Left on the shelf

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
radioactiveman

Left on the shelf

Post by radioactiveman »

Just wondering if there are any particular bottles of wine that have been sitting on the shelf of your local wineshop that just haven't moved for whatever reason?

For me, it seems that Reynell Basket Pressed shiraz and also the Cabernet have been sitting in a shop I frequent ever since I started shopping there. I think they are the '97 and '98. My understanding is that these aren't all that bad, but the same few six packs remain on the floor regardless. I must buy one to try, just out of curiosity!

Anyone else have any?

Jamie

TORB

Post by TORB »

Hi Jamie,

Good topic. Baesdow Johannas (I think thats what its called) is one, the 99 Tintara is another and Hardys 1994 Thomas is a third that comes to mind.

Cheers
Ric

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

One that really stood out for me was the local Safeway stores, which had the 1995 Diamond Valley Estate Pinot on their shelves for years, and seemed determined not to stock any other vintage until someone bought it. :roll:

This vintage was average at best and would have been over the hill, particularly as their wine store temperatures were quite warm. No-one was ever going to buy it but they might well have bought following vintages which were much better. It demonstrated for me very clearly that the people running the stores have no idea at all about fine wine.

regards
Chris

Mark P

Post by Mark P »

Yeah theres always a few bottles that never seem to sell.

97 John Riddoch - always waited for the 98 to arrive but it never did and they've still got a few 97's sitting there.

Mark

Blake

Post by Blake »

Some I've noticed over the last year or so and what i think are the reasons:

Chapel Hill reds 97/98 - good wine, but perhaps very slightly over priced at $27 mark

Wynns C/S 98 - good wine, good price but there was just HEAPS of it made.

I agree with TORB on the 99 Tintaras - price and quality was not a patch on the previous 4 vintages.

Reynell Basket Press - I've noticed this too. Not being a very approachable wine in its youth probably doesn't help. It is not cheap either.

Limestone Ridge 98 - beats me, very fine wine, good VFM at $33, perhaps the trio are suffering a bit of an identity crisis in this new era of blockbusters/hero wines ...

Classic Clare 96 Shiraz - at a tiny local bottle shop near where i live for $33.50 in any 1/2 dozen ... until i bought all 8 of them ! When you factor in VFM i don't think there was a better wine produced from that vintage.

radioactiveman

Post by radioactiveman »

Another one has just sprung to mind and I'd also like to get peoples impressions on this wine. Petaluma Shiraz. The store still has good stocks of the '99 but I believe the '00 is the current release? I got a couple of the '98 and I'm wondering about drinking windows or how it may be currently?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

BobMac

My local...

Post by BobMac »

At my local it's the lesser known varieties. 97/98/99's still on the shelf when there are newer vintages. Grenache, Mouverdre, Pinot Menuier, Durif and the King Valley stuff that isn't i series (marsamino(sp?) and barb/neb/sangio). too many customers living inside the square! :D

jono

Post by jono »

I think I know which shop you are talking about, radioactiveman(tm) - 1997 Great Western Shiraz for $29.99 per bottle at the moment, if it's the same one

I have seen a bucketload of the 97 John Riddoch and Michael hanging around - can't even sell the stuff at $49!