Question re Lindemans Commerative cab sauv magnum 1990

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
kenzo

Question re Lindemans Commerative cab sauv magnum 1990

Post by kenzo »

Has anyone tried this recently?

How does it compare to the St George from that year, or to the other Lindeman's premiums?

Thanks in advance!

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Didn't happen to get the UWC mailout did you??? :D

I had one about 2 years ago and as I remember it, it was absolutely cr@p. It had been cellared properly etc. etc. Basically it was awfully tired and way past it's drinking span. This maybe contrary to some beliefs.....

If I had the money I would go for the St George striaght away (being a straight CaB. it would in general (IMO) live longer).

Andrew

kenzo

gimpington III

Post by kenzo »

No mailouts - have a lone magnum purchased as I thought I recalled positive remarks from Fred some time ago.

Have some St George - a mag of 91 I think. I just don't find these wines give enough complexity to maintain interest nowadays.

Adair

Post by Adair »

I have a lone magnum of this sitting in its wooden box. Further impressions would be greatly appreciated.

Adair

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

I brought a mag of this to the offline we had at Alio at the time of Wine Australia (late last year?)

When I opened it, I was hit in the face but a big whiff of blackcurrents. Poured out quite red but the restaurant was very dimly lit.

Tasted much as I would expect a coonawarra cab sav of this age to taste. Probably not as good as the Wynns special release from 91 but in my mind it was a great drop and drinking very well, pretty well at its peak. I would think it would hold for a while but I doubt it would improve. I'd be looking at drinking it over the next two or three years or it might be too late.

We had some great wines that night and while it wasn't wine of the night, for me it was in the top five and there must have been over 20 bottles.

Its not a dud buy by any means.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

fred

Re: gimpington III

Post by fred »

kenzo wrote:No mailouts - have a lone magnum purchased as I thought I recalled positive remarks from Fred some time ago.

Have some St George - a mag of 91 I think. I just don't find these wines give enough complexity to maintain interest nowadays.

When my name is taken in vain or otherwise I shall try ot respond.

Simon,

The wine is not as good as the Wynns but still fine and approaching its peak in magnum. It lacks the complexity of the Wynns surprisingly and will not last as long, but it is still a very good blend albeit with some variation

"Lindemans sequicentenary cab 90(?) from magnum: surprisingly starting a decline, not as big as remembered..." (3/8/02)

"Lindemans.....slight violet and great depth but not quite the complexity I had hoped for..." (17/7/00)

"....magnum of wine but I cannot believe this is consistent as full and big completely integrated and merged blend with stuffing to go although it just misses the spot...perhaps consistent with the slightly disappointing Limestone Ridge of the same vintage although quite different wines..." (18/5/01)

Not tasted since the August 2002 offline, but even then was a good wine - if not a great bottle. Many of these magnums suffered multiple trauma:-

displayed as highlights under hot lights in various stores and frequent trading - so provenance is likely to be a real issue.

I would not be buying it in a hurry but if you bought early and stored it well it should be fine and open for current drinking (which is not what you would expect of a potential flagship magnum from this company).

For a number of years a particular city (sydney) restaurant had it on its winelist for standard rrp ($90-110 ) for the magnum which represented excellent value compared with anything else on that list!! I do believe that members of my family consumed most of the supply in the late 90s as mild vinfanticide...

looking forward to your note on drinking it....
fred