be more or less intense or should I have left it for several hours in a decanter?

Thinking a 1996 Penfolds 707 for Xmas lunch after a bottle of sparkling (maybe an old Salinger). Think a Wild Duck Ck vertical for New Year's eve or an old Neill Robb private bin shiraz/cabernet sauvignon.

Had a 1995 Grange last year and don't have quite the same high hopes this time round....

Cheers and Merry Xmas/Safe New Year

Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

damonpeyo

Re: December 2012 tasting notes incl Xmas/NY

Post by damonpeyo »

very impressed with Wantirna Estate's '11 Isabella Chardonnay from Yarra Valley, not much of a Chardonnay drinker, but I seriously love this drop! smooth and so damned crisp refreshing in this weather, not too acidic or fruity, beautifully balanced for my liking. Two Thumbs Up! Glad got couple more in cellar. :)

I find this Chardonnay very "moreish" for my palate. Love it.

rens

Post by rens »

Yes, it is that time of the year again.
I'll be consuming the following over the festive season:
2003 Patrizi Barolo
2006 Cirillo Grenache 1850's Old Vine
2007 Amisfield Pinot Noir (probably for the my wife's birthday on 11 December-she loves this stuff)
2005 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Reserva
2006 Teusner Avatar
1991 Wynns Coonawarra Estate Centenary
1997 Tahbilk old vine shiraz
and hopefully a few aged specimens from my brother in laws cellar too.

I'd be happy for some input into the barolo and the rioja (am I drinking them too young?) as these are the one and only bottles.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

Luke W wrote:Knocked off a 2009 Felton Rd Block 3 Pinot Noir a couple of nites ago. Probably prefer the Bannockburn as its got more grunt and I found the Block 3 a little bit too delicate. Maybe some decant time would have helped but it was still pretty light after 2 hours. Any one got any experience with the Block 3's and 5's and whether they're expected to be more or less intense or should I have left it for several hours in a decanter?

Luke

Several hour in a decanter is probably the answer -- haven't tasted the '09 Block 3 for 18 months or so, but it's a top vintage with plenty of concentration -- certainly not a light pinot. I won't be touching mine for another couple of years at a minimum -- to my taste both the Block 3 & 5 are at their best with at least 5 years of bottle age, and can comfortably go for considerably longer (the '03 was excellent in '10, for example).

Cheers
Peter

AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley »

I am tossing up what to serve on Christmas Day.

Anyone reckon 2004 Voyager Estate Cabernet merlot is ready to drink or would it just be a sleeping, dull and closed off cabernet?

So far I have 2007 John Duval Entity as a certainty. All the tasting notes I've read of this says its good to go.

Others on the short list: 2004 Seppelt St Peters (again, too young?), 2005 Yalumba Signature (might be a go'er) and 2004 Penfolds St Henri or Bin 389.

Too much choice!

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

2002 Pol Roger Extra Brut - good wine. best on day 3 which speks to what should be decent longevity.

1990 Dom Perignon - fantastic. Long, complex secondary characteristics. Drinking perfectly for my tastes.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

McPherson Basilisk Tempranillo 2009
Screwcap. 13.5% alc. Sourced from central Victoria. Mid cherry colour. Significantly oaky on the nose to begin with. Has a green acidic streak through it with green branchy, brambly characters to it, and some candy quality as well. The fruit aroma here somewhere in the vacinity of blue berries, and cherry. Quite lean, aromatically, overall. The palate is light to medium in weight, and has a little of that underripe cherry/citrussy quality to it. With the little bottle-age it now carries, it has developed a certain gravelly, earthy quality. The tannins are fine and so weightless. Calling this medium weight is probably being generous. Tasty enough :)
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

AndrewCowley wrote:I am tossing up what to serve on Christmas Day.

Anyone reckon 2004 Voyager Estate Cabernet merlot is ready to drink or would it just be a sleeping, dull and closed off cabernet?

So far I have 2007 John Duval Entity as a certainty. All the tasting notes I've read of this says its good to go.

Others on the short list: 2004 Seppelt St Peters (again, too young?), 2005 Yalumba Signature (might be a go'er) and 2004 Penfolds St Henri or Bin 389.

Too much choice!

In my opinion, all three of those 2004 reds are too young. Maybe sacrifice one, then crack the others if things get out of control. that 04 Voyager is a vintage that many sat up and recognised as exceptional when it was released. I've only had one, and it was full on. It needs some time in the cellar. The 04 St Peters is another one that screams for time in the cellar, and you could throw the 2004 St Henri into that basket as well.

Why not give the 2004 389 a good long decant (24 hours or so) and let it rip ??
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Peter NZ wrote:
Luke W wrote:Knocked off a 2009 Felton Rd Block 3 Pinot Noir a couple of nites ago. Probably prefer the Bannockburn as its got more grunt and I found the Block 3 a little bit too delicate. Maybe some decant time would have helped but it was still pretty light after 2 hours. Any one got any experience with the Block 3's and 5's and whether they're expected to be more or less intense or should I have left it for several hours in a decanter?

Luke

Several hour in a decanter is probably the answer -- haven't tasted the '09 Block 3 for 18 months or so, but it's a top vintage with plenty of concentration -- certainly not a light pinot. I won't be touching mine for another couple of years at a minimum -- to my taste both the Block 3 & 5 are at their best with at least 5 years of bottle age, and can comfortably go for considerably longer (the '03 was excellent in '10, for example).

Cheers
Peter

Thanks Peter

I'll leave them alone for awhile then and give them some air time
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

jafa

Post by jafa »

Sheesh. Dunno wot I'm drinking this weekend, let alone Xmas/NY.
However over the past weekend it was;
1994 [Stonyridge] Airfield Cabernets. Alc 12.5% Lighter red in colour, classic old claret nose.
Straight from bottle (no decant thinking about the age factor) Cedar, ashtray, cassis, red plum, old leather.
No fall off in quality over 90mins of consumption. Probably still some cellar time left in it. Very good.

cheers jafa
C(NZ) note use of [....] Very catching 8)

jimbob47

Post by jimbob47 »

This Xmas period I will be opening the following

- David Franz Nicole (6 years on lees) A fantastic Sparkling Red to get the day started

- Freycinet Radenti Sparkling Chardonnay Pinot Noir

For Whites

- First Drop Arneis 2011
- Sevenhill Riesling 2011
and maybe a William Fevre 2008 Chablis

For Reds I am thinking of opening

- Hentley Farm "The Beauty" 2007
- Groom Shiraz 2006
and Mountadam "The Red: 2007

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Nice wine Luke, but agree they show at their best with 5-10 years in the cellar, so if drinking young a long decant is your only hope. Had a 2001 Block 3 a few months ago that was drinking superbly.

Andrew Crowley wrote:Anyone reckon 2004 Voyager Estate Cabernet merlot is ready to drink or would it just be a sleeping, dull and closed off cabernet? So far I have 2007 John Duval Entity as a certainty. All the tasting notes I've read of this says its good to go. Others on the short list: 2004 Seppelt St Peters (again, too young?), 2005 Yalumba Signature (might be a go'er) and 2004 Penfolds St Henri or Bin 389.

Definitely expect a sleeping Voyager, the 04 Cab's are major long termers. Entity would love more time, but probably quite approachable now. On the short list I'd personally go the St Henri, mainly cause I've not yet tried it, sure it's too young but everyone says it's a lovely wine and great drinking anytime. 389 will be fine, but still very oaky.

One thing we've shown at our Cabernet tastings is that good Aussie Cabernet shows best with 15 years or more age. Hard to wait that long though!

Enjoyed a Jim Barry The Lodge Riesling 2012 on the weekend, hint of off-dry, and great floral nose. Also thought last night that a Kooyong Clonale Chardonnay 2011 was a bit special, and great VFM.

For Xmas..... heading back to NZ, so will dip into my small stash at Mum's house in ChCh, has been shaken not stirred. Craggy Range Pinot Noir 2008, a St Henri 1998 and a bunch of kiwi Chardy and Riesling no doubt.

Cheers
Tim

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

jimbob47 wrote:This Xmas period I will be opening the following

I have one of these as well I was thinking of opening for xmas... its the current 2001 vintage... thought it was really excellent when I tried at the cellar door last year.
------------------------------------
Sam

daz

Post by daz »

sjw_11 wrote:
jimbob47 wrote:This Xmas period I will be opening the following

I have one of these as well I was thinking of opening for xmas... its the current 2001 vintage... thought it was really excellent when I tried at the cellar door last year.

I shared a bottle 2-3 years ago that I bought for a friend's 70th birthday, think it was the 1999. Not a big bubbles fan but it was up there for Aussie sparklers. Enjoy, have a Merry Christmas.

winewrangler

Post by winewrangler »

1991 Wynns Coonawarra Estate Centenary will be great choice goona open it on this xmas :)

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

C(NZ) note use of [....] Very catching

GK would be proud

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

Weekend tasting note.

2010 - Marius Simpatico - Lovely dark fruit and those silky tannins. Really a bit of a monster of a wine and needed a decant or to breath a bit before really enjoying it. We did enjoy it but can't help but feel that its best work is years away.

2010 - Houghton Wisdom Cab - Now this was maginificent in a classy feminne way. Beautiful nose of classic cab aromas. Started off being lighter in body and built to a solid medium after airing for an hour or so. Had considerable complexity for a young wine which included hints of bay leaf, tobacco, graphite etc. FThis was a really impressive and didn't last long. One of those wines you can just smell all night long. This is a good sign for those of you that can afford the Gladstones and J.M.

Comment re these 2 wines drunk side by side was that they are really polar opposites in style and flavours and yet where both very impressive in their own right

daz

Post by daz »

Ballast Stone Estate Windjammer Shiraz 2010

I have a curious appreciation of this wine, perhaps because to me it's rustic, full-bodied with black fruits, savoury black olive and a sense of bitter dark chocolate. The alcohol is noticeable but not too hot and there's some malty, vanillin oak on the nose that's well-integrated on the palate. Certainly not a "fine wine" but so what, a lack of refinement is more than made up for by power. Tannins are ripe, there, but not overbearing.

Alexander Park Riesling 2008

This is a Plunkett Fowles wine from the Strathbogie ranges, bought a few out of curiosity. Medium straw colour appropriate to its age that's starting to show on the palate but definitely not over the hill. Varietal with still good acid on the medium finish. OK value for about $15 delivered in a 6pk with $12.50 freight that's turning me off the supplier.

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

A couple of 01's last night. A Tahbilk Shiraz and a Virgin Hills Cabernet mix. A mate had suggested that his 01 Tahbilk's had deteriorated but I found it OK but not fabulous - possibly 7.5/10.
The Virgin Hills on the other hand was lovely after a couple of hours of decant time. Out of this dozen only 2 haven't been good - this one 8.5-9/10.
Finished with a Seppeltsfield 1997 Shiraz Tinted Molle which was as smooth as a babies bum....
Peynaud

rens

Post by rens »

2003 Patrizi Barolo: Still needed another 5 years I think to show its stuff. Took 2 hours to open up to a very well balanced wine with earthy complexity and generous mouth feel.
2005 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Reserva: Casis combined with secondary flavours. The tannins have faded nicely and drank well. Dry finish-a little short but that's being picky. Went very well with the Hot chorizo salad with spinach, tomatoes and parsley with some crusty bread. Me encanta España
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Celebrating a new job so some special bottles opened ...

2001 Woodlands Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
Haven't tried this for 7 years and my patience has paid off. Oliver has a drinking window on this wine till 2009 and boy was he off the mark! This wine is in a beautiful, happy place right now. Nose was initially muted, but after 3 hours in the decanter, it started to open up. Savoury notes of black olive, tobacco and spice carressed my nasal cavities. Although nearly 12 years old the colour is still deep and dark. The palate though has mellowed and softened. Silky fine, integrated tannins meshed with smooth cassis and blackberry fruit cover the tongue giving an altogether wonderful mouthfeel. This wine spent 27 months in new French oak and you wouldn't know it. It has fully integrated into the wine making this high class gear with an oldy worldy feel to it. Hats off to Stuart Watson! This is exceptional stuff and I am glad I have a few more bottles in the cellar as it has many a year left in it yet. Will it get better? Don't know but it is drinking very well now.

2003 Kalleske Shiraz Johann Georg
Had this wine on release at a few tastings but this is the first bottle we have opened from the cellar. First release of this wine from Troy Kalleske and from memory was well received by the press, especially Mr Parker. So expectations were relatively high for this wine. Decanted for 3 hours prior to consumption, this wine is still wound very tight, even though it is nearly 10 years old. Lots of blackberry, prune and cherry fruit exude from the glass. On the palate, the oak has integrated with the fruit nicely but there is still some room for improvement. There is lots going on in this wine, many layers of flavour and more time in the cellar will only do wonders for this wine. Plenty of elegant fruit on the palate but at its current stage of evolution, there is a whack of oak on the finish which detracts from the overall experience. This is definitely a wine of class but we will have to wait a little bit longer before this beautiful butterfly emerges fully from its cocoon. Will give it another 5 years at least before I try the next bottle.

2005 Rockford Shiraz Black Shiraz
Another wine I haven't tasted for around 5 years. Arguably the best example of this style produced in Australia and this bottle didn't let that reputation down. Beautiful berry fruit nuances on the nose, extra time in the bottle has allowed this wine to develop wonderful savoury secondary characteristics. Long, long finish, this is a perfect match for the Aussie summer. The only downside is that the bottle disappeared all to quickly! :cry: And that it is missing a crown seal. Truly a beautiful experience.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

daz

Post by daz »

Bleasdale Frank Potts Cabernet Malbec 2009 This was $16.33 delivered but the 2010 has been available elsewhere recently for less than $13(no idea of its delivery cost).

From the back label, an export that never made it to Germany. Appealing, deep ruby red colour with a tinge of russet. It's full-bodied with intense black cherry, blackberry on the palate, a touch of stalky greenness and eucalypt. There's good quality oak in the background adding a subtle cedar frame to the dominant fruit. After a little breathing, on the good-length finish there's a hint of maltiness somewhere with ripe tannins and lively but fairly soft acid extending the red cherry finish. It's basically a bit of a brute of a wine with nascent complexity and potentially some finesse if cellared well for another 8+ years.

Cheers

daz

L plater

Post by L plater »

2004 Bodega Catena Zapata 'Nicolas Catena'

Beautiful wine to my taste - lovely aroma with fruit balanced well with secondary/savoury flavours. Plenty of ripe red fruit on the palate with well balanced fine tannins and french oak/vanilla. Good length. Overall velvety and balanced mouthfeel.
Already odds on to be my wine of the month

JDSJDS

Post by JDSJDS »

Bought this on sale last week, and was impressed. I have some 2009 as well that I'm holding onto for a couple of years or so...

• 2007 Sacred Hill Chardonnay Riflemans - New Zealand, North Island, Hawkes Bay (12/13/2012)
    Light in colour, with a nice nose of mainly citrus and slight oak notes. Medium bodied on the palate, with great balance: grapefruit, pear, nectarine and popcorn are the main flavours. Great acidity, balance and intensity, although it could be more concentrated. Drinking nicely now, but will certainly last a few years. (A-)

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

A couple of champers on a flight from London to Tokyo.

1999 Salon Le Mesnil - I know this may come across as heresy, but its not one of my favourites. This release is clearly way too young, and like all Salons, should be drunk at 20 years of age, when the acid and power settles down. I prefer Pierre Peters Les Chetillons from this village.

2003 Dom Perignon - I change my mind on this vintage all the time. It's just not a typical DP, though it has the trademark creamy finish. It's a good champagne, but not one of the great DPs by any stretch.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Well the festive season has started and the wine has been flowing. A few cheapies the last couple of days and a couple of absolute belters earlier today.

First the cheapies....

2009 Brookland Valley Verse 1 Chardonnay. Margaret River. 13.5%. Average run of the mill cheapish WA Chardonnay. Bit of peach, pear and a dash of oak. Bit of acidity that was a bit harsh. 2.5/5

2008 Gomersal G2 Grenache. Barossa Valley. 14.5%. Typical Barossa Grenache that has smoothed out a fraction from release. That small hint of confection is what I prefer and this shows it well. Lots of red fruits and just a touch of drying tannin. Got better with a bit of air. Nice for the money. I had it at the winery last year and was not impressed at all. I now suspect that the bottle had been open too long and had oxidised. 3.5/5

2010 The Colonial Estate Explorateur Old Vine Barossa Valley Shiraz. Barossa Valley. 15%. A bit of an oak bomb, but really easy to drink for such a young wine. The fruit is there but may need a few years to mesh a little better with the oak. Really good VFM though. 3/5

And the few better ones....

2006 Sieber Road Special Release Shiraz. Barossa Valley. 15.5%. This was really nice. Quality oak and plenty of red and black fruits with super fine tannins. Medium bodied and the high alcohol is not noticeable at all. The balance is commendable for a wine of such high alcohol and further proves that high alcohol is not a hindrance if the wine has decent balance. It's travelling really well and needed an hour or two to really shine. I'll wait a couple more years to drink the next bottle I think. 3.5/5

2008 Paringa Estate Estate Pinot Noir. Mornington Peninsula. 14%. That's twice this year now that a Pinot has floored me. The last time was earlier in the year and it was a 2010 Reserve Coldstream Hills. This wine was close to, or it's equal. It was just so incredibly well balanced. Though it was only medium bodied at best, I just couldn't get enough. Mainly red fruits with just a touch of black fruits, toasty oak and supple tannins make this wine just beautiful. I can't comment on it's ageing potential, but I'd hazard a guess it will drink it's best over the next 4 to 6 years. As soon as I got home I ordered some of this, it impressed me that much. Gee, I can't afford to fall in love with Pinot. 4.5/5

2002 Jamieson's Run McShanes Block Shiraz. Coonawarra. It's a shame that Jamieson's Run stopped making these single vineyard wines. I wonder were the fruit is being used now? I picked up a heap of these and the O'Deas's Block Cabernet several years ago when they were being run out at less than half RRP at the time. This was my last bottle of this and most certainly the best one. Every bottle has been an improvement on the last. Lovely superfine tannins and great oak/fruit balance has turned this into a super wine. Black fruits along with some nice peppery spice and toasty oak. Stayed strong even after a few hours open suggests that it still has a few years ahead which will be helped by the long, super high quality cork. 4/5

Merry Christmas to all Auswine Forumites and may 2013 bring many more nice wines. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the banter on here over the last year and many thanks to Gavin for supplying this forum for us all to talk about wine.

May the cork gods smile on us all in 2013.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

ticklenow1 wrote:2002 Jamieson's Run McShanes Block Shiraz. Coonawarra. It's a shame that Jamieson's Run stopped making these single vineyard wines. I wonder were the fruit is being used now? I picked up a heap of these and the O'Deas's Block Cabernet several years ago when they were being run out at less than half RRP at the time. This was my last bottle of this and most certainly the best one. Every bottle has been an improvement on the last. Lovely superfine tannins and great oak/fruit balance has turned this into a super wine. Black fruits along with some nice peppery spice and toasty oak. Stayed strong even after a few hours open suggests that it still has a few years ahead which will be helped by the long, super high quality cork. 4/5

These almost one off wines where the winemakers were let of the leash with some great fruit and oak from good vintages may have been discontinued due to the JR label. Much like the Jacobs Creek Limited Release label people couldn't bridge the gap between wine and label. I've been buying both from auction for many years but sadly very little around now. One of the best IMO was the JR 1998 Alexander Block Coonawara Cabernet. Stunning wine. There still a 6 pack at Oddbins Wine Auctions (http://www.oddbins.com.au) waiting for a home but at $40 each.

Cheers

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

L plater

Post by L plater »

Family Christmas party Wines

Jim Barry Watervale Riesling 2012 - I'm pretty new to riesling but this is the best I've had. Fruity (citrus) but dry, crisp finish and a bit of minerality. I've bought 6 for the next few weeks

Grosset Polish Hill Riesling 2012 - I think this is the definition of 'tight '. very focussed/narrow the minerality more dominant over the citrus compared with the above. I preferred the Jim Barry but this was still excellent

Jim Barry 'The Lodge Hill' Riesling 2008 - suffered a little compared to the first 2 - a bit fleshier/less focussed.

St Henri 2006 - classic Penfolds ripe fruit and chocolatey flavours. Well balanced fine tannins, good length
St Henri 2007 - fruit less dominant at the front of the palate and tannins more dominant and a bit smoky. the least of the three St's
St Henri 2008 - similar to the 2006 but I felt it was a bit disjointed. I noted some vanillin oak which didn't stand out with the others

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

2004 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz. Lovely to see a Aussie Shiraz where although the alcohol reading is high, it just does not show. Lovely deliniation and definition on the palate, super texture and smack bang typical flavours that you want. Dark, compact, and brooding with sweet spice flavours. Fine tannins too and a creamy texture... just a great package and although this wine has plenty of life in it, I think it is drinking really well now. It is an overused term but this is benchmark stuff.

2006 Inniskillin Ice Wine Riesling. A stupendous wine, definitely the best $10 I have ever spent! Utterly convincing, refined, elegant, concentrated. Packed full of Mango spectrum flavours, lovely fine acid backrop to keep it all in balance. not at all heavy or cloying. A pleasure to drink. I can't think of anything outside Sauterne in this genre that I can remember being better....ever. Blew everyone away.

AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley »

2005 Trevor Jones Wild Witch Shiraz: A riot in a bottle, like no other Barossa Shiraz I have ever tasted. At first you just want to smell it forever its that interesting. Gamey, smokey, leathery and raspberry fruits. Almost like a Hunter Shiraz in that it just screams 'terroir' like very few Australian wines do. This has nothing to do with sub-regions or appellations and rather has everything to do with the little patch of soil where these grapes are grown. Truly individual and utterly astounding.