Old Bordeaux - what would you cook to accompany it?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Old Bordeaux - what would you cook to accompany it?

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

Although 97% of my cellar isn't French, I have a very small quantity of 82 and 83 Bordeaux. Strangely, they might warrant opening in the next year or three, and it has occurred to me: what food do I serve it with?

It will be at home (I'm not driving anywhere for those wines) and I'm known to dabble in the kitchen, so that is not a hardship. But what food flavours, textures, etc should I be going for?

Advice appreciated

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Mahmoud Ali

Re: Old Bordeaux - what would you cook to accompany it?

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I don't know what you mean by "strangely" in that you say "Strangely, they might warrant opening in the next year or three" but you can't go wrong with roast lamb.

Cheers...................Mahmoud.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I was thinking lamb as well....

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:I don't know what you mean by "strangely" in that you say "Strangely, they might warrant opening in the next year or three" but you can't go wrong with roast lamb.

I'm guessing that's in the sense of "after all this time it's strange to think they might actually get drunk instead of just looked at".
3, 65, 7, 50

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

I would think about something a bit different. Maybe some poultry like Quail, Pheasant, Guinea Fowl or even Duck.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Loztralia wrote:
Mahmoud Ali wrote:I don't know what you mean by "strangely" in that you say "Strangely, they might warrant opening in the next year or three" but you can't go wrong with roast lamb.

I'm guessing that's in the sense of "after all this time it's strange to think they might actually get drunk instead of just looked at".

A fair pick-up. Mahmoud. Lostralia has picked up on my somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment however - I figure nearly 30 years is sufficient before attempting to extract the cork, and I would be concerned about opening 2nd or 3rd growths (or any other wine, for that matter) too late. They must be just about ready by now, surely? :)

It's interesting that just about everyone has gone for lamb, lamb and lamb. Isn't this also supposed to be the classic match with Coonawarra cabernet?

Sharkey's suggestion of "Maybe some poultry like Quail, Pheasant, Guinea Fowl or even Duck" could be interesting as well. Maybe not duck (I am of the school of thought that pinot and duck are a match made in heaven), but pheasant could work for me. I suspect it would be a case of opening / decanting the wine in the afternoon, tasting it, then rushing our to the butcher / poulterer of choice after making a decision. Or having options on standby. :D I have visions of Fawlty Towers "Ducks off, sorry"

Is there a case for drinking one of these as a stand-alone wine (or one of a bracket, depending on numbers), after a main course, perhaps?

Thanks for the opinions to date.

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

Waiters Friend wrote:Is there a case for drinking one of these as a stand-alone wine (or one of a bracket, depending on numbers), after a main course, perhaps?

Yes, with cheese after the meal. You could have a variety of cheeses on standby and choose a few appropriate ones after trying the wine.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Got to the Yeeros Shop at Marrickville (not Victoria Yeeros), buy a full roll of lamb Yeeros and then buy a kebab cooker http://www.ljstuart.com.au/cgi-bin/page ... oker%20Gas

Get Bordeaux, sit around cooker and slice off lamb as it cooks.

Then you are ready to meet your Maker. :P

daz67

Post by daz67 »

Allan,

I am with sharky - the pheasant or guinea fowl would be my choices - add a jus and some earthy tones with some mushrooms too maybe. Though AC origin and specific chateau might be a consideration too.

Daz